• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I don't know what stereo power amp to buy, or keep the A800

Promit

I recently got a Behringer A800 for a song ($250) out of curiosity to see if I liked having a separate stereo amp for the front towers in my 5 channel setup. It turns out that I do like it, but it's a little frustrating that the A800 does not have automatic or triggered power. I'm currently trying to decide what to do:
1) Leave everything as it is, suck it up with the vampire power draw and idle hiss. Maybe run the gains a bit low for the latter.
2) Triggered/smart power strip. Kind of a headache to place this inside a rack cabinet, and I don't know how easy it is to get the threshold setting right.
3) Buy an HT focused amp that has an actual trigger port. It would be awfully helpful if it fits in 2U, or maybe behind the TV.

#3 has me looking at an Emotiva BasX A-300, although I'm dubious that it's worth the expense even with the emobucks promotion. But if I set a price ceiling of $400 here (ie no Hypex), what would you do? I just want something transparent with good headroom, and I'm a little dubious of the ICEpower options.

Setup details: Monitor Audio Silver 500 towers at 8 ohms nominal, and ideally I'd like to have 100W/ch available. Driving the system off a Denon X3400h right now, but hoping to move to a 3600 and a more elaborate Atmos enabled setup down the line.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

Ronfb

I bought a used NAD M25 and it made a big difference especially with stereo music. I think would have happily lived with a good 2 channel amp and use the reciever for the other channels. A few days ago the amp stuck on, so not only is the trigger not working, I had to pull the plug to turn it off

I made a 12 volt trigger receptacle using a 12 volt relay. The replay is rated for 20 Amps and was small enough to fit in a PVC receptacle box with the receptacle. It has a trigger cable with a phono plug out the side that plugs into the reciever. Cheap to make and works the same as the trigger in the amp.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A800 probably draws around 15 watts at idle. Just turn it off at night.

Top Bottom