• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex 250MP not working.

MX48

I have been using a 250MP for a few years for an active speaker.

Turned it on yesterday and it will play for about 1/2 second and then stop playing. If I turn off the power and wait about 15-20 seconds and reapply power same thing.
Is there anyone here with the expertise to fix it so I don't have to consider sending it to Hypex. With shipping it might not be worth it to send to The Netherlands. I don't have the expertise or tools for this kind of repair.
I have looked at the board and removed the back plate and don't see any burned or blown areas.

Thanks in advance.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Is the sound normal when it does work, or is it very quiet, or "buzzy" or "grungy" or have a strange frequency response. You may need to play a test tone to check this given the very short time you have to listen.

If it sounds OK, it may be the overload/DC protection of the amplifier being overzealous. Alternatively, it might be the power supply being overzealous (or reacting to a problem). On the other hand, there may be a problem it's reacting to, such as DC on the input. If you unplug all sources does it appear to stay on? Do you have a voltmeter so you can check DC at the speaker terminals? Does it work with only one channel connected etc.

If it sounds distorted or is quiet, it could be an amplifier or PSU fault, rather than overzealous protection.

Beyond this point it's hard to fault-find without having it on a bench with test gear and circuit diagrams. You could search to see if there's an engineer in your area who could look at it.

OP
M

MX48

Is the sound normal when it does work, or is it very quiet, or "buzzy" or "grungy" or have a strange frequency response. You may need to play a test tone to check this given the very short time you have to listen.

If it sounds OK, it may be the overload/DC protection of the amplifier being overzealous. Alternatively, it might be the power supply being overzealous (or reacting to a problem). On the other hand, there may be a problem it's reacting to, such as DC on the input. If you unplug all sources does it appear to stay on? Do you have a voltmeter so you can check DC at the speaker terminals? Does it work with only one channel connected etc.

If it sounds distorted or is quiet, it could be an amplifier or PSU fault, rather than overzealous protection.

Beyond this point it's hard to fault-find without having it on a bench with test gear and circuit diagrams. You could search to see if there's an engineer in your area who could look at it.
It is on long enough to hear the sound is normal as I had a test tone on.

Hoping there is someone on here that I could send it to. If not I will have to decide on my next step.

Thanks for the response.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It is on long enough to hear the sound is normal as I had a test tone on.

Hoping there is someone on here that I could send it to. If not I will have to decide on my next step.

Thanks for the response.
I would certainly check to see if there's any DC in your system, in case the amplifier is actually going off to protect the speakers. If that's the case it's not the amplifier causing the problem.

OP
M

MX48

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I had done testing before posting this.
Hooked up another known working driver and same thing happens.
I assume the amp could be shutting itself down to protect the speakers, but it is definitely the amp that is the problem.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might also try cooling it with a fan to see if it stays on longer.

I could fix but shipping adds cost too. A local electronics repair shop can service.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Sorry, I should have made it clear that I had done testing before posting this.
Hooked up another known working driver and same thing happens.
I assume the amp could be shutting itself down to protect the speakers, but it is definitely the amp that is the problem.
Trying a different driver does not eliminate DC on the input triggering the protection. You could try a thousand different drivers without benefit if you have DC from a source. Use a voltmeter to confirm you don't have DC entering the amplifier.

Top Bottom