• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Edition XS

Veri

Master Contributor
I wanted to complete my setup with a different dac for connectivity and features reasons and stumbled upon a used Topping DX7 pro (non plus). I read that it has a high impedance ouput but I don't know much about the topic. Will it be okay to use with the edition xs, since it's on the lower end of impedance? I don't plan on using a dedicated amp.
Planar headphones have a flat impedance curve so they don't tend to care about the output impedance actually, so that's fine. As long as there is enough power on tap, you'll be golden.

Nasalmirror

Planar headphones have a flat impedance curve so they don't tend to care about the output impedance actually, so that's fine. As long as there is enough power on tap, you'll be golden.
That is nice to know! Thank you very much.

OP
mr.at

mr.at

I have the Sundara and thinking to upgrade. Im between the XS and Ananda Stealth. Any thoughts appreciated!
I'll give you the short of it. Someone I know got an Ananda and prefers the Sundara yet still.
I have not heard the same about the XS.
Also, it's not lacking in bass, as I've heard of the Ananda, and surely, of the Sundara.
For me, personally, the XS are endgame class. I like stage, I like separation, I like need bass, I like scale, I like amping things up, I like timbre, I'm okay with laidback mids. And so, in short, I love the XS.

antanast

Would the K5 Pro ESS be sufficient? Would hate to buy these and discover the volume is low…

antanast

I'll give you the short of it. Someone I know got an Ananda and prefers the Sundara yet still.
I have not heard the same about the XS.
Also, it's not lacking in bass, as I've heard of the Ananda, and surely, of the Sundara.
For me, personally, the XS are endgame class. I like stage, I like separation, I like need bass, I like scale, I like amping things up, I like timbre, I'm okay with laidback mids. And so, in short, I love the XS.
Thanks. Just wanna make sure that my fiio k5 pro ess is sufficient for the xs

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would the K5 Pro ESS be sufficient? Would hate to buy these and discover the volume is low…
K5 pro has about one watt power. plenty for EDXS .
However, there is a fascination with excessive EQing. EDXS can benefit from a mild one, but some people go to far.
Once you do, you end up using preamp reduction, that's where the bitch lies!
A preamp of -3db, means a max. output of half a watt! and so forth.
You can soon run short of power. be careful .

antanast

K5 pro has about one watt power. plenty for EDXS .
However, there is a fascination with excessive EQing. EDXS can benefit from a mild one, but some people go to far.
Once you do, you end up using preamp reduction, that's where the bitch lies!
A preamp of -3db, means a max. output of half a watt! and so forth.
You can soon run short of power. be careful .
I understood about 30% of what you said LOL. I would basically do the same as I did with my Sundaras in terms of EQing. Run autoeq and tweak it a little bit. Still enough power for my k5 pro?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understood about 30% of what you said LOL. I would basically do the same as I did with my Sundaras in terms of EQing. Run autoeq and tweak it a little bit. Still enough power for my k5 pro?
I am not familiar with autoeq.
Just keep your eyes on the preamp level.
Up to four dB , can just about get away with it, more . . .
not so good.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Just wanna make sure that my fiio k5 pro ess is sufficient for the xs
You need more power for the XS than the Sundara for the same volume. If you have plenty of headroom on your K5 on the Sundara you should be fine with the XS assuming no EQ.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a quick note. Sundara sounded great but the XS for me is on another level! Does anyone EQ it?
Yes. I do.
A gentle 3dB at 1750Hz.
And I don't use any preamp reduction.
Music loudness is greatest at bass frequencies. Once past a few hundred hertz, there is actually plenty of headroom, not requiring any preamp reduction.
I think they have enough bass, so I leave that area alone.
I ain't a bass-head .

antanast

Any recommendations for a portable DAC/Amp? Im using the Dragonfly Red, but it "kills" the music. Level is fine, but nothing compared to my Fiio K5 Pro. Looking for something portable...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any recommendations for a portable DAC/Amp? Im using the Dragonfly Red, but it "kills" the music. Level is fine, but nothing compared to my Fiio K5 Pro. Looking for something portable...
Balanced- E1DA 9038S 3rd gen
Single ended - EIDA 9038D

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Balanced- E1DA 9038S 3rd gen
Single ended - EIDA 9038D
They are good for sure.
But, power output is barely enough (single ended is too weak), and connected to a phone, they would drain the phone too fast.
If it was me, I get a decent used Mojo first gen.
It has the power, it is rechargeable, it has the sound quality, built like a tank.
Just make sure the battery is in good condition.
In UK, they go for no more than £200.
Mojo has a slightly warm sound, that calms down the slightly energetic treble of EDXS.
If you have the money, and feeling daring, then Mojo2 it is! the bass definition through EDXS alone will melt your heart.
At £400.
At £100 mark, you won't get sound quality and the power you need in one package.

antanast

They are good for sure.
But, power output is barely enough (single ended is too weak), and connected to a phone, they would drain the phone too fast.
If it was me, I get a decent used Mojo first gen.
It has the power, it is rechargeable, it has the sound quality, built like a tank.
Just make sure the battery is in good condition.
In UK, they go for no more than £200.
Mojo has a slightly warm sound, that calms down the slightly energetic treble of EDXS.
If you have the money, and feeling daring, then Mojo2 it is! the bass definition through EDXS alone will melt your heart.
At £400.
At £100 mark, you won't get sound quality and the power you need in one package.
Any thoughts on

FiiO Q3 MQA​

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont find the E1DA anywhere online to buy from except aliexpress

For the money, it is very good.
Questions are
- does it have enough juice?
- how fast it will drain your phone?
You also need to buy a balanced cable too.
With the cost of cable, you are fast reaching the price of a used Mojo.

Top Bottom