• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How can I make this system better? Hegel h390 and focal Diablo utopia

OP
D

Diseasex

I'll repeat the question : is that everything I can achieve sound wise? Would upgrade to for example utopia scala (eventually) improve sound ?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll repeat the question : is that everything I can achieve sound wise? Would upgrade to for example utopia scala (eventually) improve sound ?
The gains are in your room, not your speakers. It still looks very sparse and reflective.

napfkuchen

For me placing absorbers (especially in the corners) helped a lot. I also have a small room with similar dimensions.

napfkuchen

You’re second person telling me that
You already have successfully improved the frequency response but unfortunately eq cannot fix reverb problems.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You’re second person telling me that
Yup gues who whose first.
@voodooless it still reacts/interacts badly in lower part of the spectrum but even with that two panels that are 12 cm thick absorbers he got a good suppression in mids and highs and reaction there is rather good. It's a small room after all.

steve59

Major Contributor
I read thru', but missed what specifically you wanted to improve? I'm the least scientific of the members helping you but have found myself in your shoes more than once. I have a couple hegel int's at home and spent some time comparing the h390 with some other electronics on Dali epicon 8's a couple weeks ago(bass was slammin). In a reflective room small differences could be magnified. You have mentioned getting larger Focals, but your measurements don't look lacking in bass. Money burning a hole in your pocket, bored? that's serious. It's hard to ask a dealer for help when you/I know i'm buying used after I figure it out so I find the owner and lay my cards out. I have cash, am willing to spend xx% of list and if he lets me keep talking I start borrowing gear 1 weekend at a time til I figure out what I'm not hearing.

OP
D

Diseasex

I read thru', but missed what specifically you wanted to improve? I'm the least scientific of the members helping you but have found myself in your shoes more than once. I have a couple hegel int's at home and spent some time comparing the h390 with some other electronics on Dali epicon 8's a couple weeks ago(bass was slammin). In a reflective room small differences could be magnified. You have mentioned getting larger Focals, but your measurements don't look lacking in bass. Money burning a hole in your pocket, bored? that's serious. It's hard to ask a dealer for help when you/I know i'm buying used after I figure it out so I find the owner and lay my cards out. I have cash, am willing to spend xx% of list and if he lets me keep talking I start borrowing gear 1 weekend at a time til I figure out what I'm not hearing.
Yeah but what’s there beyond response? I saw perfect response here and yet reviewer says he prefers other speaker?

I’m happy with these focals but wondering if I’m missing out on anything

steve59

Major Contributor
My point is that when you're happy with your system it's easy to fall into the music, but if there's something distracting you from that enjoyment maybe you need to identify what it is instead of barking up a tree. I had a chair I bought and it was keeping me from relaxing.

Who cares what everybody else likes? I can't afford to make the internet happy, I only need to satisfy my own listening needs. honestly to make this forum happy just buy some benchmark components cheap cables and a pair of f208 speakers. presto, You'll have 10,000 new ASR fans. and more money in your pocket buying used.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
honestly to make this forum happy just buy some benchmark components cheap cables and a pair of f208 speakers. presto, You'll have 10,000 new ASR fans.
You sure couldn't go wrong with that combination. ;)

OP
D

Diseasex

My point is that when you're happy with your system it's easy to fall into the music, but if there's something distracting you from that enjoyment maybe you need to identify what it is instead of barking up a tree. I had a chair I bought and it was keeping me from relaxing.

Who cares what everybody else likes? I can't afford to make the internet happy, I only need to satisfy my own listening needs. honestly to make this forum happy just buy some benchmark components cheap cables and a pair of f208 speakers. presto, You'll have 10,000 new ASR fans. and more money in your pocket buying used.
My point is the response with woofer with no xover and letting it be full range is much worse than the above up until 300 hz with some distortion etc, but yet the pleasure of listening is night and day compared with 50hz or 100hz xover that gives almost flat response

I just empirically proven to myself that response flatness and perfectness is not everything

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I just empirically proven to myself that response flatness and perfectness is not everything
Nope, it's only something called High Fidelity.
Feel free to introduce as much distortion as pleases you. ;)

OP
D

Diseasex

Nope, it's only something called High Fidelity.
Feel free to introduce as much distortion as pleases you. ;)
ok I’ll measure it tomorrow and let’s discuss why no crossover sounds better despite more distortion

Rob 81

Kudos! Your system it’s so nice! Speakers and amp are very good devices. You don’t need add a sub until you works in your room setup. Speakers position it’s very important, then go for a rack amp (for regulate vibrations) and maybe a couple of good cables (No a crazy ones, but good ones) always you can add a better dac/streamer. But the first thing first is the correct placement of the speakers and some basic acoustic treatment, such as curtains, plants in the corners and carpet.

Ivan.ruiz

Forum Donor
Hi guys I’m new to this forum and shall we say fresh audiophile.
I was researching a lot and ended up completing a system with Hegel h390 and focal Diablo utopia but now I want more unfortunately!

My room is 4.5m x 3.5 and listening space 3.5 x 2.6m and I stream music from my pc (foobar2000 and tidal)

What can I top this up with to make it sound better ? I’m looking at svs 2000 pro (1-2 units) but petertyson is saying it’s rather low end for this kind of system.
and really have no clue how to approach room treatment and if I even should ?

Was also thinking of using chord quest to replace Hegel dac but few people advised against

Any other ideas aside from upgrading the speakers higher ?

I know there’s lots of information out there but I’m looking to learn more here(and upgrade as an outcome of this thread) thank you

Hi guys I’m new to this forum and shall we say fresh audiophile.
I was researching a lot and ended up completing a system with Hegel h390 and focal Diablo utopia but now I want more unfortunately!

My room is 4.5m x 3.5 and listening space 3.5 x 2.6m and I stream music from my pc (foobar2000 and tidal)

What can I top this up with to make it sound better ? I’m looking at svs 2000 pro (1-2 units) but petertyson is saying it’s rather low end for this kind of system.
and really have no clue how to approach room treatment and if I even should ?

Was also thinking of using chord quest to replace Hegel dac but few people advised against

Any other ideas aside from upgrading the speakers higher ?

I know there’s lots of information out there but I’m looking to learn more here(and upgrade as an outcome of this thread) thank you
Hi, I am also new and have the same Hegel 390 amp driving Sibelius or Sopra 3 speakers with so so sound with the Sibelius and much better with the Sopras. Recently connected a Denafrips Terminator Plus in DAC loop mode and the sound improved a lot. Imagine what the Diablos would do :). I haven't tried the Sopras but I will...

Last edited:

Ivan.ruiz

Forum Donor
Hi, I am also new and have the same Hegel 390 amp driving Sibelius or Sopra 3 speakers with so so sound with the Sibelius and much better with the Sopras. Recently connected a Denafrips Terminator Plus in DAC loop mode and the sound improved a lot. Imagine what the Diablos would do :). I haven't tried the Sopras but I will...
It took me a while to configure the Hegel in DAC loop mode but once correctly configured the sound is really superior and you can place the instruments as they play. I also have two Rel subs on.

Willem

Major Contributor
I would be surprised if under controled listening conditions you can identify the different DAC.

Last edited:

lowkeyoperations

If you don’t have Dirac Live yet, then get that. You will be amazed at how much better your system will sound with top quality room correction software.

I almost lol every time I switch it off and hear what I thought sounded quite good :p

Top Bottom