• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HiFi axioms

noise17

1. Any sound a human can hear, can be measured.
  2. Even if it can be measured, it is not certain that it can be heard by anyone.
  3. Whether a sound can be heard or not, can be determined by ABX tests.
  4. If a human claims to be able to hear a sound, it is possible to either:
    a) devise a measurement that can measure it or prove its existence,
    b) or conclude the claim is not true.
  5. Electronics and acoustics are sciences. Any claims regarding electronics and acoustics can be measured and must follow physics. Claims not explainable by current science, demands evidence. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
  6. Neutral audio reproduction can be measured. Humans have individual tastes, but neutral audio reproduction does not depend on taste.
  7. Audio reproduction is not neutral, if any frequencies are emphasized or deemphasized with regard to the source, or if sounds, that are not part of the source are reproduced. Sounds from the source must reproduced with the correct timing.
  8. Everything in audio can be measured, but some audio perceptions are not yet well-defined, e.g. soundstage.
  9. For a tweak to acknowledged, it needs to be measurable, and to be hearable.
What do you think?

I think that we are not all scientists of any merit. I'm not enough of an acoustic scientist to tell you what particular speakers sound, or measure, if you prefer, over other ones so I have to trial end error some things. It may be why a perfect measuring DAC doesn't sound as good to me as the non-perfect measuring one next to it. It may be dumb luck with the room, it might just appeal to my personal preference. It might just gel with with my not particularly expensive speakers and each makes up for the other's shortcomings. Do I want to go down the rabbit hole of acoustic treatment with my complete lack of education on the subject? Nope. I don't have a set-aside listening room and I rather like the person I'm married to and want to stay married to her.

Science is great. It's why I can type this and you're reading it. The reality is we do not live in a world of perfect testing conditions. The good news is that testing is helpful. I'm keeping the perfect measuring DAC for my next set of headphones. That way, if the sound sucks, I know it's the amp or the headphones. If I decide to start messing with room treatment at any level, I can pop it into the system as a baseline.

Thanks for making me think and put this into words.

Top Bottom