• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

high end dsp from creative but cheap, can pc item be used for home audio?

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 51459

Hello since most dsps are way too expensive for the things which they offer
i have found some cheap option i dont make any ads here, i found old creative product,
can i use it for my home ?

i listen music from my pc
via aux or optical whatever is possible,
after that music will go for example to nad c399.. and after that to my speakers
if i buy dsp from creative will i receive dramatic music improvement or not this is what i need to know?
Or its not suitable since its for pc /product computer product can i use it somehow like expensive dsps or its not good for the job?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you need any of this stuff?>>>

Dolby Digital decoding, virtual 7.1 surround sound, game-voice volume balancing, Scout Mode,

i listen music from my pc
via aux or optical whatever is possible,
There are better quality DACs available that are meant for HiFi. They are better than the G6.
if i buy dsp from creative will i receive dramatic music improvement or not this is what i need to know?
Or its not suitable since its for pc /product computer product can i use it somehow like expensive dsps or its not good for the job?
The answer to this depends on the first 2 questions that I asked you.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Oh, and what is your price range?
i want to improve my sound/quality at home without spending fortune for benchmark dsp for example, can this thing do the job or not?

i am not looking for DAC
i am looking for DSP
nad c399 already have build in 32 bit dac upscaling
32-bit/384kHz ESS Sabre DAC.
i am looking for DSP solution cheap solution with high end quality result.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
What do you want from the DSP? From the link it looks like the DSP is only used for up-mixing from stereo to multi-channel surround. From what I can tell it doesn't do parametric equalization (but other computer applications can do that).

P.S.
It probably only works with it's own built-in DAC.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

What do you want from the DSP? From the link it looks like the DSP is only used for up-mixing from stereo to multi-channel surround. From what I can tell it doesn't do parametric equalization (but other computer applications can do that).

P.S.
It probably only works with it's own built-in DAC.
i want high end Dsp but for small amount of money i like dsp from benchmark
https://benchmarkmedia.com/collecti...rk-dac3-hgc-digital-to-analog-audio-converter here is example of dsp.

kthulhutu

If you have a computer you can install VST plugins. That's all the DSP you need!

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

So i dont need DEDICATED DSP BOX like benchmark which cost fortune ?
will i have the same quality and improvement i listen music from my computer of course ?
but can this plugin match quality of benchmark?

kthulhutu

So i dont need DEDICATED DSP BOX like benchmark which cost fortune ?
will i have the same quality and improvement i listen music from my computer of course ?
but can this plugin match quality of benchmark?
I think you are getting terms confused. DSP stands for "digital signal processing" which can refer to any software or hardware that is altering the signal in the digital domain. For example, you could be using an equalizer, or a convolver, or a reverb plugin, an upmixer etc.

A PC is inherently the best device for performing DSP as it has a much more powerful CPU than any dedicated box you can buy.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

I think you are getting terms confused. DSP stands for "digital signal processing" which can refer to any software or hardware that is altering the signal in the digital domain. For example, you could be using an equalizer, or a convolver, or a reverb plugin, an upmixer etc.

A PC is inherently the best device for performing DSP as it has a much more powerful CPU than any dedicated box you can buy.
How much %% more sound quality i will receive with high end dsp or plugin for my pc is it noticeble or any marketing gimmick?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What will you need the dsp for particularly? I already told you the Benchmark is just a dac. DSP as was asked is for what purpose particularly? Do you need an active crossover? Do you want equalization capabilities?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How much %% more sound quality i will receive with high end dsp or plugin for my pc is it noticeble or any marketing gimmick?
The PC is better. There is no % better number.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It depends on what you mean by "quality". Except for equalization (to correct for speaker & room frequency response irregularities) ANY "processing" can be considered to DEGRADE sound.

A lot of "audiophiles" want "bit perfect" reproduction so of course they don't want any digital signal processing messing-with the digital data.

Or you can use DSP as an active crossover in a bi-amped or tri-amped setup.

Or you might want to add reverb, or you might want to boost the bass just because you like a lot of bass, or you might want to add reverb or compression, or something like that.

Reverb, EQ, and dynamic compression are the most common effects used in audio production. In audio reproduction, mostly EQ is used as a corrective effect.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey doods general question related to this thread but unrelated but it's for the same OP in both threads.

He can't buy USA product and wants to purchase locally a NAD 399 or maybe a power amp and a RME DAC/PEQ/DSP. Can you Euro peeps help him out with where to purchase gear?

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

What will you need the dsp for particularly? I already told you the Benchmark is just a dac. DSP as was asked is for what purpose particularly? Do you need an active crossover? Do you want equalization capabilities?
Dsp - in order to improve much further sound quality ,

Hey doods general question related to this thread but unrelated but it's for the same OP in both threads.

He can't buy USA product and wants to purchase locally a NAD 399 or maybe a power amp and a RME DAC/PEQ/DSP. Can you Euro peeps help him out with where to purchase gear?

i can get most
widely available brands like
NAIM, Nad, rotel, arcam, marantz...
It depends on what you mean by "quality". Except for equalization (to correct for speaker & room frequency response irregularities) ANY "processing" can be considered to DEGRADE sound.

A lot of "audiophiles" want "bit perfect" reproduction so of course they don't want any digital signal processing messing-with the digital data.

Or you can use DSP as an active crossover in a bi-amped or tri-amped setup.

Or you might want to add reverb, or you might want to boost the bass just because you like a lot of bass, or you might want to add reverb or compression, or something like that.

Reverb, EQ, and dynamic compression are the most common effects used in audio production. In audio reproduction, mostly EQ is used as a corrective effect.
i will not use bi amp i will use single amp...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well what in Bulgaria is available at your local store?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
G6 has embedded DSP (but probably not a great one) and EQ is usable, rest not really for music and presets can be stored in and set on/off with deticated button (while you have to make them on PC). For full flexibility there is no platform like PC with use of one of the players with comprehensive DSP chain's like Roon or JRiver or DAW and sea of VST plugin's when such is suitable, possible or allowed. When it's not then it's great to have embedded one all do it's both quality and usability will be limited. Forgive people telling you how altering audio signal in 64 bit FP precision will degrade it's quality after it gets down converted (using rounding) to 32, 24 or 16 bit integer by the DAC.

Creative whose a leader in complex DSP development, that Creative division is now part of Intel and it's DSD area a base ground for it's current and upcoming GPU's.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Well what in Bulgaria is available at your local store?
i can get most
G6 has embedded DSP (but probably not a great one) and EQ is usable, rest not really for music and presets can be stored in and set on/off with deticated button (while you have to make them on PC). For full flexibility there is no platform like PC with use of one of the players with comprehensive DSP chain's like Roon or JRiver or DAW and sea of VST plugin's when such is suitable, possible or allowed. When it's not then it's great to have embedded one all do it's both quality and usability will be limited. Forgive people telling you how altering audio signal in 64 bit FP precision will degrade it's quality after it gets down converted (using rounding) to 32, 24 or 16 bit integer by the DAC.

Creative whose a leader in complex DSP development, that Creative division is now part of Intel and it's DSD area a base ground for it's current and upcoming GPU's.

i wasnt aware that creative is owned by intel and they are doing gpu stuff now....

so its a bad investment this creative dsp.

is this vst plugin free can it be used with winamp or something?
sorry i am too new for home audio world.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i can get most
Show us what you can get.

Top Bottom