• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I have a clean sound, so what next?

ErVikingo

I think you should enjoy more music
Dad had a quote allegedly by Alan Parsons in his music room: “Audiophiles don't use their equipment to listen to music. Audiophiles use your music to listen to their equipment”

Spend time setting up, then just enjoy the music. Only setup left is how loud!

ozzy9832001

Thanks for the responses. I think my takeaway is going to be to just enjoy music for a while and maybe go speaker shopping when I next want to treat myself. I see the value in room treatment and taking measurements but my options are so limited by the room shape, size and family practicalities that I doubt I could make useful changes anyway.

I think I might be someone who just dips their toe into this audiophile pool rather than diving right in.
Probably one of the most respectable decisions I've seen made. Knowing what the limits are and when to say that's not for me or I've had enough.

It's so easy to get wrapped up in everything...the chase can be more addictive than the actual results.

Enjoy your music and if you decide to go another route at some point, then pop in and we'll help you as best we can.

nygafre

Not Zensors, but I like to apply about 1-2db lower treble on my Spektors as they can be slightly sharp w/some material/sounds.

No expert here, but I suspect the sligth load dependency of the Fosi might aggravate the treble response somewhat? I found that to be the case also with my Argon SA1 amp.

I also have some measurements from my room, with a Powernode N330, where I had the speakers front firing vs toed in. You can see the toed in response gets brigther with the curve in purple. For full disclosure I also had treble +1db in this measurement. Still, there would be about 3db difference if the EQ were set to neutral.
IMG_3482.jpeg

So at least ensure the speakers are firing straight ahead. Edit: I mixed the curves in this post - they are actually showing toe in (purple) and with -2db/firing straight ahead (green). Later post also updated with better scale.

After changing to the Powernode, I have not noticed much if the sharpness, even w/o EQ.

Last edited:

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I also have some measurements from my room, with a Powernode N330, where I had the speakers front firing vs toed in. You can see the toed in response gets brigther with the curve in purple. For full disclosure I also had treble +1db in this measurement. Still, there would be about 3db difference if the EQ were set to neutral.
View attachment 309107
So at least ensure the speakers are firing straight ahead.

Why do you use a SPL scale from 5dBSpl to 140dBSpl?
You don't see sh?t with such a huge scale and it donesn't even make sense physical. I mean - 140dBSpl, really? Why show that?

Try 40dBSpl to 100dBSpl and let's watch again :)

IamJF

I always found most KEF speakers have a warm tuning. To warm for my liking but the rest is often very good with these, probably worth a try.

nygafre

Why do you use a SPL scale from 5dBSpl to 140dBSpl?
You don't see sh?t with such a huge scale and it donesn't even make sense physical. I mean - 140dBSpl, really? Why show that?

Try 40dBSpl to 100dBSpl and let's watch again :)
Sorry, know the scale is too big. Don’t have access to my ‘correct’ graphs as I’m away from home :) Still you should get an impression on the HF… so why not show it? It was just to make a point regarding positioning.

nygafre

Actually, I did have access to my measurements. And I was wrong in my other post; the curves there were showing with toe in and the other -2db/straight ahead. Here's the measurements with better scale, 40-100db. Brown line is with toe in, green is firing straight ahead and blue is with -2db treble applied.
Neutral_toein_-2db.jpg

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audiophiles use your music to listen to their equipment”
Yes. I find myself sitting in my listening room with the power off... listening to my gear sometimes. It feels like a perfect metaphor for trying to seize the moment... as it fleets by at the speed of sound (silence).

IamJF

I use a significant amount of my life to try to produce meaningful acoustic measurements. So I'm probably a little sensitive about this topic and mayyybe overreacted a little ...
Sorry :D

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I use a significant amount of my life to try to produce meaningful acoustic measurements. So I'm probably a little sensitive about this topic and mayyybe overreacted a little ...
Sorry :D
I once remotely fixed whole FR of Focal Diablos and SVS sub by telling over to move a little bit left speaker and with single PEQ (hire). It whose with lot of luck for sure. Had much more work with my own setup but managed to get where I want it to be (which partly whose because I am complicated). I am certain you will accomplish the same for you.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on measurements from this site I've just replaced an old Denon mini system (DM-39) with a Wiim Pro into SMSL SU-1 dac into Fosi Audio V3 into my old Dali Zensor 1 speakers. The TV goes into the Wiim. This is my main system so needs to do music and TV. I'm currently using Amazon and Spotify for streaming.
Since installing a few days ago the sound is definitely different, perhaps more detailed, but I wouldn't say better. I know the Dali speakers can be a bit trebbly ...
Measurements seem to show that you actually have "a lot of trebbly":
  • The Dali speakers have a 3+dB treble spike. Pretty wide range 8-20kHz. Easily/very audible.
  • The Fosi amp adds another treble spike: FR shows 1+dB. May also be pretty 'rough' treble (~60 SINAD)
That's a lot of trebbly, your sound may very well be in unlistenable territory.

Cheapest/quickest fix: as already suggested, use the Wiim EQ to dial down the treble. I'd try -5dB.
Another cheap fix: sell that Fosi, it does not work well with your speakers (IMO, it's not good at all, just very cheap). Use your old Denon as amp.

A nicer/better but more expensive solution: sell the DAC, sell the amp and use a much simpler setup with only Wiim + active speakers. E.g. Iloud MTM should be good enough for your room, here they are against a bookshelf ~like yours.
Alternative: the much cheaper (but riskier) Neumi actives.
Even better actives (but much more expensive): any midsize Neumann tested on ASR.

Last edited:

gasolin75

Measurements seem to show that you actually have "a lot of trebbly":
  • The Dali speakers have a 3+dB treble spike. Pretty wide range 8-20kHz. Easily/very audible.
  • The Fosi amp adds another treble spike: FR shows 1+dB. May also be pretty 'rough' treble (~60 SINAD)
That's a lot of trebbly, your sound may very well be in unlistenable territory.

They might have that to give an impression of "fake" details

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Thanks for the responses. I think my takeaway is going to be to just enjoy music for a while and maybe go speaker shopping when I next want to treat myself. I see the value in room treatment and taking measurements but my options are so limited by the room shape, size and family practicalities that I doubt I could make useful changes anyway.

I think I might be someone who just dips their toe into this audiophile pool rather than diving right in.

It sounds like you may have liked your previous electronics better with these speakers. Have you tried going back to that setup for comparison?

OP
I

IndieSynth

Yes the old setup is now my desktop system, and sounds pretty good nearfield, although will need a subwoofer at some point.

I ended up getting Wharfdale Diamond 12.2 speakers for my main setup and am enjoying them. Much more bass, and they achieve the subjective 'warmth' I was looking for. Next step is room correction, I'm hoping Wiim come up with a basic solution soon.

Top Bottom