• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How can I best improve my system for around $1000?

Robert394

I have the following setup in a ~500 sqft room with a couch about 6' from the speakers:

Hedd Type 20s (MK1/original analog version)
Adam Sub10 10" Subwoofer
RME ADI-2 DAC

I'd like to make a meaningful improvement to my system for around $1000. A couple ideas I've had are:

1. Sell the Sub10 and buy the Sub12 (would this be too much bass energy for my room given the couch is 6-7' away? Cannot move couch further back).
2. Buy a second Sub10 -- I still have a Sub8 and tried to test what this would be like by putting it in front of the Type 20 that is nearer to the wall. I thought my system sounded worse overall, but I'm not sure if that's because it was the Sub8 instead of the 10, or because it's too much bass energy, or the sub placement wasn't ideal.
3. Buy some add-on/gadget that I'm not thinking of?
4. Try to sell the entire system for maybe $3-4,000 and spend around $5000 on a substantially better pair of speakers (not aware of any that would offer enough improvement to be worth the trouble, anyone?)

I'm open to ideas. One thing I can't do is any real room treatment. I do have a couple panels on the wall to break up reflections but that's about all I can do.

Thanks!

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What issues / deficiencies are you seeking to correct? On the surface, i.e. not knowing anything about the room response etc, your system appears to be pretty good already.

It would be great to see one of those HEDD speakers sent to Amir for testing. Did I see one recently in a video from British Grove? It could have been something else.

ExPerfectionist

What are your main complaints or things you think are deficient, have room for improvement? What sources do you use? Have you taken measurements of frequency response? Perhaps a DSP could help.

Room treatments can be made to blend in with the room. Bass traps in corners could match the wall color, diffusers could look like wall art, rugs are room decor, etc.
Speaker/sub placement optimization is free or mostly free (if you need a mic). Room acoustics are going to be the biggest area to understand, as you can't always "fix" sound with different equipment (unless it's "warmer speakers for bright/reflective room").

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't even start with room treatment.

Pick up an UMIK-1 measurement mic and a miniDSP, that's $300. In a few hours you can solve the biggest issues that are usually huge peaks in low frequencies.

And even if that is not enough you get nice measurements and know what you are dealing with, much easier to decide on any future upgrades.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Of the 4 you options listed, imo:
1. Definitely not
2. nope
3. Yup. The MiniDSP and mic mentioned above would be a real nice start.
4. Unless you just want to try something new, probably not. If you got 1/2 retail you’d be lucky. Also, your DAC is already SOTA. maybe a Benchmark DAC looks cooler, but it isn’t any better. Your sub is fine. I’ve not seen your speakers measured, so I really can’t comment.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I agree with diagnosis before treatment...

If you have "bass problems" moving the subwoofer can make a difference (better or worse) and it costs nothing but you are often limited to what is practical and visually acceptable.

One thing I can't do is any real room treatment. I do have a couple panels on the wall to break up reflections but that's about all I can do.
Most "big" acoustic problems are in the bass range and regular acoustic panels don't help. Bass traps help to trap the reflected bass, smoothing out the bumps and the dips.

And sometimes we have really good sound but we get bored with it and want to improve something... In that case the solution might be some new music or maybe take a break from listening for awhile.

Last edited:
Top Bottom