• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

how much do headphones and speakers affect people's music playing and singing?

stalepie2

Major Contributor

Like the Sony MDR-7506, Audio Technica and HD-650 in this video , does it affect how people sing, or record, and play trumpets? Does it matter much?

Are they more likely to sing their heart out if they can't hear themselves very well (don't have a very revealing headphone or revealing playback system)? Because then they'll be less self-conscious of flaws in their voice or instrument playing. They'll be more set free if they use bad headphones.

And why do they wear them to begin with? People didn't use to wear headphones when playing music. I think before the 70s it was pretty uncommon.

It always looks silly when they go out on stage too, all those music performances. Like thousands of concerts and thousands of musicians and they're always wearing those little "hard to see" earpieces which I always see anyway and it looks stupid.

OP
S

stalepie2

Major Contributor
More headphones while playing. It's like there's no videos anymore of musicians playing anything or singing at all ever without headphones on.

why can't they just play without having headphones on like they used to? I think it was started by ABBA or something. I remember videos from the 70s of them wearing headphones while singing.

yeah it was some kind of AKG thing. Probably just like Monster Beats paying athletes to wear their headphones in public.

OP
S

stalepie2

Major Contributor
They don't need to hear that clicking sound. It's not even complex music they're singing. It's simple children's music (pop music) that four year olds can sing without a clicking sound keeping time.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll never know....no one wants to hear me sing with or without speakers clamped to my head.

dc655321

Major Contributor
IEMs and headphones are often used so that on-stage monitors and their polluting signals can be avoided from entering the feed.

It's not typically a fashion statement...

OP
S

stalepie2

Major Contributor
Another thing that annoys me. Why is it people sit so far from the piano? like this:

shouldn't he scoot up a bit?

or this girl, she looks like she's about to fall off. Is she just showing off her sexy legs?

Screenshot_2021-05-21 (5) Roxette - Listen To Your Heart (Piano cover) - YouTube.jpg

because classical music with girls in them, the ones with attractive girls always have a billion views and likes more than ones with unattractive girls playing classical instruments.

But I did notice that I've found it more comfortable to type on the keyboard if I push the keyboard out some, which is sort of the same thing, but that goes against the rules of ergonomics in how you're supposed to sit and type at a computer. So I got it so far out that my forearms are on the table. The table itself is too high but that kind of makes it nice to rest them on. Nonetheless I am not sitting on the edge of my seat, so I don't know why pianists have to sit on the edge necessarily. They could still scoot the bench forward can't they? Or they can't? Then why isn't the bench very thin in width? It can fit a big bottom if you look at the one above. but everyone is supposed to sit right on the edge. That's how you play piano.

Top Bottom