• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

how many DACs are out there?

Robert C

Here are some measurements for the DAC Magic: https://www.stereophile.com/content/cambridge-audio-azur-dacmagic-da-converter-measurements

Perhaps someone can figure out its all important SINAD score from these?

A new unit from Topping would outperform the older DAC Magic. Topping seems to be the market leader at the moment. You probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference but at least you'd know you have SOTA transparent sound! My suggestion, if you still want to upgrade, would be to buy a Topping DAC that has the features you need/will need: https://www.tpdz.net/dac

Certainly don't waste your money on anything from Naim though.

OP
pma560

pma560

Here are some measurements for the DAC Magic: https://www.stereophile.com/content/cambridge-audio-azur-dacmagic-da-converter-measurements

Perhaps someone can figure out its all important SINAD score from these?

A new unit from Topping would outperform the older DAC Magic. Topping seems to be the market leader at the moment. You probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference but at least you'd know you have SOTA transparent sound! My suggestion, if you still want to upgrade, would be to buy a Topping DAC that has the features you need/will need: https://www.tpdz.net/dac

Certainly don't waste your money on anything from Naim though.

Thanks, these are really useful pointers, Topping does look like a winner.

For features I'm looking at the Cambridge Audio CXN V2. A local shop is willing to lend me one so I can try it out at home (!)
I do want it to sound better than my current DAC of course (will try to set up good blind tests).

Is there anyone on the forum in the know, is there maybe a V3 coming? (maybe once they get rid of the V2 stock :)

Thanks to ASR I figured that a lot of the money for these pricey DACs goes to marketing / brand image / a large heavy pretty case / bragging rights / ... ?
(there must be more :))

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

For features I'm looking at the Cambridge Audio CXN V2. A local shop is willing to lend me one so I can try it out at home (!)
I do want it to sound better than my current DAC of course (will try to set up good blind tests).

Is there anyone on the forum in the know, is there maybe a V3 coming? (maybe once they get rid of the V2 stock :)

Thanks to ASR I figured that a lot of the money for these pricey DACs goes to marketing / brand image / a large heavy pretty case / bragging rights / ... ?
I have the CXN V2- no idea if there will be a v3 .

Its a good device- measures well https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...audio-cxn-v2-measurements-streamer-dac.31915/

I doubt it sounds any different to a raspberry pi connected to a Topping DAC. Definitely dont get the CXN if you are going to connect via USB to a PC but its a useful streamer especially for a Roon user.

OP
pma560

pma560

I have the CXN V2- no idea if there will be a v3 .

Its a good device- measures well https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...audio-cxn-v2-measurements-streamer-dac.31915/

I doubt it sounds any different to a raspberry pi connected to a Topping DAC. Definitely dont get the CXN if you are going to connect via USB to a PC but its a useful streamer especially for a Roon user.

I also have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ sitting here, connected to a Behringer UCA202 DAC (!)(which cost maybe 10-15 euros at the time), running Moode
(so it has internet radio & spotify).

an Intel NUC is now connected to the DacMagic, running Kodi.

The CXN V2 would be so there's a single box instead of 4.

Still, if I don't hear a difference then I can probably put everything on the NUC and have 2 boxes.

Robert C

Ah, sorry - didn't realise you wanted a streamer. The CXN V2 certainly looks the part, you pay a premium though. Alternatively you could couple the WiiM Mini with a Topping DAC via optical connection and save money (should yield better - though imperceptible - technical results) but it doesn't look as good. Obviously check the WiiM does what you need first.

I don't think anything is going to sound 'better' than your current DAC. They will sound the same. So you're really just looking at features/build and, perhaps, piece of mind that you're getting transparent playback.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It turns out every man and his dog make and sell DACs :)
Re "how many DACs are out there?" the answer is 666, for outboard DACs were sent by the Devil to sow dissension and confusion. So far, it's working! :Do_O

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
looking to replace an original Cambridge Audio Dacmagic.
Why? Not arguing, wondering. Is it failing? You want to stream or do something that can't do? What is all the rest of the system?

OP
pma560

pma560

Re "how many DACs are out there?" the answer is 666, for outboard DACs were sent by the Devil to sow dissension and confusion. So far, it's working! :Do_O

The real answer can't be that far off. I'm now guessing the total number of brands is close to 200.

& thanks for the story pointers :)

Why? Not arguing, wondering. Is it failing? You want to stream or do something that can't do? What is all the rest of the system?

It is definitely not failing. When switching it with an Arcam ST60 in a store I couldn't hear a difference (even though the sales guy could :p)

I remember a quote on this site, along the lines of "if your DAC is from before 2014, replace it", but of course can't find it anymore :|

I started looking into streamers when my cable company stopped providing FM radio, making my tuner useless (a Sansui TU-517 (insert cry emoji here..)).

The options I'm looking at:
- merge current setup (Intel NUC + DacMagic, Raspberry Pi + Behringer) into one with just the NUC and DacMagic
- possibly replace the DacMagic if it improves the sound (I imagined (?) hearing better sound from a Naim streamer, but not going to spend 3000 on this)
- get an all-in-one box like the CXN V2 (but if it sounds the same, why bother..)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It is definitely not failing. When switching it with an Arcam ST60 in a store I couldn't hear a difference (even though the sales guy could :p)

Of course he could... :rolleyes:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember a quote on this site, along the lines of "if your DAC is from before 2014, replace it"
Yes people like to make blanket statements like that. I disagree with this one, there were some well made DACs well before 2014, heck the one inside the Magnavox CDB650 was pretty exemplary. In more recent times the S/N of DACs has become quite high at bargain prices-and some DACs have gotten very cheap like the extreme $9 case of the Apple dongle. I suspect yours is fine but certainly try others, as long as you can return them for not much fee. As @Robert C said "You probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference but at least you'd know you have SOTA transparent sound!" to which I would coda if you can't hear the difference your wallet won't either ha ha

OP
pma560

pma560

The real answer can't be that far off. I'm now guessing the total number of brands is close to 200.

Ok maybe the number is closer to 250 .. (at 210 now).

There seem to be lots and lots of relatively new Chinese brands.

For some it is difficult to find basic info. For example "Arylic" has no address, and no info on when it was founded.
I sent them email, but no reply yet.

The "about us" page is even more generic than usual:
"Arylic is founded by groups of expert people with different skills from home audio and lifestyle new technology products." (?!)

The "team" info has no pictures and only first names (Ryan, Simon, Frank, Landon) (and a header "Excellent Team Behind The Technology" ..).

I'm guessing this is the first fully AI generated audio company :p

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
666 Audio - home of the “Devil May Care DAC”! Get yours today, fresh off the eternal burn in process. Make all your recordings hotter than ever! Balanced output with 6.66 volts out for even higher SINAD. Only $666 including shipping!:mad:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
666 Audio - home of the “Devil May Care DAC”! Get yours today, fresh off the eternal burn in process. Make all your recordings hotter than ever! Balanced output with 6.66 volts out for even higher SINAD. Only $666 including shipping!:mad:
I'll pass. ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

There seem to be lots and lots of relatively new Chinese brands.

For some it is difficult to find basic info. For example "Arylic" has no address, and no info on when it was founded.
I sent them email, but no reply yet.

The "about us" page is even more generic than usual:
"Arylic is founded by groups of expert people with different skills from home audio and lifestyle new technology products." (?!)

The "team" info has no pictures and only first names (Ryan, Simon, Frank, Landon) (and a header "Excellent Team Behind The Technology" ..).

I'm guessing this is the first fully AI generated audio company :p

So more than a month later, did you buy a new one? Do you still expect to "hear" differences?

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio electronics are comically simple and cheap to build to get a halfway decent product compared to actually complicated stuff like PC motherboards. Add some mysticism to the mix to inflate margins to the stratosphere and its not hard to see why there are so many of them.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Audio electronics are comically simple and cheap to build to get a halfway decent product compared to actually complicated stuff like PC motherboards. Add some mysticism to the mix to inflate margins to the stratosphere and its not hard to see why there are so many of them.
Let alone the excitement generated by the various old analog setups finally converting to digital...it's like magic! :)

OP
pma560

pma560

So more than a month later, did you buy a new one? Do you still expect to "hear" differences?

No, not yet, have been crazy busy with work & other projects lately..

I'm hoping to have time for this in January :rolleyes:

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good point.

I bought it ~ 12 years ago, and figured there must have been improvements in that time.

I'd like to go by listening tests, but those take work (the last shop I went to let me bring my amp, speakers, cables, and DAC for a good comparison, which was nice, but a bit of a hassle of course).

*edit*: initial cost range was max 2000 (for a streamer + DAC), but it looks like I could lower that, from reading the info here
(so no point in spending 65k on a Nagra then :p)
No idea if any of the new DACs will sound better/different but something like SHD Studio can surely bring very audible improvements (Dirac/EQ/etc)

OP
pma560

pma560

Just added only 2: Jay's Audio and Audioengine.

I was thinking that the only brands left are maybe the tiny ones and ones that are no longer trading,
but the Jay's Audio DAC was reviewed on Beekhuyzen's channel 2 weeks ago (!)

Top Bottom