• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How spacious sounding are the Genelec The Ones?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Not sure about the "spaciousness" but when I auditioned the 8361 they sounded as big as they look

OP
K

Kain

Not sure about the "spaciousness" but when I auditioned the 8361 they sounded as big as they look
Is that a good thing or bad thing because they are not exactly the biggest speakers I've ever seen. I've seen speakers sound bigger than they physically are.

Last edited:

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sound Power (ANSI/CTA 2034-A). An equalizer cannot remove Sound Power without effecting On Axis or Listening Window. If a speaker has a characteristically higher Sound Power in a certain bandwidth in relation to ON or LW to change this its radiation characteristics that result from woofer size, baffle width, speaker firing orientation, number of ways, crossover frequencies, cardioid or monopole must be changed. GLM is a global EQ and cannot change the relation between SP and direct sound.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Is that a good thing or bad thing because they are not exactly the biggest speakers I've ever seen. I've seen speakers sound bigger than they physically are.
It's a good thing
They didn't sound small at all

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound Power (ANSI/CTA 2034-A). An equalizer cannot remove Sound Power without effecting On Axis or Listening Window. If a speaker has a characteristically higher Sound Power in a certain bandwidth in relation to ON or LW to change this its radiation characteristics that result from woofer size, baffle width, speaker firing orientation, number of ways, crossover frequencies, cardioid or monopole must be changed. GLM is a global EQ and cannot change the relation between SP and direct sound.

That’s why good directivity performance is important, which is what the Genelecs have. If you can offer up evidence that they have a significant directivity error in the 300-800Hz range, I’m sure we’d all be interested in seeing that.

Hephaestus

How is the sound stage or how spacious sounding are the Genelec The Ones? My LSR305 sound quite spacious and have a large sound stage. Wanted to know how The Ones compare? When I move my head to the left or right side, the sound stage doesn't really collapse. Is it the same with The Ones?
I find that the "soundstage" created by The Ones is stable and coherent. Have had my Genelecs now for few years and have been very pleased with them.
The Ones sound like you are sitting the front row of a recording rather than somewhere in the back. This likely has to do with the excess sound power energy around 300-800 hz with Genelec The Ones, making the percussion range sound a lot louder than is typical with most speakers. If you are looking for "spacious" sounding generally Revel and KEF will sound much more spacious because they are a lot more laid back in this region.
Take a look of the power response of 8361A and compare that to the rest of the bunch. Its different. Still for some reason I dont experience anything negative with the smaller Ones. Most likely personal thing?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
It would be interesting to conpare the 8361 soundstage vs the KEF Blade Meta and TAD CR1 soundstage
Because they're obviously the other top coaxials.

changer

That’s why good directivity performance is important, which is what the Genelecs have. If you can offer up evidence that they have a significant directivity error in the 300-800Hz range, I’m sure we’d all be interested in seeing that.
I never made the argument, read before you write.

Also, what's 'good' directivity?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

Floyd Toole et al. defines „directivity“ in his book and correlates it to the Harman preference studies they had conducted.

You can observe it graphed in Amir’s and Erin’s Klippel measurements too.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sorry about that - you indeed didn't claim the Genelecs produce excess reflected energy in that 300-800Hz range. You only noted that GLM cannot correct for such excesses if they exist.

What's good directivity? It's easily looked up here. Read before you ask.

changer

A speaker can have 'good' directivity, as in continuous and evenly controlled, that is at the same time very low directivity from 400 Hz down, for example, like with the KEF LS60. It's not 'bad' directivity, but it means a lot more Sound Power in relation to ON/LW. It cannot be corrected with global EQ. This is why 'good' DI does not mean anything, for the issue that was put forward and discussed in this thread.

dfuller

Major Contributor
A speaker can have 'good' directivity, as in continuous and evenly controlled, that is at the same time very low directivity from 400 Hz down, for example, like with the KEF LS60. It's not 'bad' directivity, but it means a lot more Sound Power in relation to ON/LW. It cannot be corrected with global EQ. This is why 'good' DI does not mean anything, for the issue that was put forward and discussed in this thread.
Unfortunately gaining directivity control over low frequency regions is... difficult. Even a speaker as big as a KH420 doesn't start to pull in until about 250hz, and it's at the bottom end sizewise for controlled LF directivity based on driver/baffle size - the other method (cardioid) has drawbacks based on either distortion (DD8Cs have quite high midbass distortion) or cost (CDM65s and Kiis have to add more drivers and more complex DSP for cardioid response).

onion

Well there's a proper speakers-disappearing effect in my setup with the Ones. When using Bacch, the soundstage is all around depending on the how the track was engineered. But even without Bacch, they sound pretty 3d

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not really nonsense at all. Spatial cues are by and large baked into the recording at mixdown.

Sure, but an omni-directional speaker will ALWAYS sound wider and more immersive than a narrow directivity horn regardless of the material played.

Top Bottom