• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How can I make this system better? Hegel h390 and focal Diablo utopia

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
View attachment 258943

legend - orange is 60cm from wall, blue is against the wall.
what am I paying attention to ? thank you
First. There is some sort of an unwritten quasi standard for these graphs.
At the upper right there is a tool in REW which lets you set the graph axis.
Set x from 20 to 20000Hz so we see the whole audio spectrum.
Set y from 50 to 100dB this makes it easier for those who look at these type of graphs often and that’s how many here are displayed.
(I know DallasSteve told you differently but if you could capture the legend below too, that would be great as it not only shows the color but also the smoothing type used, which makes a big difference in the graphs appearance. Again either use Var or 1/12 for smoothing).

OP
D

Diseasex

thanks for being patient with me :)
1674338978775.png

Sheddweller

Morning. There's an excellent YouTube video about using REW by a chap called Julian Krause. Here's the link.

Correct your speakers with REW

You've got some bass peaks that can be eq'd down (rew will suggest the filters) and you can apply them using equaliser APO and the Peace interface.

The rew manual is also worth a read if you have time.

P.S.
I posted earlier in the thread asking your location, is it Cumbria by any chance?

OP
D

Diseasex

Morning. There's an excellent YouTube video about using REW by a chap called Julian Krause. Here's the link.

Correct your speakers with REW

You've got some bass peaks that can be eq'd down (rew will suggest the filters) and you can apply them using equaliser APO and the Peace interface.

The rew manual is also worth a read if you have time.

P.S.
I posted earlier in the thread asking your location, is it Cumbria by any chance?
Thanks, will look at it.
I did scan through meanings of these indicators so have an idea but I guess just need practical knowledge .
Is it only peaks in worried about ?
It’s Manchester btw

Sheddweller

I'm no expert but I've heard that it's good practice to minimise the number of filters used (5 or so), to only attempt to correct below the Schroeder frequency and to only attempt to lower the peaks (you can't eq a null).

It's a steep learning curve but you'll get there.

You've got a very live looking room so there's plenty you can do to improve things without eq...

What I do is allow rew to determine the filters then set them manually into the peace interface on equaliser APO, I have a my own preference for bass so have a couple of shelving filters to adjust the overall response to my taste.

OP
D

Diseasex

I'm no expert but I've heard that it's good practice to minimise the number of filters used (5 or so), to only attempt to correct below the Schroeder frequency and to only attempt to lower the peaks (you can't eq a null).

It's a steep learning curve but you'll get there.

You've got a very live looking room so there's plenty you can do to improve things without eq...

What I do is allow rew to determine the filters then set them manually into the peace interface on equaliser APO, I have a my own preference for bass so have a couple of shelving filters to adjust the overall response to my taste.
thanks for this
managed to achieve much flatter response thanks to that EQ wizard. Mint! Now all I need is acustic panels to trap the bass I assume (the biggest peak at the end) ?
legend : blue = after EQ, orange =before EQ
1674405622695.png

fineMen

Major Contributor
The response of this speakers is 44hz and up . So my uneducated thinking is I’m losing sounds below that and I want to hear them.
I do miss bass sometimes so I planned to set svs to 44hz and below
I second the opinion to not spend anything on new high price low value end without measurement. Think of the names given to the components: Hegel, a German idealist philosopher and metaphysisist (who saves the idea of a god in translating his/her virtues to a spiritual world of abstract 'ideas') and Diabolo utopia (shouldn't it be named dystopia then).

A catch 21 situation with an inner contradiction, a paradox. At least the mini speakers are, well, special in their layout. You could sell them for good and get some real stuff. If you don't mind: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/neumann-kh-150-monitor-review.39922/ Derive your own conclusions. Just my 2cc.

OP
D

Diseasex

I second the opinion to not spend anything on new high price low value end without measurement. Think of the names given to the components: Hegel, a German idealist philosopher and metaphysisist (who saves the idea of a god in translating his/her virtues to a spiritual world of abstract 'ideas') and Diabolo utopia (shouldn't it be named dystopia then).

A catch 21 situation with an inner contradiction, a paradox. At least the mini speakers are, well, special in their layout. You could sell them for good and get some real stuff. If you don't mind: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/neumann-kh-150-monitor-review.39922/ Derive your own conclusions. Just my 2cc.
Isn't that under perfect conditions? I'm fighting with my empty room here
index.php

these measurements aren't that bad.

Whether that neumann sounds better to me, no idea, but sure as hell looks ugly

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
thanks for this
managed to achieve much flatter response thanks to that EQ wizard. Mint! Now all I need is acustic panels to trap the bass I assume (the biggest peak at the end) ?
legend : blue = after EQ, orange =before EQ
View attachment 259126
Be easier to knock those down with EQ passive absorption for 60Hz is going to take up a lot of space, you could use membrane traps but they are expensive.
Keith

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning

OP is actually endeavoring to improve his room setup and room treatment - the right things that actually make the biggest impact on how a system sounds and worth improving before fussing with electronics or other speakers. They might not be the best value for money, but he already selected components that shouldn’t be a barrier to good sound.

fineMen

Major Contributor
OP is actually endeavoring to improve his room setup and room treatment - the right things that actually make the biggest impact on how a system sounds and worth improving before fussing with electronics or other speakers. They might not be the best value for money, but he already selected components that shouldn’t be a barrier to good sound.
After learning about measuring and reading the results I hope. Complex matters won't be straightened out automatically. :oops:

OP
D

Diseasex

Very pleased it’s sounding atm , discovering the old music again.

Would you say best value (and sound) for money would be
2x svs sb2000 at 400£ each
2x svs sb1000 pro 550£ each
Or
1x svs sb2000 pro 800£ each

(Around 1000 budget - ideally less)

OP
D

Diseasex

Thanks everyone I’m in absolute heaven now :D

Now the question is : how can I make this even better without overwhelming the room :D

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Isn't that under perfect conditions? I'm fighting with my empty room here

Maybe post an Impulse Response, from -0.002 to +0.040 milliseconds.

For grins.

Bumps are reflections.

Example:

1677622360407.png

1ms - top of couch or mic stand
4ms - maybe seat of couch
7ms - wall behind speakers
27ms - speaker to wall behind listener back to wall behind speaker back to listener

Not much else, these speakers are dipoles and don't send much to the sidewall, ceiling, or floor.

Compare to wide dispersion speakers in the same room, adjacent to the dipoles:

1677622674439.png

Higher level and number of reflections.

Last edited:
OP
D

Diseasex

Will do that Later,
Been tuning with @ZolaIII and quite tired but good fun.
This is where we got to (green with final touch high shelf @1000hz)

Attachments

• 9CD70DC8-56C7-4545-BDFA-41EFA5DC0446.png
    9CD70DC8-56C7-4545-BDFA-41EFA5DC0446.png
    133.1 KB · Views: 78

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Unfortunately my writing has much more to be desired (not the semantics just writing) and greatest offender as always is autocorrect.
I hope you like what can be achieved in small crowded half treated room.
Best regards and have a nice time.

Top Bottom