• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to make music in my small basement same as mark levinson in my car , and whats the next upgrade step after kef r3? bookshelves.

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 51459

hi everyone, i wonder how i can make my music sound like lexus gs mark levinson which have 17 speakers in the car.

MARK LEVINSON AUDIO SYSTEM
> Five Unity Extended Bandwidth speakers (two speakers in each: a 90 mm midrange and 16 mm tweeter)

> Two 180 x 250 mm HiE woofers with aramid composite cones and neodymium magnets

> Two 25 mm titanium dome tweeters with neodymium magnets

> Two 170 mm HiE midwoofers

> One 250 mm double opposing magnet subwoofer with aramid composite cones

> Plus: an 835-watt Class D DSP amplifier

here is the specs.

I want to achieve same or better stage at home, i have limited space so i will be using bookshelves only i am currently with kef r3
whats my next step of upgrade as a source i use my computer and i also recently order nad m33, which is not yet arrived with me.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Another 15 speakers?

I'll be honest, at this point I think you'd just do better going to your car to listen to music.
i also have classical car with focal utopia and i also like it much more than mark levinson , but focal utopia at home grande or even smaller they cost really fortune a lot a lot of money.............
even used. Please advice.
i am newbie.
to home audio gear.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i also have classical car with focal utopia and i also like it much more than mark levinson , but focal utopia at home grande or even smaller they cost really fortune a lot a lot of money.............
even used. Please advice.
i am newbie.
to home audio gear.
I'll amend my initial advice. Go to your classic car to listen to music.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

I'll amend my initial advice. Go to your classic car to listen to music.
i cant do that much time anymore fuel is so expensive + other things...
and i dont have garage to charge the battery and my music runs only when battery is started so engine is running etcs..

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know much about car audio but if I had to guess you probably want a multichannel system with upmixing. I am sure that those types of many-speaker car audio systems heavily use DSP and upmixing to attempt to hide the reflections caused by cramped spaces with many differently angled surfaces. I know Dirac is very commonly used in car audio.

If you are limited to two speakers due to space or other factors, I'm not sure it's really possible to get the same experience. If I was going to try, though, I would use very wide dispersion speakers. I think Philharmonic BMRs are probably as wide as it gets with good measurements in the bookshelf form factor.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

I don't know much about car audio but if I had to guess you probably want a multichannel system with upmixing. I am sure that those types of many-speaker car audio systems heavily use DSP and upmixing to attempt to hide the reflections caused by cramped spaces with many differently angled surfaces. I know Dirac is very commonly used in car audio.

If you are limited to two speakers due to space or other factors, I'm not sure it's really possible to get the same experience. If I was going to try, though, I would use very wide dispersion speakers. I think Philharmonic BMRs are probably as wide as it gets with good measurements in the bookshelf form factor.
i can only guess i dont understand them very well...

my car is lacking dirac.
car speakers are 6.5" most of them, and at home i have 2 bookshelve speakers and none of them have even 6.5" speaker/driver unit so more speakers at car and even crappy they make better sound.. are these Philharmonic BMRs better than kef r3?? in the charts kef r3 is very much on top.

Also some cars have sound insulation - better sound insulation etcs, at home i got 000 sound insulation.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't understand - if you're a 'newbie' at home audio and you're using a midrange bookshelf KEF speaker, why did you order a top-end $5,000 integrated amp/streamer?

If you are using limited space and sitting relatively close to the speakers you're going to get a FAR better experience from flipping the money you're investing here - buy a good DAC/preamp (Topping's new top-end model is only $700) and hook up a pair of top-end genelec or neumann studio monitors to it, and do some room treatment.

You're never going to get exactly the sound of your car audio in your home. They're just completely different spaces. But you should be able to do better in your home, especially if you're working with that kind of budget.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

I don't understand - if you're a 'newbie' at home audio and you're using a midrange bookshelf KEF speaker, why did you order a top-end $5,000 integrated amp/streamer?

If you are using limited space and sitting relatively close to the speakers you're going to get a FAR better experience from flipping the money you're investing here - buy a good DAC/preamp (Topping's new top-end model is only $700) and hook up a pair of top-end genelec or neumann studio monitors to it, and do some room treatment.

You're never going to get exactly the sound of your car audio in your home. They're just completely different spaces. But you should be able to do better in your home, especially if you're working with that kind of budget.
Because i got good deal and it have dirac live, and i like the design and based on purifi and its safe bet for future speakers - thats about the amp......... i dont plan to get another dac pre amp, i already have dac included into the nad m33 series...
room treatment its not possible since i live in rented place ..... how about if i get focal utopia evo diablo book shelves speakers no reviews on them and their audio quality?

SuicideSquid

Because i got good deal and it have dirac live, and i like the design and based on purifi and its safe bet for future speakers - thats about the amp......... i dont plan to get another dac pre amp, i already have dac included into the nad m33 series...
room treatment its not possible since i live in rented place ..... how about if i get focal utopia evo diablo book shelves speakers no reviews on them and their audio quality?
You want to put a pair of $20,000 speakers in a rental space with no room treatment?

This is the course taken by a person with more money than sense.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
With that kind of budget I recommend to take a look to Kef reference 1 meta, it's a new speaker
KEF-Reference-1-Meta-5-770x433.jpg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
hi everyone, i wonder how i can make my music sound like lexus gs mark levinson which have 17 speakers in the car.

You can’t unless you want to go full surround/atmos.

I have a decent enough home system (as in signature below) in a dedicated room with £2.5k of sound treatment and yet my Dynaudio factory upgrade system in my Tiguan sounds amazing, in my mates Q7 he has a B&O system with 20+ speakers and that is “oh my fu*king god this is so fu*king good”.

Learn to live with what you have and accept it ;), or buy AirPods Pro, enable spatial audio and walk around your house.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

With that kind of budget I recommend to take a look to Kef reference 1 meta, it's a new speaker
KEF-Reference-1-Meta-5-770x433.jpg

kef reference 1 meta
are only 0.3 better than kef r3...
thats extremely little... i like focal utopia evo diablo more but not sure if they are any good not available in my country.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
kef reference 1 meta
are only 0.3 better than kef r3...
thats extremely little... i like focal utopia evo diablo more but not sure if they are any good not available in my country.
for what i can '' imagine '' it will sound more refine, transparent, with stronger subbass and wider soundstage

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What country are you in?

Most luxury cars do a good job with DSP and filling the cabin with sound b it you don’t get your traditional imaging you would get from a home setup.

Easy effort number one.
1) what does it sound like if you make your KEF R3 a bipolar center speaker and add a lot more room reflections?

Next step
2) you need a rear fill. You can find an old Logic7/Dolby Pro Logic II processor or go modern with Auro3D upmixing.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Only 0.3 what? Orders of magnitude? Tacos? What scale are you talking about, and according to whom?

check it out passive bookshelves speakers you can see only 0.3 difference.
What country are you in?

Most luxury cars do a good job with DSP and filling the cabin with sound b it you don’t get your traditional imaging you would get from a home setup.

Easy effort number one.
1) what does it sound like if you make your KEF R3 a bipolar center speaker and add a lot more room reflections?

Next step
2) you need a rear fill. You can find an old Logic7/Dolby Pro Logic II processor or go modern with Auro3D upmixing.

i am from Bg, i am looking for another speakers not only processor :)

aarons915

Forum Donor
You want to put a pair of $20,000 speakers in a rental space with no room treatment?

This is the course taken by a person with more money than sense.

Does a band need room treatment to sound good in a small venue? Then why would speakers need room treatment? What problem are they treating exactly?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
i cant do that much time anymore fuel is so expensive + other things...
Does a band need room treatment to sound good in a small venue? Then why would speakers need room treatment? What problem are they treating exactly?

Very rarely have I heard a live band in a small venue and thought this sounds good, the few times I’ve seen a live band in a small venue it’s the music and atmosphere/company that has left an impression, never the sound quality which is usually shite.

I consider it pointless to spend money on expensive speakers without consideration to placement and acoustic/room treatment, other folk may differ.

SuicideSquid

check it out passive bookshelves speakers you can see only 0.3 difference.
I think you may be misunderstanding how the preference scores work.
The difference between how my band sounds in the local bar that's nothing but brick walls and tile floors, and how my band sounds in the club with some carpeting, tables, and extensive room treatment, is night and day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom