• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I need a suggestion for a Windows-based music player that has a web frontend.

other requirements
  1. Software can play bitperfect DSD/FLAC files
  2. Freeware is preferable but not mandatory
  3. Nice looking frontend. I've tried foobar2000 + beefweb plugin (which allows me access foobar remotely via browser) and I did not like the UI.
I am running MPD + a client on my linux box but this PC needs to stay on Windows.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
other requirements
  1. Nice looking frontend. I've tried foobar2000 + beefweb and I did not like the UI.
I am running MPD + a client on my linux box but this PC needs to stay on Windows.

Thanks a lot.
Which UI did you try?

There's a couple of nice ones to see in this thread.

OP
R
Which UI did you try?

There's a couple of nice ones to see in this thread.

The beefweb web plugin covers with it own UI. I'm not talking about the foobar (non-web) UI

Sokel

Master Contributor
The beefweb web plugin covers with it own UI. I'm not talking about the foobar (non-web) UI
I see they have some nice modded ones here if I understand correctly:

1701252417984.jpeg

(I have no idea about beefweb so excuse my ignorance if it's irrelevant)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At least in my case of Windows-PC-based audio rig, I very much prefer JRiver MC to Roon.... (Roon was recently acquired by Harman, a Samsung group company, ref. here).

dartinbout

I've used J. River for many years. Although it's a technically adequate playback SW, it's capacity to handle >200k audio and the accompanying cover\documentation album files is far superior to Roon, Ardivarnia (sic) and Foobar. HQPlayer is a great technical software player but it is intensely unwieldy for anything but wacky one-off codecs (DSD512, 768 and the like). You don't even need to pay to upgrade J. River. Most of the recent improvements have been for video and streaming.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
To the best of my knowledge most media players are designed with local playback in mind.
You might try using a remote desktop. Simply login on the PC remotely.
Another option is running a UPnP server on the PC.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To the best of my knowledge most media players are designed with local playback in mind.

I agree, if OP would seriously need remote PC operation.

I have been using free personal version of "AnyDesk" for long years which works really nicely within home LAN as well as through internet access from out of home.

Using "AnyDesk" I was/am always operating my PCs and PC-workstations at my home office and at living room in Japan, even remote desktop access from abroad, e.g. from California and London; it is almost stress-free under present high-speed optical internet environments...

OP
R
At least in my case of Windows-PC-based audio rig, I very much prefer JRiver MC to Roon.... (Roon was recently acquired by Harman, a Samsung group company, ref. here).
any chance you can include a pic of what it looks like on a browser? thanks

OP
R
with MPD, I have option of controlling the playback via browser. So it can be both local and remote (like on my work laptop)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
any chance you can include a pic of what it looks like on a browser? thanks

JRiver MC is an independent player software which does not run on a browser.

JeremyFife

I use JRiver and like it. They do have a remote solution - which I have not used, so can't comment on: https://jremote.jriver.com/

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried it, sounds good (based on what JRiver themselves say!)

audio_tony

I note OP is running an MPD server already - so they could use MyMPD which is one of the best (if not the best) web interfaces to MPD

Or staying with MPD; AMPD

Alternately;

Logitech media server with the Material skin. Works on desktop and mobile, and LMS gives bit perfect playback.

quatmo

Graham849

Forum Donor
JRiver MC is an independent player software which does not run on a browser.
Webgizmo and jremote allow alternate methods of controlling jriver, with many skins.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I use JRiver and like it. They do have a remote solution - which I have not used, so can't comment on: https://jremote.jriver.com/

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried it, sounds good (based on what JRiver themselves say!)
JRemote2 is pretty much basic app useful for browsing local collection, tag comparison, volume and playback zone control.
@r3uba6HBHa2Ye7F JRiver does support web interface it whose Webgizmo and now it's Panel.
Real reason to at least try it on Windows is it's WDM driver.

Grael

I thought of that but unsure if wasapi can play DSD.

My experience with DSD is seeing lots of foobar2000 guides and telling me I need to use ASIO.
It should work with Dop, but not native dsd

Top Bottom