• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Getting DRIAC Live Minidsp ?

LouB

After reading the 2.1 support thread, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ck-of-2-1-support-is-grinding-my-gears.50802/
I'm thinking of trying to add a sub to my 2.0 system and would only consider it if I could get some type of bass management & room correction.
My problem is I recently bought a Marantz Model 40N thinking the low pass filter would allow for good sub results.
Looking at the Mini DSP flex would it be possible to send 2 channel signal from the record out into the Mini & than back into power amp in input ? The model 40 has pre-amp input but no pre out. Or would I need a Mini DSP and a pre amp than into the Marantz ?
I have a nice Paradigm powered sub from my previous 5.1 set up. So I wouldn't mind spending a little money on a Mini DSP but don't want to add a pre amp at this time. Or am even looking at this the right way ?
Thanks

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
To do so, your integrated amplifier needs to have a tape loop which the Model 40n does have.
The only option is to use a minidsp device like the Flex or Flex HT as a preamp and use the Model 40n as a power amp ( feature supported by the 40n) but you loose some nice features from the 40n...
Thus, limiting the attractiveness of the 40n.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After reading the 2.1 support thread, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ck-of-2-1-support-is-grinding-my-gears.50802/
I'm thinking of trying to add a sub to my 2.0 system and would only consider it if I could get some type of bass management & room correction.
My problem is I recently bought a Marantz Model 40N thinking the low pass filter would allow for good sub results.
Looking at the Mini DSP flex would it be possible to send 2 channel signal from the record out into the Mini & than back into power amp in input ? The model 40 has pre-amp input but no pre out. Or would I need a Mini DSP and a pre amp than into the Marantz ?
I have a nice Paradigm powered sub from my previous 5.1 set up. So I wouldn't mind spending a little money on a Mini DSP but don't want to add a pre amp at this time. Or am even looking at this the right way ?
Thanks
Just put source into MiniDSP and ouput from MiniDSP into Marantz

You just have to use the Marantz basically as a power amp with volume control (you can't use the input switching of the amp).

OP
L

LouB

Thanks for the info.,
Antcollinet, If I use the record out into the DSP wouldn't I still be able to use inputs & switching of the amp ? I have a CD player, Yamaha streamer & a TT for my music source & HDMI for TV. Are you saying everything needs to be plugged into the DSP ?

Viecenzo the features I bought the Marantz for are it's phono stage, DAC, Bass/treble control, HEOS app. and power amp. If the record out into DSP works which features would I loose ?
Sorry for my ignorance on how amp, pre amp & DSP would function. I read & reread the MiniDSP Flex web site info & could not find anywhere mentioned it being used as I'm thinking. Also the Marantz manaul has little mention of the record out feature. I was thinking the record out takes any of the amps input signals to the record out before the pre amp stage.
Thanks again

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Antcollinet, If I use the record out into the DSP wouldn't I still be able to use inputs & switching of the amp ?
I depends. Many amps don't have independent record select and amp source switching.

So the tape output outputs the selected source, and then you have no way of selecting the return from the mini dsp to go to the amp. No idea if your amp works like that or if it has independent selections.

EDIT : I've had a look at the manual, and there seems to be no independent record select. So whatever source you have selected will go to the record output - but then there is no way to get the output from the mini dsp to the power amp.

So you have to use the Mini DSP as a preamp, and connect it's output to the power amp input. But to use that you have to select the input as. "power amp" so can't use the Marantz input selection. So all sources would need to be connected to the mini dsp.

Last edited:

OldManMatt

You have a single rca subwoofer pre-out on the back of your 40n correct?

You could try the basic Minidsp 2x4 or 2x4HD.
Subwoofer pre-out<Minidsp 2x4<Powered Subwoofer

You would still need a Umik-1 for measurements. Play your mains speakers off the 40n, whatever frequency the mains speakers start rolling off is where your sub should take over. Should work if your Marantz has that single preout..which I thought it did.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buy a sub with DSP, and set it up for room independent of the the rest of the gear. DSP has big benefits for low frequency room mode distortion. Then set the amp low pass at 40hz and experiment rising it and listening with multiple listening sessions and music moving the filter up and down to say 100hz and pick the best. Then move on. Problem solved. Don't make perfect the enemy of good.

MAB

Major Contributor
The Marantz is nice, but quite limiting for what you want to do.
My advice, get a MiniDSP Flex, use the Marantz as an amp. If you need HDMI ARC, get the Flex HT. I know it seems like you set aside the features in the Marantz, but the features it does have are a dime per dozen. And it omits a few key things, like a proper processor or tape loop. It's probably a nice amp though.
The Flex would give you several digital inputs, Bluetooth, and an analog.

OP
L

LouB

The Marantz is nice, but quite limiting for what you want to do.
My advice, get a MiniDSP Flex, use the Marantz as an amp. If you need HDMI ARC, get the Flex HT. I know it seems like you set aside the features in the Marantz, but the features it does have are a dime per dozen. And it omits a few key things, like a proper processor or tape loop. It's probably a nice amp though.
The Flex would give you several digital inputs, Bluetooth, and an analog.
Yes, the more I learn the more limiting it gets ! So with the Flex HT inputs it looks like I could use the SPDIF for my CD player, the optical for my streamer, the HDMI on TV and when using the TT (which is not much) I'd just leave it as is and no DSP on TT.
DSP out puts would be 1 for the sub & 2 back into amp for left & right channels. I'd get DIRAC live full range room correction & I think that also has the DIRAC bass management..
Timcognito & OldManMatt, I think my mains roll off at 40HZ (if that's what "low freq extension" means speaker main specs below) so I'd just be adding more bass with a sub and still have the mains pumping out all the low freq.
Right now my 2 channel music sounds pretty darn good but I know it could be better with room correction & bass management.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Paradigm SE 3 specs main speakers
DESIGN 4-driver, 2-1/2-way floorstanding
CROSSOVER 2nd-order electro-acoustic at 2.0 kHz, 2nd-order electro-acoustic at 600 Hz
FREQUENCY RESPONSE ON-AXIS ±2dB from 65 Hz - 20 kHz
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVER 25-mm (1 in) G-PAL™ dome, ferro-fluid damped / cooled
MID/BASS FREQUENCY DRIVER 140-mm (5-1/2 in) S-PAL™ cone, 25-mm (1 in) voice-coil, GRIP™ chassis
LOW FREQUENCY EXTENSION 40 Hz (DIN)
LOW FREQUENCY DRIVER Two 140-mm (5-1/2 in) mineral-filled polypropylene cones, 25-mm (1 in) voice-coils, GRIP™ chassis
SENSITIVITY ROOM / ANECHOIC 93 dB / 90 dB
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 30° OFF-AXIS ±2dB from 65 Hz - 15 kHz
SUITABLE AMPLIFIER POWER RANGE 15 - 200 watts
MAXIMUM INPUT POWER 140 watts

Top Bottom