• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Ncore mute on startup - custom input board

Hi there. I am making a DIY build with some Hypex Ncore NC500MP boards. There will be a couple of amp modules in a box with custom input PCB for signal detect auto power on, 12V trigger IO, and temperature monitoring.

I was thinking of adding some kind of soft start functionality, i.e. have the amp modules muted on turn on/off, to reduce pops and/or speaker damage. At the moment, this is done by using the amp power good signal to control the amp mute input. Is there any point in doing this if I am controlling the amp ps enable line to bring amp modules in and out of standby mode. For reference, the amp module datasheet is here: https://www.hypex.nl/media/90/08/74/1646057938/NC500MP_04xx.pdf.

If anyone has any comments, suggestions, advice, that'd be much appreciated.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Neurochrome.com already has a good soft start. If it does not work for you, he also offers some useful advice here:

p.s. Also Audiophonics has a range of options that are so inexpensive, may not make sense to design your own…

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Hi there. I am making a DIY build with some Hypex Ncore NC500MP boards. There will be a couple of amp modules in a box with custom input PCB for signal detect auto power on, 12V trigger IO, and temperature monitoring.

I was thinking of adding some kind of soft start functionality, i.e. have the amp modules muted on turn on/off, to reduce pops and/or speaker damage. At the moment, this is done by using the amp power good signal to control the amp mute input. Is there any point in doing this if I am controlling the amp ps enable line to bring amp modules in and out of standby mode. For reference, the amp module datasheet is here: https://www.hypex.nl/media/90/08/74/1646057938/NC500MP_04xx.pdf.

If anyone has any comments, suggestions, advice, that'd be much appreciated.
Having tried this solution, my advise: don't loose your time. The amp is muted until ready and then automatically un-muted. Keeping it muted and un-muting it later has no effect on startup noise. Exploring various ways of grounding can bring more satisfying results.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Hypex make a soft-start module: https://www.diyclassd.com/products/diy-components/smps/softstart-module

However, as others have mentioned I don't think this is necessary with their current SMPS powered amp modules. Early on, when they first released their UcD modules they originally used them with a linear power supply, with toroidal transformers and a large bank of capacitors. For larger transformers, a soft-start was recommended to prevent the transformer and capacitor bank inrush current from blowing fuses or tripping RCDs.

Hypex UcD700HG with linear PSU and soft-start:

1704287944080.jpeg

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will add that I missed earlier that you plan to use Hypex MP modules, so the need for a soft start may be lessened. Otoh, the in-rush current on these is not insignificant and might be still worthwhile...

I would suggest dropping a quick note to Hypex support and see what they recommend.:)

OP
M
Hi All. Thank you for all your replies. I think my question has been answered.

I won’t bother putting in extra muting driven by the amp power good signal. Similarly, I’ll let the amp SMPS power up without additional soft start circuitry.

Top Bottom