• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How quite is your room?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Apologies if this is already a thread.
I just downloaded a spl meter app. The ambient noise in my room is measuring at 15db if I hold my breath. It's spiking to between 20-30db when I breath or move. It's 22:37 in the evening right now so noise floor will drop again later (01:30-03:00) being the best time for audio :D. Tweeter hiss is measuring about 22db at 0.5cm roughly.

Taddpole

I found these spl meter apps as much use as a chocolate teapot. Downloaded on three devices and got different readings on each, up to 12db difference with them sitting next to one another.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found these spl meter apps as much use as a chocolate teapot. Downloaded on three devices and got different readings on each, up to 12db difference with them sitting next to one another.
Don't they tell you you need to calibrate if you hope to have any kind of accuracy?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Apologies if this is already a thread.
I just downloaded a spl meter app. The ambient noise in my room is measuring at 15db ....

As others have mentioned, I would not trust that measurement unless your room/house are pretty unusual (e.g., significant investment in soundproofing, cinderblock construction in a rural location...)

One tip: pay attention to, and mention, the weighting function.

OP
Vini darko

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I live in a village in the butt end of nowhere. Room is teated in a rudimentry but effective way.

OP
Vini darko

Vini darko

Major Contributor
As others have mentioned, I would not trust that measurement unless your room/house are pretty unusual (e.g., significant investment in soundproofing, cinderblock construction in a rural location...)

One tip: pay attention to, and mention, the weighting function.
So how to apply weighting? As I have no idea how that works.

mansr

Major Contributor
Time of day? In the dead of night, it gets quite quiet. If the window is open when the glass collection truck visits the next-door pub, it's quite the opposite.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've found some phone apps to be pretty good on SPL. You have to find a software that has calibration files for the phone you have. Where they suffer is low end below 200 hz.

If you really want to know you need something like a Umik1 which used with REW is calibrated. Or one of the Dayton small measuring mics that fit on phones. Or of course a real SPL meter.

15 db SPL would be exceptionally quiet. Quieter than most studios. My guess is you aren't getting the low frequencies picked up with your phone. Some of them also have a spectrum analyzer or RTA built in. Get one of those. I bet instead of rising low frequency noise you are going to see noise levels drop to near nothing as you go below 200 hz.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be an extremely low noise floor....if accurate, congrats. Mine is more in the low 30s when quietest, altho I haven't measured in a while and don't have details.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a Netatmo weather station in my office, and it tells me the noise level is 38 dB (quiet). The free application on my iPhone and iPad concur with each other and tell me the noise level is between 27 and 34 dBA, depending on whether or not I move the device. Given there are two Synologys making audible disk and fan noises, I would think the Netatmo is probably closer to the truth.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Low frequency inaudible distant thunderstorm rumble (red peak) vs the storms have given up now (black)

1599781029299.png

https://www.lightningmaps.org/

dougi

I have a calibrated SPL meter. My lounge is generally 35-40dBA A-weighted during the day. I base my required SPL and distortion limit requirements on assuming it is lower at 30dBA.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
I have a cheap SPL meter, and if I hold my breath, it measures about 41dBA in my living room with my desktop PC running idle with about 4 fans, which I can't hear unless I stick my head near the tower.

Top Bottom