• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HMDI eARC vs Toslink into DAC for 2 Channel Setup - LG C9 TV & RME ADI-2 FS

CrispCusp

Hi All,

After much investigation I've yet to be able to find a definitive answer to a question that's been bugging me for while,

I'm currently very happy with my music listening setup: Pro-Ject Stream Box s2 Ultra - RME ADI-2 FS - Event Opal Active Monitors

Though I now also want to get the highest res audio possible through from my TV to my DAC

My primary viewing sources are the LG C9's integrated Netflix, Amazon Prime & Disney+ apps (my god was Mandalorian series 2 glorious) and the xbox series x for gaming only.

The simplest integration would appear to be running the toslink/optical out of the TV into the RME DAC, though would I be missing out on any 'higher-res' formats?

Multi-channel aside, does HDMI eARC deliver higher res 2 channel audio from the above streaming services/setup?

I've seen this product: http://www.cypeurope.com/store/stor...Audio-Converter-with-Dolby-DigitalDTS-Decoder

Which appears to be able to down-mix an eARC HDMI out from DTS or Dolby Digital to 2 channel, and out via Coax which I was thinking to feed into the RME DAC,

Would there be any real benefit to this or am I better off sticking to the old faithful Optical out?

Would greatly appreciate any of your thoughts or considerations!

LutinBleu

I bought recently an LG G3 TV and wondering if I should feed my RME ADI-2 DAC via an optical cord or convert the HDMI signal to coax via an adapter.

Did you find out which solution sounds best?

Top Bottom