• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do I test equipment with an analog o-scope?

My understanding with that glass windmill thingy is that there is not an absolute vacuum in there, and the dark sides of the vanes absorb heat from the sunlight and slightly push gas molecules away from them, and the force of the molecules as they launch from the vanes pushes them enough to spin the device. The white sides of the vanes do not heat up as much, so the imbalance in heating allows an unbalanced force to develop on the vane's paddles, causing rotation to happen. I also recall seeing an experiment in which one of these globes was fitted with a nipple to allow a vacuum pump to be connected to it. At first, the air-filled globe's spinner did not rotate. The pump was turned on, and after a while, the spinner started to move. As the pump continued to run, the spinner came to a standstill.

I'm getting weird sounds and crosstalk on my system. Currently I have the sony receiver/amplifier set to volume 6 to minimize the noise floor, get rid of the hiss/buzz. Still, YPAO calibration seems to lower the channels by 3-5 dB on the channels driven by the sony.

The problem is the resultant audio isn't that good. It sounded great when I tested it in 2-channel, but hooked up as the surround receiver, (with the M-65 driving the fronts), it doesn't sound so great.

Am I losing something by not running the receiver/amplifier at full power? Maybe there's an impedance mismatch? Maybe the cables I'm using are ******? Maybe the RX-A810's preamps aren't behaving that well? It sounds worse than when I had the RX-A810 handle the surround amplification. At higher volumes it's ok, but now it almost sounds like it's introducing problems in the front channels that didn't have any issues prior.

I'm increasingly starting to suspect the rx-a810

I'm getting weird sounds and crosstalk on my system. Currently I have the sony receiver/amplifier set to volume 6 to minimize the noise floor, get rid of the hiss/buzz. Still, YPAO calibration seems to lower the channels by 3-5 dB on the channels driven by the sony.

The problem is the resultant audio isn't that good. It sounded great when I tested it in 2-channel, but hooked up as the surround receiver, (with the M-65 driving the fronts), it doesn't sound so great.

Am I losing something by not running the receiver/amplifier at full power? Maybe there's an impedance mismatch? Maybe the cables I'm using are ******? Maybe the RX-A810's preamps aren't behaving that well? It sounds worse than when I had the RX-A810 handle the surround amplification. At higher volumes it's ok, but now it almost sounds like it's introducing problems in the front channels that didn't have any issues prior.
I really doubt there is an "impedance mismatch" or anything wrong with the cables. You can move the cables around to see if that makes any difference. I suspect YPAO; you might try re-running to see if it makes any difference. Be sure the mic is mounted solidly (preferably on a mic stand) at ear level. There could be something wrong with the AVR but if it sounds OK in two-channel mode (is that with or without YPAO?) then possibly the AVR is bad or it is upmixing and you do not care for the sound.

Indeed, I will (!) go to a GUI Linux-based OS "full time" if (when) MS goes to subscription (i.e., perpetual revenue stream) access to Windows! :mad:
Why not now?

Why not now?

Still too attached to the Office s/w. :facepalm:
As tedious and arcane as some of the formatting behavior is in Word (and has been since the late 1980s!), I've found the open source "office" products to be even more cumbersome & tedious to use for "productivity".
I do have a few Linux machines here for puttering -- and they're great for that.

Can you describe/re-describe how you have this gear configured/connected. Has it changed in connections etc? What is the system doing?

RX-A810 Pre-outs: the fronts go to the M-65 (with nice monster cables that were given to me), the Center and 5 surrounds to the STR-DB930 (with ****** cables).

The STR-DB930 is in 5.1 input mode. There's a slight 60Hz buzz when the rx-a810 is running and plugged in. When off, there's a higher-pitched hiss or whatnot. The STR-DB930 itself buzzes at 60Hz when on. I have the Sony volume set to 60 to remove the hiss/buzz when it's running, and YPAO seems to like it at that point. If I turn it up all the way, it puts some speakers at like -10dB. The M-65 is at full power and gives no hiss, hum, or anything. YPAO likes it. Even when used in conjunction with the RX-A810 internal amps for the other speakers, they all come out at about the same level.

Still too attached to the Office s/w. :facepalm:
As tedious and arcane as some of the formatting behavior is in Word (and has been since the late 1980s!), I've found the open source "office" products to be even more cumbersome & tedious to use for "productivity".
I do have a few Linux machines here for puttering -- and they're great for that.

Perhaps you did not know this, but one can use MS Office products in any web browser. Check out Office 365. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom