• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How are Genelec subwoofers?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Is it true Genelec speakers are bright and harsh sounding resulting in listener fatigue? I've read numerous posts on the Internet stating this. If they measure so well, why would they be bright and harsh?
That’s not true, but their in room target curve is slightly more horizontal ( at least the ones I have measured) so slightly more ‘professional’ audio biased , a flatter target can sound slightly thin compared to a steeper target, the Kiis are similar when compared to the 8Cs, but both can be adjusted to taste.
Keith

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
K

Kain

I searched online but couldn't find a definitive answer so I'm going to ask here. Does Genelec make the amplifiers it uses in its speakers and subwoofers in-house by themselves or are they sourced from elsewhere?

MAB

Major Contributor
I searched online but couldn't find a definitive answer so I'm going to ask here. Does Genelec make the amplifiers it uses in its speakers and subwoofers in-house by themselves or are they sourced from elsewhere?
Have you tried asking Genelec? Your question is slightly vague, and depends on definition of 'make':cool:.
Did you try searching ASR? Odd you didn't find several teardowns of specific models, and discussions of your general question. For example:
and even some more detailed comments.
This is one among many examples, not just ASR.

Back to generalizations... Are you actually trying to get to the bottom of these anecdotes that you are repeating?;)

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This video explains a bit and does show workers populating amplifier boards, so I think they are assembled in Finland.

dfuller

Major Contributor
They're certainly custom designs if nothing else. Not sure if they're stuffing the boards themselves or not, but they're definitely not off the shelf class D modules.

hege

Forum Donor
They're certainly custom designs if nothing else. Not sure if they're stuffing the boards themselves or not, but they're definitely not off the shelf class D modules.
Atleast 1237/8A is off the shelf Pascal for bass/mid:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Atleast 1237/8A is off the shelf Pascal for bass/mid:

That was just what I've seen for the 83X1 series.

jaakkopetteri

Top Bottom