• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How quite is your room?

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Just a simple mention: "Quiet" and not "quite" (typo in the thread's title).

Oops, that is quite quiet indeed.

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
~32dBA when the AC is off. Bounces around 40dBA when it's on and in southwest Florida it is on a lot.

Martin

Tom C

Major Contributor
I measure about 30 to 35 dB A-weighted on a quiet evening with no trucks or motorcycles going by.
Was on a plane a couple weeks ago and measured about 75 dB A-weighted. Really hard to enjoy music that way. About half of what you’re listening to you have to fill in by memory.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
About 35dBA here in the evenings. Non-silent PC, but fans set to low in BIOS.

Not much different during the day.

1:42 pm -- 20" floor fan running on a rheostat to keep a little air movement into this corner room, ceiling fan still on, so no effort to be "silent" at the moment.

1599846157540.png

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I did a lot of research on sound isolation when we were remodeling. I really wanted to do a full decoupling (room within a room). Unfortunately, I couldn’t afford to implement anything but a good insulation. I did find this material that might be of interest to those trying fire ultra quiet rooms.

https://www.acoustiblok.com/acoustiblok-product-lines/acoustiblok-wallcover-noise-barrier/
We don’t sell it directly- you have to go through spray foam contractors. If you let me know where you are, I can point you to a good one.

Tks

Major Contributor
AFAIK, there aren’t any. I developed a really effective spray insulation which can really knock down external noises in apartment and office construction, and the feedback is always, “We can’t pay anything extra for that.”

What garbage replies. NYC contractors and landlords that "cant pay" is like saying Elon Musk cant afford to live anywhere he wanted. Cheapest clowns on the planet. But they can miraculously provide entire brass laden lobbies and doors and elevators.

Really shocking to see how no such standard exists. I would have imagined at least luxury condominums being erected left and right in this city, would have wanted something like this.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
What garbage replies. NYC contractors and landlords that "cant pay" is like saying Elon Musk cant afford to live anywhere he wanted. Cheapest clowns on the planet. But they can miraculously provide entire brass laden lobbies and doors and elevators.
They know what sells. It took me years to find a Manhattan apartment that was subjectively quiet and isolated. Most were disturbingly noisy and the renting and sales agents were simply unaware and insensitive to the issue. I assume that most of their clients were equally unaware or they would have known.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

How much new construction is happening in NYC? Interestingly, the vast majority of the spray foams we make are used in suburban and exurban areas, but that's where people are building homes.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Webninja

Forum Donor
DecibleX average 41db, z-weighted, 32db a-weighted. If only I could have done sound deadening, I might have had a very quiet media room.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Kal, ever thought of retiring in a less busy neighborhood?
No. I am retired, not dead.
1. I always wanted to live here and now I do. I love it here.
2. I also have a nice little house in Litchfield County that is only 1.5 hours away.

jerryfreak

im guessing 60-70 dB

we have 5 HEPA filters around the house cranking to deal with the smoke

Top Bottom