• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to make music in my small basement same as mark levinson in my car , and whats the next upgrade step after kef r3? bookshelves.

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
As far as AMP. Will the M33 drive all those speakers? Probably not. So a nice little A/V receiver might be required. So... how about the Rotel RAP-1580 MkII?
I have to read twice times, sorry but are you serious? the NAD M33 completely destroy the rotel...

Or do you mean for multi channel stuff?

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good for you. I am struggling,
i preffer all in one or wireless solutions already pre build.. i will love to buy genelec
but they have no dealership and they are in the far away country... almost other part of the world with extremely expensive and complex shipping etcs..
Dali oberon 5
cost same or more compared to my kef r3,
so you are on the winning .
Did you not say you are in Bulgaria?

Neumann and Genelec are both EU-based companies - Genelec is based in Finland and Neumann in Germany. KEF is UK and Focal is based in France. These seems all roughly equidistant from you. There are many suppliers of pro audio and home audio hardware across the EU that sell Genelec and Neumann.

Perhaps you should actually investigate these things before asserting that they're not available. I think everyone here has given you a ton of useful information - more than enough for you to make an informed decision and improve your setup. It's not up to us to hold your hand through every single detail. You're able to figure out how to PM everyone in the thread, you can look up a Genelec dealer in Bulgaria. [edit] There are dealers in Bucharest, Hungary, and in Macedonia. Take your fancy car with its nice sound system and go for a couple hour drive.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Neumann and Genelec are both EU-based companies - Genelec is based in Finland and Neumann in Germany. KEF is UK and Focal is based in France. These seems all roughly equidistant from you. There are many suppliers of pro audio and home audio hardware across the EU that sell Genelec and Neumann.

Perhaps you should actually investigate these things before asserting that they're not available. I think everyone here has given you a ton of useful information - more than enough for you to make an informed decision and improve your setup. It's not up to us to hold your hand through every single detail. You're able to figure out how to PM everyone in the thread, you can look up a Genelec dealer in Bulgaria. [edit] There are dealers in Bucharest, Hungary, and in Macedonia. Take your fancy car with its nice sound system and go for a couple hour drive.

I have emailed genelec before i have bought kef r3
they doesnt have dealership here.
i cant order from abroad, because i cant claim amortization and as expense and vat and other things.

For Kef i have dealership and for Focal they are extremely popular brands.
i bought kef r3 with my own money as a private person, and so far i have not been impressed at all.
Again i dont plan to order from abroad, due to variery of reasons,

Shipping is nightmare,
in case of something happens, just an example i bought kef from uk. i payed very expensive shipping + vat custom fees in case of warranty or product issues i need to reship to uk , same process + very expensive shipping again vat custom fees etcs... nightmare.
and i cant use this as expense as well.

If i buy locally i dont need to go to this tons of issues, and i can also write them as expense accountant/company + amortization+ vat.
Thats why i dont want to buy from abroad.
This set up it will be temporary if i dont like it will be sold out.

Matthias McCready

How about Geithain?

They are coaxial, which is ideal for nearfield listening, and they are made in Germany, so there is a chance they may have a dealer in your country.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you consider an upgrade on electronics should a great EQ solution become available (let's call it the ultimate Dirac of doom) or not even in that case?

Pure curiosity, I'm not thinking you're doing anything wrong.
An interesting question.

I go for bang for buck. The AVR I'm currently using is just because it failed on centre channel so has been pulled from the home theatre. It is rated for 150W into the 6 ohm speakers I have. This allows me to go as loud as I need without audible distortion in my small (3m x 4m) near field listening space (about 1m from the speakers). But only just as loud as I need when alone in the house. I'm sure the amp would not measure that well on Sinad - THD is 0.06% and noise -100dB so It'd probably only be getting Sinad in the 70db region. But as far as I can tell that is all inaudible to me.

The speakers, though floor standers only have 5inch drivers so next best bang for the buck would be a sub, to extend the sub bass downwards, and give a little more power headroom. I'm going to experiment by borrowing the HT sub.

As I said - Ive considered an Ncore amp upgrade. But to be honest that would be more for peace of mind of ample clean power rather than in any real expectation of significant audio benefit. I'll probably scratch that itch eventually.

Dirac of Doom? - not sure how it would benefit me further.

Bottom line is - with the Flex I've got it all to the point, where if I'd heard it at a friends 18 months ago would have been thinking - "Wow - I'd love to get a system sounding this good" It startles me sometimes.

I'd like a little more - controlled - bass.

I think my main limitation now is my relatively small listening room. No solution to that other than winning the lottery, or becoming single. One is not likely, and the other would be an infinitely negative trade.

I could spend 10's of K and probably not improve much in the current conditions.

Last edited:

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
my speakers are sitting into the desk, nothing isolate them,
i am personally sit in front of the desk, on my chair .
I also listen speakers very close ,. i am around 30cm left speaker, and 40cm from the right speaker.
whats the isolation pads?
i never heard of these is this different from speaker floor stand?
mackie is not available where i am,

neumann can you tell me model i will ask the some sellers if they can sale it to me,

dynaudio can you tell me some models so i can try to find dealership for them if at all any exist here... genelec even if i love their products not dealership very very far away. few countries away.

My Desk is wooden - not sure what brand is the wood,
it looks like wood at least.
its big wooden desk,
It is giving me so much joy to read your posts. Please never leave ASR

Bren Derlin

i am lacking space
and i dont want to invest any more for other amplifiers...
i think good decent 2 channel stereo is good enough if its made well... if not i will go wireless again. i already have sub , and it improves a little experience but not much.

I was very happy from MUSO 2
i watched a lot of movies and listened a lot of songs..
and everything was great, the only 1 concern is when i turn the volume very loud it start distort...
thats why i wanted to upgrade from it.

My listening/viewing space is 12ft deep, 14ft wide, and 8ft high. I have a 4.1 surround system. It can be done in a space that's 10x10. My rear channels are Revel M8 onwall speakers. They take up zero space. OK! I bumped into one once, while exiting the room when the lights were off. LOL

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

How about Geithain?

They are coaxial, which is ideal for nearfield listening, and they are made in Germany, so there is a chance they may have a dealer in your country.
Nope,

does focal have in their professional line utopia speakers as well or none?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

Been there. No go for him. Beats me. All the fuss and an few hours drive it would have been solved.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Do you have anything isolating your speakers from your desk?

Are you sitting at the desk while listening to the speakers?

Again, this reinforces that what you need are not hi-fi/home theatre speakers, but active nearfield monitors.

Hi-fi/home theater speakers are meant to be placed in a room and listened to from a distance. If you want to put speakers on your desk and set a couple of feet from them and get good sound, you should be using active nearfield monitors by Mackie, Dynaudio, Genelec, Neumann, etc. Genelec and Neumann are currently leading the field.

You should have your speakers placed on isolation pads, as without them, sound will transfer through the cabinet into your desk and muddy the sound.
In case you haven’t seen it. One of the threads links pictures and a video of the placement and surroundings.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...p-after-kef-r3-bookshelves.37765/post-1328660

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dali oberon 5
cost same or more compared to my kef r3,
so you are on the winning .
Interesting. The R3's are significantly more than the Oberons here in the UK (Around +50%)

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Interesting. The R3's are significantly more than the Oberons here in the UK (Around +50%)
i compared them used,
i found from the focal professional line, some speakers, but i cant them in the charts over the forum,are they extremely bad since no one ever tested them here? i think professional line is way cheaper compared to diablo utopia, but i dont understand anything from their lines... i see some of them have berlyium tweeter and that it.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I will love to buy genelec
but they have no dealership and they are in the far away country... almost other part of the world with extremely expensive and complex shipping etcs..
There are four shops selling Genelec in Sofia…

2946E674-DA9D-4047-9F68-B147012B21F0.jpeg

B55429B3-0104-4645-B1E2-5A13A89FBA1C.jpeg

4EFFBF6C-3E05-48ED-B857-BC1FA58932EC.jpeg

F6BA1A2E-E66E-4F1B-AF70-C245B13C5298.jpeg

If you bought the M33 online, you can just cancel the order within 14 days per EU rules: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 51459

None of them have anything in stock from the high end models , so i cant try or test.
when you pay from company you dont have same return polici and even warranty policy and invoices are already calculcated for the month etcs...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
None of them have anything in stock from the high end models , so i cant try or test.
They should have something in store to check out? There is very little in stock anywhere. Other ASR members have been waiting for months for some models. Patience is a virtue...

Btw, there's also a 5th shop now. The strange thing is that just a few days ago, there were none...
when you pay from company you dont have same return polici and even warranty policy and invoices are already calculcated for the month etcs...
Just try, it might work.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

They should have something in store to check out? There is very little in stock anywhere. Other ASR members have been waiting for months for some models. Patience is a virtue...

Just try, it might work.
They nothing in stock i dont plant to buy speakers and things without been able to hear them,

and about return, when you order special things not in stock , return days are 000
so it doesnt work for me. i already have done this with kef r3 and , and nad m33...
so i cant return them.

lowkeyoperations

Step 1. Buy Slate VSX Headphones.
Step 2. Buy SubPac subwoofer
Step 3. Buy Mike Dean Expansion pack.
Step 4. Engage Mike Dean Custom Tesla emulation.
Step 5. Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom