• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to integrate a microphone into pc set up (Fiio K7)

LordOishi

So I'm looking to add a microphone solution into my set up. I have a PC (used for gaming / casual use) and I have my Fiio K7 as DAC / AMP and headphones plugged into that as well as using the Fiio as a pre-amp for Edifier speakers.

I was looking at the modmic wireless which presumably I just attach and off we go but if i wanted to an actual microphone (Shure for example) on my desk could that be easily integrated into my set up using the Fiio K7??

TimW

Major Contributor
As long as the microphone can connect via USB, you should be able to use it with the Fiio. Just select the Fiio as your output device and the USB microphone as your input device.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I was looking at the modmic wireless which presumably I just attach and off we go but if i wanted to an actual microphone (Shure for example) on my desk could that be easily integrated into my set up using the Fiio K7??
No. You cannot plug a microphone into the K7.

For a traditional microphone, you will need:
-phantom power supply (for some of them)
-microphone preamp
-ADC

A box that combines all of those (plus a DAC and headphone Amp) is called an audio interface.

rationaltime

For conference calls I use a Shure SM58 with a Shure X2u module.
X2u (X2u = XLR to usb) is available from Shure for $79.
Of course there are other solutions, but this works for me.

OP
L

LordOishi

-microphone preamp
-ADC

A box that combines all of those (plus a DAC and headphone Amp) is called an audio interface.

-microphone preamp
-ADC

Ok I think this decides it for me, I'd only use it for gaming so seems like overkill. I'll just get the modmic.

OP
L

LordOishi

For conference calls I use a Shure SM58 with a Shure X2u module.
X2u (X2u = XLR to usb) is available from Shure for $79.
Of course there are other solutions, but this works for me.
I had an interest in the mv7, mostly for cosmetic reasons it would fit my set up but I think it might be too much trouble. I only need it for gaming so think I'll just go for the modmic. Thanks anyways!

Top Bottom