• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How would I go about adjusting frequency of speakers independent of the sub?

NoxMorbis

What would you need to change the frequency going to the speakers from an amp, but not changing the frequency the amp passes to the sub? I want to take out the some of lower frequencies for the left and right channel, but not the AUX/sub out.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Audio video receivers (AVRs) have "bass management" which can be configured to route everything except the bass to the main speakers and re-route the bass to an active subwoofer. With movies the "point one" LFE channel (Low Frequency Effects) always goes to the subwoofer. (You loose the LFE in the stereo downmix). Since it's built-into every AVR, that's how most people handle it.

For line level signals you can use an active crossover. These are typically used in pro PA systems. Normally, the full-range signal is fed-in and split into 2 or 3 bands and all of the bands can be adjusted separately and each frequency-band goes to a separate amplifier (or active speaker).

The miniDSP can also be programmed as a crossover. This is getting popular.

Some high-power pro amplifiers have DSP filtering so you can program the amplifier for one frequency band. i.e. Two amplifiers for a 2-way system or 3 amplifiers for a 3-way system, etc.

Top Bottom