• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I have a feeling I will be listening to a lot more vinyl

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope she does not lay claim to my records, like I did with some of my dad's!
That is how I eventually discovered I actually liked classical music.

At school it was a matter of peer pressure to ignore it in music lessons, we had the latest Beatles and Rolling Stones singles we wanted to listen to.
I only discovered hifi when I left home and needed some way to play my records but one day, going through my records to decide what to play I came across Schubert's 9th Symphony which I must have picked up by accident when I had last retrieved my LPs at my parent's house.
So I didn't "acquire" it deliberately but it was fortuitous.

Anyway I played it and spotted a few nice tunes - I was really into tuneful folk music by then and frequenting "The Troubadour" in Earl's Court.
Subsequently I played it a few more times and bought a few more Schubert LPs and it all grew from there.

With the music of the day I tended to get really into one record and play it a lot for a while, then lose interest and rarely if ever, play it again.
I still love Schubert's 9th Symphony 51 years later.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have a R2R that I use for making recordings of playlists and his most recent good behavour reward was a tape recording of his favourite songs. It's been so much fun and I love it.

I have fond memories of my Dad making recordings on his RTR in the loungeroom, of my little sister and I reciting poems and generally being silly in the very early 1970s.

Get out a mic or two and capture his voice for posterity on magnetic tape. It's really cool to give it to him, like my Dad did nearly 50 years later.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
At school it was a matter of peer pressure to ignore it in music lessons,

Same for me. Even though I loved playing the flute, and my wind teacher was a founding member of a legendary jazz band here, it was not cool and I was teased about being the teacher's pet etc. I dropped music lessons only after a few years.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was really into tuneful folk music by then and frequenting "The Troubadour" in Earl's Court.
I was on a nostalgia trip looking into my old stamping ground and discovered that "The Troubadour is still going strong and the history got itself a Wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubadour,_London

I frequented it from 1968 to 1972.
It was known that if you showed up on folk night with a guitar and did 3 songs you got free coffee all evening (!) and a lot of young as yet unknown musicians took advantage of the offer.
It was tiny, a cellar under the coffee shop. To get to it you had to go behind the counter so not obvious if you weren't taken there by somebody in the know.
The "stage" was the small area that was actually the bit under the footpath where there was a cast iron and glass opening cover where coal used to be delivered. It was enough for 3 people to perform together, just.
Some of the musicians who became famous later still showed up and did 3 songs for free coffee if they were in London.
Paul Simon, who was in London in his early years, was the only one I saw. It was magical. He showed up with a guitar and some girls, sat in the alcove under the pavement and blew us away. It has to be said that a LOT of the peole who showed up to play were NOT going to become famous though...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With the music of the day I tended to get really into one record and play it a lot for a while, then lose interest and rarely if ever, play it again.
I still love Schubert's 9th Symphony 51 years later.
I have reflected on this too.
The Beatles were the band when I was growing up and everybody waited for each album to come out with great excitement. I was a bit of a rebel and preferred the Rolling Stones.
I duplicated most of my Beatles LPs with CDs when they came out, and quite a few Rolling Stones.
I literally never play the Beatles CDs and only a few 'Stones favourites.
I now have several interpretations of Schubert's 9th Symphony and still play it sometimes.

Top Bottom