• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Much Music Do You Have?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Just looked at my NAS today and realized I have about 3 TB of lossless (FLAC/ALAC) music.

LP's are about 400.

It's pretty mind blowing and will likely last the rest of my life, and that's not even including access to streaming sources.

How does this compare to others?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Iv only got about 600-800 cd’s (never counted) though really music is unlimited these days and ownership totally unnecessary.

Another question, how many (much) do you actually listen to? I tend to gravitate to the same 50 or so albums .

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I have both Tidal Hifi and Qobuz Sublime. I guess that tops most comparisons of CD quality or higher.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Iv only got about 600-800 cd’s (never counted) though really music is unlimited these days and ownership totally unnecessary.

I think that's mostly true, but I still find that certain types of music are under-represented on the streaming services (e.g. flamenco, reggae, Indian / Chinese / Persian / Japanese classical, Portuguese fado, etc.).

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Just looked at my NAS today and realized I have about 3 TB of lossless (FLAC/ALAC) music.
LP's are about 400.
It's pretty mind blowing and will likely last the rest of my life, and that's not even including access to streaming sources.
How does this compare to others?
I am down to about 100 LPs having sold all the rest.
OTOH, I have about 22Tb of lossless files (FLAC/DSD/DXD) now and loading more.
I only stream for research to guide my purchases.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My NAS folder has other bits in it so I asked Windows to tally it up and it is still counting. Will report on that when it is finished. For now, this is what Roon says I have in my library:

upload_2017-11-11_8-54-4.png

The year added means when I handed the library to Roon, not when I purchased the music of course (which for CDs, dates back to 1983 or so). As you can see from "Years" graph, I stopped buying music over a year ago as I have just about everything I need on Tidal streaming service.

Oh, the scan just finished. Unless I have forgotten some library to include in the count, it says I have about 800 Gigabytes in my music folders.

So all in all, I am not a big collector.

P.S. We threw out our library of LPs back in 1980s. I have a couple now but that's it. I also have a few Reel to Reel tapes.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Wow, I thought I had a lot of data... how much of that is high-res / multi-channel?

My usually rule of thumb is that the album is >1GB it's usually high-res / multi-ch.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We look like babes in the woods compared to yours Kal. :) Those DXDs and DSDs take a ton of space though. The former is just insane in size.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When I go to my systems these days, it is almost always to listen to something new I have discovered. When that finishes Roon then plays my library but my intent is rarely to listen to what is already there.

Years back I would constantly reach into my favorite discs but today it is to enjoy new music and there is so much of that which I lack the time to listen.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
When I go to my systems these days, it is almost always to listen to something new I have discovered. When that finished Roon then plays my library but my intent is rarely to listen to what is already there.

Years back I would constantly reach into my favorite discs but today it is to enjoy new music and there is so much of that which I lack the time to listen.
I think that’s the true gift of streaming and or roon.

How the changing formats have impacted our listening habits/ music consumption preferences is fascinating .

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How the changing formats have impacted our listening habits/ music consumption preferences is fascinating .

Hasn't changed mine.

I have about 1500 CDs. I think there are five more in transit, from Brazil, and Japan.

Habit: I (somewhat) randomly listen to one, and leave it about 1/2" out when replaced into the shelf - it says "I listened to this recently".

When I want a CD (as opposed to the radio which gets a lot of use - Classical (WSMR) and Jazz 9WUSF) and Community Programming (WMNF) ) I somewhat randomly pick another not recently listened to.

It's not a hard rule to not relisten to one recently listened to, but you get the idea. When they're all cokeyed in the shelf, shove them back in, and pick an old favorite.

Takes a long time to go through them all, long enough to have forgotten what is on some of them, or even that I have them.

When I go to my systems these days, it is almost always to listen to something new I have discovered.

I'm not so much into "gotta hear something new", having heard and rejected plenty of "new" over the years. Too much half-assed intro, four notes verses, now with a modern clipped crescendo in 3 1/2 minutes out there for me to waste my time with. If listening to something "new", I sample the intro (the often somewhat unique prelude to "hook" you, the first verse, skip to see how long the four or five notes of the first verse repeat, make sure it has the Big Crescendo, and then try another. I'm not that skilled a DJ, so I get bored with trying that activity rather quickly.

If I can anticipate the next note I tend to be less interested in listening to it. I prefer the surprise of the mentally unanticipated chord or rythym. Oddly, much of what I do listen to I can put on repeat and let it go for quite a while, so, ???

My collection has depth when I find someone/something I like. All of Carla Bley, Hermeto Pascoal, Kazumi Watanabe, Monk, Al DiMeola, and a few others. I prefer to hear the masters of a genre again, rather than try to find some imitation of it*.

I mostly buy used now, too many favorites are dead or decrepit or already rich, so they won't miss my miserly contribution much.

I'll check something out on YouTube (or similar) if trying to make a purchase decision, but streaming (with me as DJ) doesn't wiggle my twig.

Color me dull and uninteresting and behind the times and all that. I can take it.

---

*They say: "Gimme the tune. Do I like this tune? Does it sound like another tune that I like? The more familiar it is, the better I like it. Hear those three notes there? Those are the three notes I can sing along with. I like those notes very, very much. Give me a beat. Not a fancy one. Give me a GOOD BEAT -- something I can dance to. It has to go boom-bap, boom-boom-BAP. If it doesn't, I will hate it very, very much. Also, I want it right away -- and then, write me some more songs like that -- over and over and over again, because I'm really into music." - Frank Zappa

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm not so much into "gotta hear something new", having heard and rejected plenty of "new" over the years. Too much half-assed intro, four notes verses, now with a modern clipped crescendo in 3 1/2 minutes out there for me to waste my time with. If listening to something "new", I sample the intro (the often somewhat unique prelude to "hook" you, the first verse, skip to see how long the four or five notes of the first verse repeat, make sure it has the Big Crescendo, and then try another. I'm not that skilled a DJ, so I get bored with trying that activity rather quickly.
When I say "new" I don't necessarily mean new music. I mean newly discovered. A lot of it I discover in our own forum so by definition it is good stuff. :) I also discover them while watching TV, reading reviews, going to shows, etc. I put them in Roon library and then play them when I have time.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I use jriver. Just clicked on All Albums and it tells me I have 14,494 albums in my library. That includes all RBCD, SACD, DVDA and vinyl rips, both 2 channel and multi.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I use jriver. Just clicked on All Albums and it tells me I have 14,494 albums in my library. That includes all RBCD, SACD, DVDA and vinyl rips, both 2 channel and multi.
Watchnerd: now you see how ill advised it was for you and I to post about our tiny libraries. :D

I need to change the topic to how many multimeters people have to make myself feel good again. :D :D

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have around 500 Lps and 2000 CDs, a few SACDs and some downloaded music bought on line.
I have a music library of ripped CDs from when I was on a flight each week and listened to a portable a lot, but I don't use it all that much now I have retired.
I use qobuz to listen to new stuff to decide what to buy.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Watchnerd: now you see how ill advised it was for you and I to post about our tiny libraries. :D

I need to change the topic to how many multimeters people have to make myself feel good again. :D :D
I have 2 multimeters :)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
We look like babes in the woods compared to yours Kal. :) Those DXDs and DSDs take a ton of space though. The former is just insane in size.
Especially since most are 5 or 6 channels.

Top Bottom