• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How are Genelec subwoofers?

Kain

While I know they are relatively expensive compared to "Internet" brands, I wanted to know how they perform and sound? If you disregard their price, are they actually really good sounding? I would assume so looking at how well Genelec speakers/monitors are regarded?

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For the most part subwoofers are subwoofers and Genelecs sound fine. As you know, they are expensive. It is hard to say or compare if you are not accounting for cost. For the price Genelec will give you an 8” woofer with a <200 watt amp you can get a 15” woofer with a kilowatt+ (“peak”) from an internet direct like Hsu. What do you compare? Equal box size? Equal woofer size? “I am willing to pay 50% more for the Genelec reputation?”

The main interesting design choice for me is that Genelec subs have built in 8th order filters, which are steeper than most receivers, so the sub should be harder to localize at the cost of more group delay (but is group delay audible?).

Of course, if you are in the Genelec ecosystem then GLM adds a lot of value for the higher end subs which can be fully crossed over, equalized, volume managed in software. Similar to an iPhone, if you are fully in the Genelec ecosystem then this is clearly the best option.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Studio subs tend to be very expensive vs their hifi counterparts and Genelec's are no exception. They are good subs, though.

Bartic

Studio subs tend to be very expensive vs their hifi counterparts and Genelec's are no exception. They are good subs, though.
Hey dfuller,
I've seen you pop up in the barefoot footprint 01 review, and later seen you in another thread (KH150), where you say you're using the KH310 now.
I'm on the fence on whether to get the footprint 01 or the kh310. Currently using Genelec 8040b.
I have a good deal on the footprint 01s.
I had a chance to demo them in my small studio. Summary: the Genelecs sounded scooped and a bit harsh in comparison. The barefoots have a more clear low end, easier to eq and discern kicks and bass. Genelecs maybe have a bit more detail in the upper mids/highs compared to the barefoots, or maybe its just the harshness playing tricks on me. Barefoots have worse directivity and beamy tweeters. All in all, the Genelecs sound thinner compared to the barefoots. What confused me is the measurements that I took with Sonarworks. The Genelecs came out much more linear compared to the Barefoots, which is definitely off-putting. I also have measurements from before of the Neumann Kh120s and KRK rokit8, and they too have a more linear result.
I'm curious what made you switch and what are your thoughts on the two? Any other recommendations?
Thanks, would really appreciate your input.

ReaderZ

Hey dfuller,
I've seen you pop up in the barefoot footprint 01 review, and later seen you in another thread (KH150), where you say you're using the KH310 now.
I'm on the fence on whether to get the footprint 01 or the kh310. Currently using Genelec 8040b.
I had a chance to demo them in my small studio. Summary: the Genelecs sounded scooped and a bit harsh in comparison. The barefoots have a more clear low end, easier to eq and discern kicks and bass. Genelecs maybe have a bit more detail in the upper mids/highs compared to the barefoots, or maybe its just the harshness playing tricks on me. Barefoots have worse directivity and beamy tweeters. All in all, the Genelecs sound thinner compared to the barefoots. What confused me is the measurements that I took with Sonarworks. The Genelecs came out much more linear compared to the Barefoots, which is definitely off-putting. I also have measurements from before of the Neumann Kh120s and KRK rokit8, and they too have a more linear result.
I'm curious what made you switch and what are your thoughts on the two? Any other recommendations?
Footprint 01 has lots of bass and that's it. Overall sound quality wise KH310 is better, period.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 7X60 is in my opinion the first model that really works as a subwoofer. The smaller ones work fine with music but if you need any kind of authority near 20Hz they don't cut it.

Now you are looking at 2k€ and it's a big one physically. I'm satisfied with the thing but you won't be "blending" it to your decor so to speak. :D

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
They are expensive, but adding them to the SAM/GLM system is what you pay for and in this case it's worth it. In my room two 7360A produced flat response down to 15Hz, which is great for rather small 2 x 10" woofers. If you consider them separated from the Gelenec ecosystem I would go with something cheaper, bigger and powerful, using as good software as GLM, like Dirac Bass Control

Last edited:

Bartic

Footprint 01 has lots of bass and that's it. Overall sound quality wise KH310 is better, period.
Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to listen to them in my studio. But they do measure much better than the 01s that's for sure.
Did you have a chance to listen to them both?

Bartic

Btw, when it comes to subs, its always best to try and match the brand of speakers with the sub, since they have most probably been designed to work together (crossover-wise), as opposed to using an Adam sub with Genelec speakers. That's not to say using subs/speakers of different brands will not produce great results.

The best way for to know how they perform and sound is to test them out in your studio, since testing anything with any sort of sub frequencies somewhere other than your listening environment is almost pointless.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Hey dfuller,
The KH310s are way better. The mids and highs are miles better, much broader sweet spot, and that dome mid is special. It doesn't show up in measurements very clearly at all but mid domes are just in general miles better to my ears than cone mids. May have something to do with lower Mms, but can't state that for certain. Imaging is far better as well.

Btw, when it comes to subs, its always best to try and match the brand of speakers with the sub, since they have most probably been designed to work together (crossover-wise), as opposed to using an Adam sub with Genelec speakers. That's not to say using subs/speakers of different brands will not produce great results.
This is not true tbh. I run a Rythmik F12 with my 310s, and I'd rather use a Rythmik than a KH750 as it's got much more SPL capability.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine looks like a portable industrial fan

Bartic

The KH310s are way better. The mids and highs are miles better, much broader sweet spot, and that dome mid is special. It doesn't show up in measurements very clearly at all but mid domes are just in general miles better to my ears than cone mids. May have something to do with lower Mms, but can't state that for certain. Imaging is far better as well.

This is not true tbh. I run a Rythmik F12 with my 310s, and I'd rather use a Rythmik than a KH750 as it's got much more SPL capability.
I'm curious what were you discontent with that made you switch from the Barefoot 01s and start your search for a replacement?
I remember reading your comments and you seemed to be real happy with them.
And how would you say the low end compares to the kh310?
I'm afraid the KH310s might not be the best for producing since a lot of people describe them as "boring".

ReaderZ

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to listen to them in my studio. But they do measure much better than the 01s that's for sure.
Did you have a chance to listen to them both?
Yes, in store only, but the difference is so significant it was enough for me to tell the difference.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'm curious what were you discontent with that made you switch from the Barefoot 01s and start your search for a replacement?
I remember reading your comments and you seemed to be real happy with them.
And how would you say the low end compares to the kh310?
I'm afraid the KH310s might not be the best for producing since a lot of people describe them as "boring".
They were genuinely difficult to mix on. Fun to listen to, sucked to work on. That, and if I moved back a foot all my high end went away. Very small sweet spot and incredibly toe-in sensitive.

The 310s have plenty of low end. However I wouldn't call them fun. They don't have that thump and they don't get particularly loud before starting to sound strained (without a sub or two). PMC 6s fit that bill better to me.

Bartic

They were genuinely difficult to mix on. Fun to listen to, sucked to work on. That, and if I moved back a foot all my high end went away. Very small sweet spot and incredibly toe-in sensitive.

The 310s have plenty of low end. However I wouldn't call them fun. They don't have that thump and they don't get particularly loud before starting to sound strained (without a sub or two). PMC 6s fit that bill better to me.
I agree, the sweet spot really is tiny with them, and the high end altering as soon as you're off axis is a bit frustrating.
To me though, I still think they provide a clearer picture compared to the 8040s for mixing. At least in the low end they do. But the measurements are really throwing me off.

These are the measurements of the left and right speaker separately of the 01s, Genelecs and KH120s. Unfortunately the left speaker is placed in a tri-corner, explaining the enormous peak at around 60hz. The results overall for each speaker are far from ideal. But the KH120 and Genelec hold up solidly, compared to the Barefoot.

Attachments

• Barefoot 01 R.PNG
    Barefoot 01 R.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 60
  • Genelec 8040 R.PNG
    Genelec 8040 R.PNG
    32.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Neumann KH120 R.PNG
    Neumann KH120 R.PNG
    33.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Barefoot 01 LEFT.PNG
    Barefoot 01 LEFT.PNG
    37.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Genelec 8040 LEFT.PNG
    Genelec 8040 LEFT.PNG
    38.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Neumann KH120 LEFT.PNG
    Neumann KH120 LEFT.PNG
    39.7 KB · Views: 55
OP
K

Kain

Is it true Genelec speakers are bright and harsh sounding resulting in listener fatigue? I've read numerous posts on the Internet stating this. If they measure so well, why would they be bright and harsh?

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If they measure so well, why would they be bright and harsh?

"Some people on the internet" have subjective opinions that conflict with proven measurements.

What do you think would be the most probable explanation?

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Is it true Genelec speakers are bright and harsh sounding resulting in listener fatigue? I've read numerous posts on the Internet stating this. If they measure so well, why would they be bright and harsh?
yes, but only if the material you're playing back is harsh and bright

Top Bottom