• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

high end dsp from creative but cheap, can pc item be used for home audio?

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Oh here we go again for another round.

We all thought and breathed a sigh of relief that you had finally decided after many merry goarounds for the C399?

The C399 has DSP built in. So Problem solved. Otherwise use your PC and APOEQ it is free and doesn’t get any cheaper and has 1000% sound quality and is not crap.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Let
Hello
i dont troll i also posted pics + videos... in some of my topics i am real person not bot or troll i want to accomplish best possible sound quality from my small basement without investing in speaker stands etcs...
and i am not sure if i need dsp or not still,

You said you don't like tinkering. You seem however to want to extract the maximum from your system at the lowest cost possible. IOW you want to maximize your return on investment. You also listen from your PC. Am I correct.
To avoid back and forth, I will assume in the following that I was correct :D. Do not construct the following, as patronizing or condescending. We have all been ignorant at one point and continue to be in many areas of accurate music reproduction in the home... So these said:

In most instance some signal modifications (aka Signal Processing) is required for best performance in any Audio System. EQ is Signal Processing.
Drop the idea of using the Creative thingies. Toys. They are NOT for the purpose of good sound in the home.
You have a PC, if reasonably powerful (a Celeron is enough in most instance) is a powerful Digital Signal Processor for audio applications.

Once you do DSP you will have to tinker. A lot. Rinse and Repeat, be disappointed, Learn why and Re-do.. Re-Tinker. There is no way around that.
Tinkering involves:.

Learning what the problems are. Lot of reading, researching and yes, asking questions on this forum or others. Ask these here the SINAD here is perhaps the highest. :D.
Acquiring REW, the best and, an indispensable tool to do this by yourself, REW is free
Acquiring a good measuring microphone. The GOTO is miniDSP UMik-1 at about $100, from Bezos's online marketplace.
It also involves measuring (tinkering stll ;)) . a lot, often and learning to interpret the results.
Once you get yourself into DSP, then you are tinkering, You must tinker ...

or for less fuss but still some tinkering required:
Get an AVR, say a Denon AVR-X3700, one of the best reviewed here. It also has Audyssey XT 32 and you must acquire the Audyssey Smartphone App ($20.oo) to get good results. The best results shall be obtained with the Audyssey PC app at $200.oo. I don't know much about Dirac , it is however usually found in more expensive hardware...

or you get a DIRAC Live product. miniDSP makes several but you will have to tinker a lot ...

For set and forget, but still, some tinkering required... you get something like the Lyngdorf Integrated Amplifier with RoomPerfect. You set it up once (after some tinkering :)) and you are done. It however, is not cheap...Not at all, and getting the best results will involve some... measurements aka "tinkering".

I believe you have the Kef R3. If you add a pair of decent subwoofer to these , say a pair of SVS SB-2000 or Rythmik L12 or HSU ...
Add a miniDSP 2x4 HD to the system
Download REW
acquire a UmIk-1 and...
Tinker a lot:facepalm:.. You will have a system capable of sublime performance within the entire audible spectrum.

Peace.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh boy… :facepalm::)

This is really simple. Best way to get audio from your laptop to the c399 is using a USB to toslink (or coaxial) box. Something like this would work:

Generally the ones that use an Xmos should be decent enough.

No need for any DSP. The c399 has Dirac Live, and wil give you enough freedom to customize the sound in an easy to understand way.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I suspect they meant high headroom to allow for DSP. Not massively clear though!
It’s about its internal processing.

3606E275-BA72-4CF5-BF3C-455B91602916.jpeg

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Oh boy… :facepalm::)

This is really simple. Best way to get audio from your laptop to the c399 is using a USB to toslink (or coaxial) box. Something like this would work:

Generally the ones that use an Xmos should be decent enough.

No need for any DSP. The c399 has Dirac Live, and wil give you enough freedom to customize the sound in an easy to understand way.
hi i play music from my computer not laptop i have aux , digital and many other options...
Hi

Let

You said you don't like tinkering. You seem however to want to extract the maximum from your system at the lowest cost possible. IOW you want to maximize your return on investment. You also listen from your PC. Am I correct.
To avoid back and forth, I will assume in the following that I was correct :D. Do not construct the following, as patronizing or condescending. We have all been ignorant at one point and continue to be in many areas of accurate music reproduction in the home... So these said:

In most instance some signal modifications (aka Signal Processing) is required for best performance in any Audio System. EQ is Signal Processing.
Drop the idea of using the Creative thingies. Toys. They are NOT for the purpose of good sound in the home.
You have a PC, if reasonably powerful (a Celeron is enough in most instance) is a powerful Digital Signal Processor for audio applications.

Once you do DSP you will have to tinker. A lot. Rinse and Repeat, be disappointed, Learn why and Re-do.. Re-Tinker. There is no way around that.
Tinkering involves:.

Learning what the problems are. Lot of reading, researching and yes, asking questions on this forum or others. Ask these here the SINAD here is perhaps the highest. :D.
Acquiring REW, the best and, an indispensable tool to do this by yourself, REW is free
Acquiring a good measuring microphone. The GOTO is miniDSP UMik-1 at about $100, from Bezos's online marketplace.
It also involves measuring (tinkering stll ;)) . a lot, often and learning to interpret the results.
Once you get yourself into DSP, then you are tinkering, You must tinker ...

or for less fuss but still some tinkering required:
Get an AVR, say a Denon AVR-X3700, one of the best reviewed here. It also has Audyssey XT 32 and you must acquire the Audyssey Smartphone App ($20.oo) to get good results. The best results shall be obtained with the Audyssey PC app at $200.oo. I don't know much about Dirac , it is however usually found in more expensive hardware...

or you get a DIRAC Live product. miniDSP makes several but you will have to tinker a lot ...

For set and forget, but still, some tinkering required... you get something like the Lyngdorf Integrated Amplifier with RoomPerfect. You set it up once (after some tinkering :)) and you are done. It however, is not cheap...Not at all, and getting the best results will involve some... measurements aka "tinkering".

I believe you have the Kef R3. If you add a pair of decent subwoofer to these , say a pair of SVS SB-2000 or Rythmik L12 or HSU ...
Add a miniDSP 2x4 HD to the system
Download REW
acquire a UmIk-1 and...
Tinker a lot:facepalm:.. You will have a system capable of sublime performance within the entire audible spectrum.

Peace.
all of things you said are right/correct.
there is always all in one integrated box solution, they are dedicated separate solutions and they are dyi kits...
for 2nd and 3rd u can achieve better quality and price. As i have mentioned in my previous topics /
i cant get Denon AVR-X3700 in my country since its dinscontinued sold out old model ...
if its from abroad cant be written as accountant / company expense.
Compared to my naim muso 2, kef r3 bass is good, much better i also have dedicated sub i dont need more sub power. Nad have dirac live as well..
mini dsp i cant buy in my country no dealer or reseller.

Top Bottom