• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HYPEX Plate Amp - Help needed

Mjpmark

Go easy on me, first post.

Hi All, I have gotten myself way in over my head. Custom speaker build all done and happy with the physical aspect.

So I'm powering the speakers with

1x hypex fa253
1x hypex fa501

So I've downloaded the Hypex software HFD. I've managed to pretty much upload an empty filter to allow me to hear the drivers working. I've been unable to get the 501 to fire the sub woofer. So my question is, can anyone recommend someone capable of writing the filters for me? I'm happy to pay, but i fear that by saying I'm a novice or amateur would be a great disservice to the amateurs and novices. And I'm pretty useless with IT.

Cheers

Mark

MisterOZ

Hey Mark,

did you read the hfd manual?

With that you should be able to setup the filters yourself very easy. Just take Page 21 and set LR4 Filters at an estimated cutoff frequency (same on both channels) and you are good. The levels can be done by ear. But without any measurement gear, it will always be only an approximation. Setting up the EQ without microphone is impossible.

Do you have the two FAs on the left and on the right side? How are they connected?

BR Oliver

OP
M

Mjpmark

OK so left side I have the 3 upper drivers connected to the fa253, then the fa501 connected to the 12 inch sub. Rca cable going from output of fa253 to input of 501 no sound or movement from woofer. Then the 501 powers down, I'm guessing due to inactivity.

MisterOZ

The rca output of the fa253 is a digital spdif (and remote) so to output any audio signal there, you have to connect the fa253 also digital to the source or your preamp. And there is no digital/analog conversation in the FA amps. So you can only forward digital to digital or analog to analog.

BUT (and that’s the main problem) the fa501 doesn‘t have digital Inputs at all, the remote rca connection input is only for remote signals.

To daisy chain the two amps you have to use both analog XLR (for audio) and rca (for remote and power on/off).

OP
M

Mjpmark

Awesome post, yep tried the xlr to xlr. Worked a treat. Sounds like s**t but works. See why I need to outsource the next stage lol.

MisterOZ

I suspect you have connected the woofer to nc252mp_ch1, midrange to nc252mp_ch2, and the tweeter to nc100hf?

Top Bottom