• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to make music in my small basement same as mark levinson in my car , and whats the next upgrade step after kef r3? bookshelves.

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bren Derlin

Your sound demo is with Jay Z?

I don't know why I'm spending the effort writing this, but I'm going to...

Spending GOBS and GOBS of more money on high end speakers won't help you with your tiny space, unless you can properly place your speakers - which you continually tell us you can't do. So it'd be a giant waste of money thinking Diablos or Utopias are going to fix your sound issues. You're certainly not going to replicate the sound a luxury auto focal audio experience on desk in your space.

You're better off buying these:
B&W MM1 desktop speakers
Kanto Desktop Speaker Stands
M1 MacBook Air - 16GB RAM
and subscribing to Apple Music to stream their lossless music library.

MM1 Speaker review
The MM-1s are a two-way, fully active loudspeaker design complete with Nautilus tube tweeters and a three-inch bass/midrange driver. They feature an internal 18 Watt digital amplifier that consumes 12 Watts of total power when on and less than one Watt of power in standby mode. The MM-1s have a reported frequency response of 38Hz to 22kHz.

The midrange is very musical and decidedly non-digital sounding despite the MM-1's all-digital build and design. The Nautilus tweeter, even when used in such a compact chassis, possesses great extension and poise when played back at reasonable volumes. As for the bass, the MM-1 performs quite admirably. While other desktop or computer speakers plunge lower with the help of a subwoofer, the MM-1's bass is far better integrated and musical than the competition - even if it doesn't go as deep. What is most surprising about the MM-1's sound isn't that they sound good; it's the fact that they image like a pair of stand-mounted monitors. The MM-1s cast a soundstage that is unlike anything I've ever heard from a computer-based speaker system before; one that is rife with detail but also one that is very cleanly and clearly defined with a surprising amount of air.

I have this very set up, and I can 100% vouch for this review. These speakers can deliver goosebump city as much as my Revel M16 and Revel M106. Feed them good music, and they deliver in spades.

My set-up?
The speakers are near ear height on those Kanto stands, and I'm listening to them right now. I'm listening to "Nature Boy" by Special EFX, one of my reference tracks. I can totally lose myself listening to these little speakers. I have them pushed a little wide so I'm inside the listening triangle. I give the volume a little juice, and it's absolutely exceptional. Far better than it really should be. The soundstage is wide and deep with plenty of separation. Honestly, these are the ONLY B&W Speakers i've heard I actually like. Everything else has been overly hollow, bright and abrasively harsh. These have beautiful mid tones, wonderful detail on the upper end. Very good clarity - maybe not as great as the KEF R3 - but I also found that to be harsh and fatiguing. ...The mid-bass texture is a little veiled, but not terribly so. And to be honest, the sound signature feels much more like the Revel M16 than any B&W speaker below $2,000 USD.

To be honest, I wish the audio in my 2019 Honda Pilot sounded this good. :D

I'm sure there are other desktop powered computer speakers that may sound better. But honestly, these are 100% good enough for me. They're small, unassuming, and sound amazing. Now that I'm thinking about it, and I can find these speakers for about $200, I'm tempted to buy a second pair, and throw the Bose desktop speakers that were gifted to me as a birthday present 10 years ago. LOL

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Your sound demo is with Jay Z?

I don't know why I'm spending the effort writing this, but I'm going to...

Spending GOBS and GOBS of more money on high end speakers won't help you with your tiny space, unless you can properly place your speakers - which you continually tell us you can't do. So it'd be a giant waste of money thinking Diablos or Utopias are going to fix your sound issues. You're certainly not going to replicate the sound a luxury auto focal audio experience on desk in your space.

You're better off buying these:
B&W MM1 desktop speakers
Kanto Desktop Speaker Stands
M1 MacBook Air - 16GB RAM
and subscribing to Apple Music to stream their lossless music library.

MM1 Speaker review
The MM-1s are a two-way, fully active loudspeaker design complete with Nautilus tube tweeters and a three-inch bass/midrange driver. They feature an internal 18 Watt digital amplifier that consumes 12 Watts of total power when on and less than one Watt of power in standby mode. The MM-1s have a reported frequency response of 38Hz to 22kHz.

The midrange is very musical and decidedly non-digital sounding despite the MM-1's all-digital build and design. The Nautilus tweeter, even when used in such a compact chassis, possesses great extension and poise when played back at reasonable volumes. As for the bass, the MM-1 performs quite admirably. While other desktop or computer speakers plunge lower with the help of a subwoofer, the MM-1's bass is far better integrated and musical than the competition - even if it doesn't go as deep. What is most surprising about the MM-1's sound isn't that they sound good; it's the fact that they image like a pair of stand-mounted monitors. The MM-1s cast a soundstage that is unlike anything I've ever heard from a computer-based speaker system before; one that is rife with detail but also one that is very cleanly and clearly defined with a surprising amount of air.

I have this very set up, and I can 100% vouch for this review. These speakers can deliver goosebump city as much as my Revel M16 and Revel M106. Feed them good music, and they deliver in spades.

My set-up?
The speakers are near ear height on those Kanto stands, and I'm listening to them right now. I'm listening to "Nature Boy" by Special EFX, one of my reference tracks. I can totally lose myself listening to these little speakers. I have them pushed a little wide so I'm inside the listening triangle. I give the volume a little juice, and it's absolutely exceptional. Far better than it really should be. The soundstage is wide and deep with plenty of separation. Honestly, these are the ONLY B&W Speakers i've heard I actually like. Everything else has been overly hollow, bright and abrasively harsh. These have beautiful mid tones, wonderful detail on the upper end. Very good clarity - maybe not as great as the KEF R3 - but I also found that to be harsh and fatiguing. ...The mid-bass texture is a little veiled, but not terribly so. And to be honest, the sound signature feels much more like the Revel M16 than any B&W speaker below $2,000 USD.

To be honest, I wish the audio in my 2019 Honda Pilot sounded this good. :D

I'm sure there are other desktop powered computer speakers that may sound better. But honestly, these are 100% good enough for me. They're small, unassuming, and sound amazing. Now that I'm thinking about it, and I can find these speakers for about $200, I'm tempted to buy a second pair, and throw the Bose desktop speakers that were gifted to me as a birthday present 10 years ago. LOL
Yes
my sound demo is jay z,

dont you like him, high end musician ? old school album 90s baby lexus baby.
in my country some people claim for me to get BOWERS AND WILKINSONS 805 d4
amazing and good looking speakers high end,
i bet for the price they will be much better compared to kef r3 .
i dont know if your post is kinda joke to me

mm1 is not longer in production i can only get new things, not vintage 10-20 years old.
i considered mm1 many years ago.
right now i am considering bowers and wilkinsons 700-800 series,
focal utopia diablo, kanta 1,sopra 1,
or focal reference 1 meta,.

about kanto i will not get i already have apple home pod mini and i also have integrated speakers on my acer predator monitor, no need for these junks.
i already own mac book but pro from year 2009,
no subscription i own i dont need.
I am coming from naim muso 2 and i dont plan to downgrade if i downgrade i will go kef wireless 50 ls ii or somethine simular..

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We need a mod to lock this thread. I cannot determine if the OP is an idiot or is being deliberately obtuse, but either way, he has posted "will getting a $20,000 pair of speakers make my setup better" and we have all responded "no you need to deal with basic issues like proper stands or isolation, proper toe-in, proper distance from the wall, etc, before you buy any more gear", and he has responded, "okay I will buy $20,000 speakers then" about 50 times over at this point.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

We need a mod to lock this thread. I cannot determine if the OP is an idiot or is being deliberately obtuse, but either way, he has posted "will getting a $20,000 pair of speakers make my setup better" and we have all responded "no you need to deal with basic issues like proper stands or isolation, proper toe-in, proper distance from the wall, etc, before you buy any more gear", and he has responded, "okay I will buy $20,000 speakers then" about 50 times over at this point.
i understand that stands will improve a lot but i have no place for them , please understand, i cant place them in front of the door... it will not be able to open..... and i have no other option on my left side with my extremely limited space... isolation i cant do, i have listened and i have placed the maximum distance of the wall speakers but my desk is not huge as you can see from the video.
toe- in wont help to get them far away from the walls...
Some people like bowers and wilkinsons others focal ,others kef, everyone have favourite brand i dont have any... i am with whatever i can find around...
brand new. Since kef reference 1 meta is newer speaker, they should be better than diablo utopia and other ,focal kanta/sopra or i am mistaken ? and bowers and wilkinsons 800 series>?

delta76

Major Contributor
You boasted several times that you live in a country with $300 monthly salary, yet you bought a $6000 streamer and, I suppose, will not be reluctant to buy a $20k speakers pair (Focal).

You could, simply rent a better apartment with more space, and enjoy both better living condition and music without throwing money at very expensive equipment that can't fix your space.

i said it once and now one more time, how you spend your money is none of my business, but your way of spending money is making no sense, and you will just make it worse

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

You boasted several times that you live in a country with $300 monthly salary, yet you bought a $6000 streamer and, I suppose, will not be reluctant to buy a $20k speakers pair (Focal).

You could, simply rent a better apartment with more space, and enjoy both better living condition and music without throwing money at very expensive equipment that can't fix your space.

i said it once and now one more time, how you spend your money is none of my business, but your way of spending money is making no sense, and you will just make it worse
I am currently considering Focal kanta 1,sopra 1, diablo utopia,
bowers and wilkinsons 805 d4,
kef reference 1 meta, which one do you like the most.

I dont plan to change my renting place for the next 3-5 years, there is a brokerage fee big one + i need to request company to transport all my stuff from 1 place to another thats quite costly... and there is a next brokerage fee in the next place non refundable...
so i am currently saving for my own place... in the coming years i hope even sooner but i cant predict...

About the salary i work everyday of the week including both weekend days , i never took any holiday or vacation or sick day and i am also company owner. So i dont see why i cant get some decent speakers to enjoy the rare time when i am not working... and listening to some good music at amazing quality i am not looking for streaming solution i preffer old hard copies in my hard drive.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Speakers are heave are you sure that these will hold up their weight of 15-kg per speaker, also these is in america i cant buy from there i need to find something simular here locally.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Speakers are heave are you sure that these will hold up their weight of 15-kg per speaker, also these is in america i cant buy from there i need to find something simular here locally.
They're rated for up to 25kg each. Just figure out where you can get quality clamp speaker stands in your country. They'll do more for your sound quality than any new speaker can

Axo1989

Major Contributor

I have wondered why our prolific friend enjoys moderator quiescence, when a hapless subjectivist (or heaven forbid, an LBGTQ+ music thread) would be dealt with summarily.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
It just makes me so sad to read this...I've probably spent $8000 on audio, but over a 15 to 20 year period, when I began acquiring equipment again in my 40s. For that amount of money, I have enough stuff for 12 or so systems, and I like the sound of all of them.

beeface

No need for your backseat moderating tbh. This thread is great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom