• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HT acoustics and the Benefits of better speakers in stereo and multichannel audio

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Having seen discussions and some graphs on the preference of speakers and noticing how the gap lessens as we go from mono to stereo , what about multichannel?

Is there any evidence for the audible benefits of supposedly better surround speakers ?

Have there been any studies to this end.

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
Frankly, the main problem I see with multichannel audio is not related to equipment but to the lack of the recordings.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Frankly, the main problem I see with multichannel audio is not related to equipment but to the lack of the recordings.
Well everything I have access to via the TV is at least being offered in 5.1. that's a lot of content.

Still multichannel is a niche, but then being obsessed with graphs is a niche too.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Well everything I have access to via the TV is at least being offered in 5.1. that's a lot of content.

Do you really think all that audio content has been recorded natively in 5.1 or has it been processed by broadcaster? ;)

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Do you really think all that audio content has been recorded natively in 5.1 or has it been processed by broadcaster? ;)
What's this about ? If you want to argue this then I say you better give up your hifi as most audio content being produced today is aimed at phone speakers and earbuds and is actively prejudiced against a home hifi.

It's not anything to do with the OP.

QMuse

Major Contributor
What's this about ? If you want to argue this then I say you better give up your hifi as most audio content being produced today is aimed at phone speakers and earbuds and is actively prejudiced against a home hifi.

It's about the fact that recording studios didn't accept multichannel as a recording format. Unfortunately, what you said about modern stereo content is also true. Luckily, music that I'm listening (Jazz) produced lately is still produced for HiFi.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It's about the fact that recording studios didn't accept multichannel as a recording format. Unfortunately, what you said about modern stereo content is also true. Luckily, music that I'm listening (Jazz) produced lately is still produced for HiFi.
Yes iv got some contemporarily produced Steve Gadd albums that seem to still sound great despite modern production.

But then you could say classical music is very well produced and often in multichannel these days , avoiding the pitfalls of modern mastering fashion.

So let's not just dump on HT and multichannel.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Maybe i see thing's to easy.
But if i listen to live music it's usually in front of me. The Drums are not playing behind me. So i not see why multichannel should give me a better impression.

tuga

Major Contributor
Maybe i see thing's to easy.
But if i listen to live music it's usually in front of me. The Drums are not playing behind me. So i not see why multichannel should give me a better impression.

Multi-channel makes sense if the main speaker reproduce only direct sound and rear channels reproduce only reflected sound and reverb such as you would hear in live conditions:

EtpB54P.gif

Upmixing 2-channel is wishful thinking...

tuga

Major Contributor
A high-peformance turntable craftsman sometimes slightly toe'd out the speakers when demo-ing his vinyl players in small hotel rooms.

It made for a very immersive listening experience, the speakers completely disapeared, the sweet-spot was vague but wide-enough and it masked some of the deficiencies of the playback system.
Great for backgroud music.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Multi-channel makes sense if the main speaker reproduce only direct sound and rear channels reproduce only reflected sound and reverb such as you would hear in live conditions:

EtpB54P.gif

I'am very skeptical how much sense it would make to listen to the reverbed sound on back speakers in your room. It's imo fu**ing complicated to get in this way real room Informationen. To be honest, i dont think it's possible.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Everyone seriously interested in music reproduction should read this book:

08EE41D6-5ED5-4BD2-861B-2F82BD1CFC7D.jpeg

I believe it should be mandatory.

It answers all these questions, and more.

tuga

Major Contributor
I'am very skeptical how much sense it would make to listen to the reverbed sound on back speakers in your room. It's imo fu**ing complicated to get in this way real room Informationen. To be honest, i dont think it's possible.

Recreating the original soundfield (if there was an original event) is impossible with stereo.

But I think that is how BIS, Channel Classics and others make their multi-channel recordings:

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I love Upmixers :D even though the so-called audiophiles and stereo purist hates it :mad:

Dolby Pro Logic IIx (Music mode) has made wonders for me making the center channel sing along the main R-L.

If your HT is well implemented with all channels following the right placement/separation Upmixers are a blessing for immersive sound. It's a good thing to start with ITU BS.2159-8 (07/2019) recommendations...after that, there is always a slight margin in which you can change it to your taste as long as you use common sense (its impossible to make a 1 fit every possible configuration/situation standard).

Everyone who reads Floyd Tooles book can tell he is an advocate of Mulchinanel :cool:

Attachments

• Report ITU BS.2159-8 (2019).pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 574

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The performers are generally in front of you but you are hearing them in a defined acoustic space that surrounds you. Would you suggest that a jazz trio (or an orchestra) would sound the same in a gymnasium, a stadium, a small club room, a concert hall, out of doors..........?
Recreating the original soundfield (if there was an original event) is impossible with stereo.
Unfortunately, so but multichannel can do it much, much better.
I would suggest replacement of the word "only" with the word "primarily," at least until we are talking about a recording/playback system with many more channels than are available now even in the most elaborate conceptions.
I agree.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

tomtoo

Major Contributor
@Kal Rubinson
".. Would you suggest that a jazz trio (or an orchestra) would sound the same in a gymnasium, a stadium, a small club room, a concert hall, out of doors..........?.."

No absolutly not. The question is can x speakers give me a better impression of the original soundfield? Its hard for me to see how 4 or (x) speakers can give me the impression of an open air concert in a 30m^2 room?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The question is can x speakers give me a better impression of the original soundfield? Its hard for me to see how 4 or (x) speakers can give me the impression of an open air concert in a 30m^2 room?
That option was a bit of hyperbole but a surprisingly decent impression of an open air concert is possible. Defined spaces are easier.

Top Bottom