1. WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

How Much Music Do You Have?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussions' started by watchnerd, Nov 11, 2017.

1. watchnerd

watchnerd Major Contributor Beer Hero

Except for a few recordings I have that only exist in high rez, I pretty much stopped collecting high def audio once I realized I can't reliably pass an ABX test between RBCD lossless and high resolution.

Switching to RBCD losless probably cut my data consumption 8x.

Frank Dernie likes this.
  2. NorthSky

NorthSky Major Contributor

Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
    Kal, "almost all of it" sounds quite impressive.
    How many years do you have left, and after you're gone where does the music go? Plus all the ones you didn't have the time and chance to listen to.
    ___

If we use some music as our reference to assess and compare, what we have listened to so far; is it fair to say that it is a very limited restriction in comparison to what's coming up and in eclipsing some older music recordings? Or is it unfair?

Dad used to say; "The best is yet to come." ...Recently we just received a new shot in the arm...MQA. This to go along with new music, and old one too for a new resurrection. Good for the cash flow.

I cannot escape the thought of comparisons between LP and CD and SACD (DSD), 2K and 4K, 2D and 3D, DVD and Blu-ray, LED and Plasma and OLED and QLED TVs, ICE cars and EV cars, credit cards and Bitcoins, analog and digital, mono and stereo and multichannel, ...all that it was before and all that it will be after.

Just some quick flashes like that crossing the sky above the walls.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  3. watchnerd

Okay, you just convinced me to start deleting stuff...

4. NorthSky

Everyday I delete stuff that would eventually end up into oblivion.

5. Wombat

Wombat Member

Digital downloading and streaming is great. The price of used CDs has plummeted and after a short period after release so do most new ones as a result of its success.

I like perusing the CD spines, as I do with LPs, to choose one. Storage space is an issue but I prefer hard-copy to digital storage.

6. amirm

amirm Founder/Admin CFO (Chief Fun Officer) Staff Member

Used CDs is a great source of music. I switched to it on Amazon and all but a couple of were excellent. Of course I would only buy the "Near New" or whatever that status is. $4.99 including shipping.

I bought lower grade ones a few times when that was all that was available and let's say I needed to wear latex gloves to touch the jewel case on some of them. :)

7. watchnerd

I'm not sure I could even play a CD these days even if I wanted to.

I'm not sure where my USB CD ROM drive is and I don't own any optical disk players of any kind any more...

8. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Active Member

Obviously, much less than I already have but the issue is that I cannot predict which of the many files I will want to hear in advance.

9. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Active Member

I do not know how many years I have left but, even at 76 and in excellent health, I cannot listen to everything I have and yet I keep adding to the collection. What drives me is that, in addition to enjoying my favorites, I discover new thrills in my own collection on a regular basis. My collection will go to my son-in-law with whom I share many interests (aside from my daughter and grandchildren).

Fitzcaraldo215 likes this.
  10. Wombat

Wombat Member

My experience with Ebay has been most satisfactory with sellers generally being conservative with condition description. I have never had to claim a refund.

Amazon's postal rates to Australia are too high. I recently ordered 2 new copies of the Eva Cassidy Nightbird album(2CDs+DVD) from a UK Ebay store for $AU7 ea. plus combined postage($AU7) to Australia. This album sells here f0r around $38 RRP and $29 at some bigger stores - for one copy.

Multiply $AU by 0.77 to convert to $US.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  11. amirm

amirm Founder/Admin CFO (Chief Fun Officer) Staff Member

Is Amazon still limited to books in Australia?

12. Wombat

Wombat Member

It has been some time since I purchased from Amazon. I remember getting some CDs and DVDs but they were from Amazon sellers who may not have worried about shipping policy. I can say there were times when manufacturer restrictions re global territories prevented me from purchasing items. There were work-arounds but manufacturers warranties were not valid and were replaced with questionable back-to-source ones.
    Since then there has been Amazon International and very recently, Amazon Australia. I can't comment on them.

One thing I did find is that Fuji cameras are covered by international warranty. They don't broadcast this so as to favour sales outlets in individual markets. This works well for professional photographers who travel overseas. It is good for me as it means I can purchase Fuji stuff from the big on-line Hong Kong dealers.

13. NorthSky

Very good, all the way.

14. Fitzcaraldo215

Fitzcaraldo215 Addicted to Fun and Learning

I would not swear that there is a verifiable audible advantage to hirez over RBCD on material sourced from analog or RBCD native recordings. But, like Kal, I am smitten by Mch recordings. And, those are all released in hirez. Hence, his and my own explosion of disc storage space requirements. No big deal, though. Hard drive storage is cheap and getting cheaper.