• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to create a wav file that is outside of human hearing range

sudo-ninja

This may be a noob question, but is there a way to create a wav file (tone) that is around 99khz? Is this possible?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
And be careful not to blow your tweeters trying to hear ultrasonics.

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And when you DO hear something it may very well be a distortion product.
Good point. I've heard people falsely claim that they can hear well into the ultrasonics, and even I once thought I can hear 21khz tones through my headphones. The thing is, if you need to crank up the volume massively to hear it, you are probably hearing something else, could be a distortion product. Your useful hearing cuts off at the point where while maintaining the same volume, you're going up in frequency but can no longer hear the difference between on or off.

OP
S

sudo-ninja

Set audacity to 384khz, generate 99khz tone, done.
Thanks so much. Unfortunately, Audacity wont let me create a file with 99000Hz. The "OK" button is greyed out at that frequency. The OK button disappears with any Frequency over 22050Hz. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 4.49.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 4.49.20 AM.png
    212 KB · Views: 105

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I am curious what you need the 99kHz tone for ...

MRC01

Major Contributor
22 kHz is plenty high enough to be inaudible, and you can do that with a standard 44.1k sampling rate.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am curious what you need the 99kHz tone for ...
Who knows, though I'm curious as well. Could be something like checking a frequency counter. Not enough digits for 100 khz so 99 khz is just enough. Maybe some experiment to use a high tone as a timing reference without having to buy specialized gear. I once used a headphone adapter from my phone to feed a 25 khz squarewave reference tone to a digital rpm measuring device for calibration. It was in the field and I needed software to play at 88 khz so I could generate such a tone. And fortunately the headphone jack on my phone actually went that high in response. Let me fix and put online an important piece of equipment without wasting time.

MRC01

Major Contributor
PS: another way to generate a variety of useful test tones is in Room EQ Wizard, which has a signal generator. Also free and open source, like Audacity.

Top Bottom