• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Huge Noise Band Between 18KHz and 21KHz - Why?

ichliebes

I was checking if the albums I bought are affected by the UMG Watermark, luckily they are not. But compare to HR version, the CD version seems to have a huge noise band between 18KHz and 21KHz. I'm wondering why this is... I have seen this in other audio files as well. Google search returns nothing helpful :( Could someone please help me?

P.S. sorry for my bad english.
CD.jpg
HR.jpg

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Not sure what those screenshots show.

OP
I

ichliebes

Not sure what those screenshots show.
The screenshots are the spectrum from same track, but the first one was ripped from CD, and the second one was bought from Qobuz (Hi-Res version). In the first screenshot you can see there's a noise band between 18KHz and 21KHz. I'm wondering where this came from?

F

freemansteve

Separately - your English is fine. Come to England to see how poorly people use English - vocabulary of about 300 words and no idea of grammar, syntax or punctuation. Certainly very little in the way of foreign language capability. It's a national disgrace - we are the "thick" capital of the world.

Katji

Major Contributor
Less than 110 dB.

I've never seen that before. I wonder if any of the CDs I have here are UMG...

Katji

Major Contributor
ah, ok, i see now that you said it was not that.
Maybe try Similarity, see if it finds anything / like one of the data values is weird.
...PS: No, seems the only relevant data it shows is max. frequency.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Separately - your English is fine. Come to England to see how poorly people use English - vocabulary of about 300 words and no idea of grammar, syntax or punctuation. Certainly very little in the way of foreign language capability. It's a national disgrace - we are the "thick" capital of the world.

America: hold my watery beer…

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As others said, dithering with shaped noise. Here's some "pink noise"-like content in 24 bits:
Code:
sox -r44.1k -c1 -n -b24 pink_24.wav synth 30 pink norm -3 lowpass 3k lowpass 5k
pink_24.wav.png

And after converting to 16 bits with shaped noise (you can even choose shape if you want):
Code:
sox pink_24.wav -b16 pink_16.wav dither -s
pink_16.wav.png

Top Bottom