• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I like my quiet stereo

ttb

I spent about 2000$ on a TV and 2000$ on a Sony AVR and 5.1.2 atmos speakers (towers for front , bookshelf for rear etc ) at Best Buy last year - it was all half off for the Super Bowl , and damn it I like it. I listen to it “quietly” and don’t piss off the neighbors - apartment. And it’s sounds damn better than a sound bar and I can hear the voices and music sound’s appropriately good and stuff.

I just wanted to say that. I don’t want Loud I just want good. Screw loud , just give me good

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I spent about 2000$ on a TV and 2000$ on a Sony AVR and 5.1.2 atmos speakers (towers for front , bookshelf for rear etc ) at Best Buy last year - it was all half off for the Super Bowl , and damn it I like it. I listen to it “quietly” and don’t piss off the neighbors - apartment. And it’s sounds damn better than a sound bar and I can hear the voices and music sound’s appropriately good and stuff.

I just wanted to say that. I don’t want Loud I just want good. Screw loud , just give me good
That is really awesome! I agree with you on those sound bars. My system will soon be a 5.1.2 also. Currently it is only 5.1 and it doesn't suck, but I have plans to add ATMOS.

For those of us who like to occasionally get loud apartments and condos are rarely an option. I would hate to live near me.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Just the thing to listen to this chestnut.
s-l1600.jpg

(borrowed image)

:cool:

In all seriousness, and FWIW, I rarely listen to the hifi loud any more, either.
I am pleased to have assembled a hifi that sounds excellent even at very low SPL.

coonmanx

I had a neighbor who always liked playing music very loud. But he didn't like it when the cops knocked on his door. Finally, after a year and some change he seems to have changed his ways.

I don't do that. I did hear some of his music when he got into the shower today but I am sure that he also enjoyed my Who "Live at Leeds" CD that I played for him. Even then I refrained from really cranking it up.

A good stereo will sound good at low volume.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just the thing to listen to this chestnut.
s-l1600.jpg

(borrowed image)

:cool:

In all seriousness, and FWIW, I rarely listen to the hifi loud any more, either.
I am pleased to have assembled a hifi that sounds excellent even at very low SPL.
Same here. And it took quite a while in my case to get it to sound good loud or soft. Seeing how many different commercial speakers some people go through to reach sonic nirvana, perhaps our way isn't as masochistic as I once thought...

Zog

Nice to hear - or should I say read! Two points - one bad and one good. Some music just has to be played loud - think Le Sacre by Stravinsky for example. The more important point is Subwoofers. I too have neighbour issues and cannot enjoy music if I think I am disturbing someone. But with lower level listening the first thing to fall off is the bass. Hence my suggestion. When Napoleon (not to mention Moses) listened to his Hi-Fi at low levels what he did was to switch on the Loudness Button on his HiFi. That is still a valid option, at least it would be if it was available on your pre-amp or integrated. A better option is a sub. I can now listen at volumes that keep things in balance.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
FWIW, I've never been a bass hog. I am fine with polite LF reproduction of most kinds of music, although I will readily cop to enjoying a bit of boom-thwack on occasion. :)

Herewith, two favorite boom-thwack tracks. I'll apologize prospectively for the second one, which is pure-play audiophile. ;) I still like it.

PS Both of the above are - in all seriousness - excellent diagnostic tools for loose driver fasterners on loudspeaker enclosures. :cool:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm with you on bass. It needs to be flat response and the right level.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, I've never been a bass hog. I am fine with polite LF reproduction of most kinds of music, although I will readily cop to enjoying a bit of boom-thwack on occasion. :)

Herewith, two favorite boom-thwack tracks. I'll apologize prospectively for the second one, which is pure-play audiophile. ;) I still like it.

PS Both of the above are - in all seriousness - excellent diagnostic tools for loose driver fasterners on loudspeaker enclosures. :cool:
Never have been a bass hog either. I have always liked taut bass... back in the 2 cu ft sealed box days that usually meant bass that was a bit rolled off. Today you can find pretty taut bass with serious extension.

So I played both tracks at a quiet level and they were pleasant enough... turning up the Blue Man just up to 95dBC peaks really pressurized the room and became quite exciting though. Jennifer Warnes on the other hand was more engaging at a level between "quiet" and the Blue Man Group... that bass drum was rather stunning at higher levels but higher playback levels didn't fit the music.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Same here. Not a fan of subs, because I personally think long excursion sub speakers sound sloppy and tubby.
Maybe okay for a Micheal Bay explosion movie, but not for music.
I've preferred a large woofered 3 or 5 way speaker over the years versus a satellite subwoofer system. It's louder and more fun but good subs are good. :D

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Thanks the R3 are really showing off there bass here!

Top Bottom