• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High pass filter with a sub

djb

Simple question. Do you always recommend using a high pass filter if available in your preamp in a 2.1 system with a subwoofer?

If more specifics are needed… Wharfdale Lintons with 160 W per channel receiver and 10 inch paradigm sub capable of 20 Hz.

Pareto Pragmatic

Recommend? Simple answer, yes. Better sound from the mains, much easier to get things smooth than trying to feather the sub into a full range speaker. I've tried both.

I ended up deciding that for me, 2.0 is better than 2.1 without high pass. But then I do have a lot of room gain, so your situation might be different.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
The main issue with running mains full with a subwoofer is the phase issues in the overlaping frequencies.
A possible method to use the mains full-range is to match their natural roll-off with a corresponding low-pass for the sub. probably only really doable with digital LP

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There are competing priorities here. On the one hand you want as many sources of bass as possible, as this makes the LF response smoother in the room. On the other hand most main speakers will have limited bass below 50Hz, with distortion at high SPL.

if your listening levels aren’t too high, then running everything full range is a good option. the point where it makes sense to high pass your mains will depend on listening levels and the speakers themselves,

dasdoing

Major Contributor
There are competing priorities here. On the one hand you want as many sources of bass as possible, as this makes the LF response smoother in the room. On the other hand most main speakers will have limited bass below 50Hz, with distortion at high SPL.

if your listening levels aren’t too high, then running everything full range is a good option. the point where it makes sense to high pass your mains will depend on listening levels and the speakers themselves,

yea, that's another point. as a rule of thumb you don't want to use the whole LF extension of your mains if they are ported.....unless they are BIG

LouB

Recommend? Simple answer, yes. Better sound from the mains, much easier to get things smooth than trying to feather the sub into a full range speaker. I've tried both.

I ended up deciding that for me, 2.0 is better than 2.1 without high pass. But then I do have a lot of room gain, so your situation might be different.
Same boat here, just wish there was a simple way to get a high pass filter on an amp that doesn't have that option.

OP
D

djb

Thanks for the responses so far. I am sold on high pass filters for HT with room correction but not sure about 2.1 especially with a capable low end speaker like the Linton and a powerful amp. I do like bass heavy fuller sound.

I am using an older Denon with pre out as my pre amp into A Emotiva Basx 2. The HPF cutoff is not listed so I figured it's 80-90 hz and was setting my sub low pass to 90. Sound like a good plan? The room is medium size with vaulted ceilings which definitely creates bass traps around the sides.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@djb ideal crossover for Linton's is 80 Hz and plug the port's.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely yes. Taking the low bass away from the sats improves the midrange (less IMD). And you can play louder.

Top Bottom