• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to optimize windows for a new DAC for best headphone usage?

Neutronman

Hey Guys,
I tried searching on the forum for specific articles, but I was not able to find anything. My current set up is music played through PC using Soundblaster ZX and listening through Sennheiser Momentums and Meze Neo 99's. I finally took the plunge and bought Topping DX3 Pro to play my music. Sources are Spotify, Tidal, MP3 and Flac audio files.

I use Music Bee to play local files with ASIO enabled in the music player. I have no other tweaks, everything is set by default.

My plan is to uninstall the Soundblaster, disable onboard motherboard sound, install the Topping USB driver and connect the DX3.

Are there any setup tweaks I should know about to get the best out of my headphones and the DAC/AMP? Is Asio the best setting on Music Bee? Are there better Windows players out there I should be using? If so what and recommended settings?

I appreciate your help and advice.

Thanks.

Greg

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Welcome to ASR.

I won't get into hardware or drivers for Win10, but you should definitely:
  1. Install Equalizer APO and install the Peace tool.
  2. Find existing Harman target settings for your headphones. You can likely find what you need in either of these spots:
  3. Import those into Equalizer APO / Peace; you can use as-is or tweak to your preferred sound.
This thread will get you started: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/list-of-amirs-headphone-peq-filters.18590/

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you remove the SB-Zx card, it might be better to leave onboard audio enabled.
The USB audio stream will bypass onboard & add-on sound cards anyway.
But there might be some other Windows audio function that works off (or works better) with a DSP audio chip.
Assume you mean ASIO, not Ansio,
I like using WASAPI (with my Foobar2000), but guess ASIO will be just as good.
Music Bee seems to be a well like audio player, not sure if there is anything noticeably better (at least for free).

OP
N

Neutronman

Thanks TW, some good advice there. I did mean ASIO!!!! Need more coffee today.

Thanks Rick, I'll look at the linked article.

Jumbotron

Welcome to ASR.

I won't get into hardware or drivers for Win10, but you should definitely:
  1. Install Equalizer APO and install the Peace tool.

I have Equalizer APO installed and working, but not Peace. What does Peace do?

twsecrest

Thanks TW, some good advice there. I did mean ASIO!!!! Need more coffee today.

Thanks Rick, I'll look at the linked article.
Check out the website Majorgeeks, lots of free software (like audio players).

Vincent Kars

Technical Expert
What I like is automatic sample rate switching.
That is why I'm using WASAPI exclusive.
Maybe ASIO does the same in your case but my DAC doesn't sport ASIO
Anyway, check if the sample rate switches if you go from e.g. 44.1 to 96 kHz.
If it does, you bypass the win audio all together.

You might try the EQ as suplied by MusicBee
https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MusicBee/MusicBee_audio.htm

DDF

Windows audio has two major problems that aren`t very well understood, but need to be managed to avoid distortion. Once these are taken care of, it can be fantastic.

My detailed investigation and measurements are attached, but summarizing:

1. Avoid Windows`CAudioLimiter by ensuring signal never exceeds -0.12 dBFS. This requires:
a. Adding ~ 4 dB digital loss (pre-amp APO) if upsampling, to avoid intersample overs (see Benchmark site for detailed description)
b. If not oversampling, adding loss (I use 4 dB) if high pass filtering which can cause the maximum digital word to exceed the unfiltered maximum value
c. otherwise add at least 0.2 dB pre-amp APO loss even if not filtering or upsampling

2. Checking your system for `hidden`APO`s that can create distortion, and then disabling them (eg, using EAPO). My Dell tower had an APO that I believe to be related to the stock realtek card that caused terrible distortion (measurement attached), until it was disabled. `Disable all sound effects`in the enhancements tab isn`t enough, the APO`s may still be present.

It`s good practice as well to avoid the upsampler, though I`ve achieved very good results in recent tests, much better than archimago`s results.

Once these steps are taken, Windows audio is faultless. It then allows EAPO to be used which provides significant audible benefits (faultless room EQ or headphone EQ) that far exceed benefits of using ASIO or WASAPI exclusive. I also measured the distortion of EAPO and its non existent as long as the system isn`t clipped. Finally, I also checked EAPO`s cramping for high frequency digital filters, and while not perfect, REW`s PEQ filters predict EAPO`s behaviour dead on. As long as the PEQs are designed with REW, there is no issue.

Windows also supports remote desktop from android so I can use my tablet and remotely control all eq settings, playbacks, everything. Similar to Spotify Connect`s convenience, but working globally over local file playback or streaming.

Attachments

• Windows Audio Summary.pdf
    271.6 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

DDF

Hi all, I added more detail to the Windows Audio analysis and started a new thread here

OP
N

Neutronman

Thanks all.
Just to update, the Topping went back, had a few issues with it quitting on me, mid use. No idea why. Purchased Fiio K5 Pro, working extremely well with my Meze 99 Neo's. No complaints. Going to reformat windows 10 as I still have some Creative crapware drivers on my PC. My son has already grabbed my Soundblaster ZX and Momentum's, lol.....

Top Bottom