• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I need a high power cheap amp

shortyg83

I currently have an Emotiva XPA-2 Gen-2. I have had nothing with problems with it since I have gotten it. It went back to them already they replaced a board and it still just randomly pops and goes into protect. I am just done with it.
I have Focal Aria 936 Speakers, and I feel like when they are hooked up to my small NAD amp or my Yamaha Aventage Receiver they just lose a lot of the dynamics and audibly don't sound as good as the emotiva. So I am looking to replace it for something around the same price. Was thinking two of the new Outlaw 2220 amps but I would be losing some power going to those. Is there anything under 1k for 2 monoblocks or one stereo amp in the 300wpc area? right now I am between either two schiit Vidars or 2 outlaw 2220.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe a Crown XLS1502 or above. Difference between 200wpc and 300wpc is all of 1.8dB....the 2220 is a good consideration, tho.

JSmith

Master Contributor
under 1k for 2 monoblocks or one stereo amp in the 300wpc
About $520USD each...

• Distortion: THD+N – – 0.0020 % 20Hz
• Frequency Response: 10 – 50k Hz +0/-3dB
• Low Distortion: THD+N – – 0.0020 % 20Hz
• High Input Impedance 47K
• 26 dB Gain
• Ultra High Damping Factor
• Power rating
400W @ 2ohm
500W @ 4ohm
270W @ 8ohm

JSmith

OP
S

shortyg83

Would the class D be a step down from the ab i have? Besides the fact that mine isn’t working great.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Would the class D be a step down from the ab i have?
TBH a step up... these are Hypex NCore based amps.

index.php

Higher power model... but indicative;

index.php

You can get stereo, but I just posted the mono-blocks since you mentioned same... however IMO mono-blocks are generally unnecessary.

JSmith

UCrazyKid

If you want a lot of power on the cheap, look at the Crown XL amplifiers.

JSmith

Master Contributor

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using the Buckey NC502MP. It's an amazing stereo amp for $699 shipped.
2 channel NC502MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $699 shipped
- 2x450w @ 2ohm
- 2x500w @ 4ohm
- 2x350w @ 8ohm
This is the best value I have seen for a high quality, high power amp. I'm using it with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and it's a powerful BEAST that weighs only 5.5 pounds and with only 24W drives my BMR monitors to 81dB. The NC502MP would seriously drive those Focal Aria 936 Speakers. :D

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll chime in with going for the Buckeye as well, great amp modules.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
If you are looking for value in a great sounding amp with heaps of power - go for the XLS2500 (1st generation) - you should be able to pick them up used for US$300... 440W 8ohm 775W 4ohm 1200W 2ohm - and bridgeable if needed - also has onboard DSP so if you get several of them you can use the oboard DSP crossovers for BiAmping.

Does have a fan - but I have never heard it turn on... (I don't use 1/10th of its power... the rest is headroom)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Those suggesting a Crown amp to replace an Emotiva XPA-2 to drive some lovely Focal Aria 936's, doesn't make much sense to me as any kind of upgrade from the Emotiva;

index.php

... just sayin'.

JSmith

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, a stereo NC502MP sounds perfect. Buckeye best value in USA. Probably Audiophonics or Nord in Europe--not sure about that.

F

freemansteve

Hypex, for the money, every day of the week....
Several (literal) box builders using nCore in the US, plus Nord in the UK and other in EU.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Those suggesting a Crown amp to replace an Emotiva XPA-2 to drive some lovely Focal Aria 936's, doesn't make much sense to me as any kind of upgrade from the Emotiva;

index.php

... just sayin'.

JSmith

Try to use the Emotiva to drive speakers that drop down to around 1.5ohm - that is where you start to find the limitations of many amp designs.

The Crowns will cruise through it.... and end up sounding superior.

But yes with an 8ohm design having the worst of its impedance dropping to 3ohm (between circa 100Hz and 500Hz), and sensitivity of 92db the Emotiva will probably do fine - these are not hard to drive speakers.

OP
S

shortyg83

Just to add , I went with a choice a lot of people probably would not have gone with. I got 2 Schiit Vidars that I am running as mono blocks from a Schiit Freya S. And I am very happy with them.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to add , I went with a choice a lot of people probably would not have gone with. I got 2 Schiit Vidars that I am running as mono blocks from a Schiit Freya S. And I am very happy with them.
The budget always gets blown :p

Actungz

What was your reasoning choosing the vidar over other options like hypex or outlaw? Just seeking feedback before it’s my time to upgrade.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have Focal Aria 936 Speakers, and I feel like when they are hooked up to my small NAD amp or my Yamaha Aventage Receiver they just lose a lot of the dynamics and audibly don't sound as good as the emotiva.
How about 2x 250 into 4 ohms, 2 ohm safe (those Arias dip down quite a lot) starting at 500 bucks:

They beat your stuff easily and don't cost much. You can bridge them if you buy a second one later.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I love my Outlaw 2200s. I am waiting on Chassis from Ghent to finish 5 channels of NC400 Mono-Love.

I think either option would be good, but Hypex FTW.

Top Bottom