• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to compare speakers by specs for noobs?

SaulOteng1467

So im just getting into hi-fi and Im having to compare speakers as I'm mainly buying online. How does one measure that one speaker might be better than another speaker? I understand checking sensitivity and making sure that 'generally, more power the better', but apart from checking sensitivity and power are there any other metrics we should consider when comparing to speakers?

Also I do know you have those graphs thingy but honestly for someone who struggles with basic maths can anyone help to demystify those graphs as a way of helping with comparisons?

Appreciate any insights into this thanks!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also I do know you have those graphs thingy but honestly for someone who struggles with basic maths can anyone help to demystify those graphs as a way of helping with comparisons?
What part of the graph is confusing or needing clarity? I know it might be a strange question but it's a starting point.
index.php

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
So im just getting into hi-fi and Im having to compare speakers as I'm mainly buying online. How does one measure that one speaker might be better than another speaker? I understand checking sensitivity and making sure that 'generally, more power the better', but apart from checking sensitivity and power are there any other metrics we should consider when comparing to speakers?

Appreciate any insights into this thanks!
The most comprehensive explanation but not always easy to digest for noobs is the famous book from Floyd Toole „Sound Reproduction“. You get it on Amazon even as Kindle Version for around 40 bucks. Most likely the most bang for the buck for sound improvement you can spent.

Edit. I just saw in your other thread what your budget for speakers is. So this book might be a bit too much for you. But maybe you come back to it later. Many of its concepts you also find, but not as nicely summarized, in this forum Reference Library section.

Last edited:
Top Bottom