• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hi Fi Spending Smarter Than Car Spending?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've known a few people who've been in horrific car accidents, including my parents. But even more on motorcycles. Not that my experience is statistically significant and so on but it's something I think about once in a while.

Many years ago I dated (and almost married) a nurse who worked in accident and emergency/casualty. She had a complete aversion to motorcycles resulting from the number of corpses, people having limbs amputated and head injuries from motorbike accidents which were a semi-regular part her work. I must admit her attitude rubbed off on me and I have never had an urge to get a motorbike.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Many years ago I dated (and almost married) a nurse who worked in accident and emergency/casualty. She had a complete aversion to motorcycles resulting from the number of corpses, people having limbs amputated and head injuries from motorbike accidents which were a semi-regular part her work. I must admit her attitude rubbed off on me and I have never had an urge to get a motorbike.

My wife's co-worker had her son beheaded at age 20 in a motorcycle accident.

Tks

Major Contributor
My motorcycle was stolen ;(

Never got back into after that... It was this model

Triumph%20Daytona%20675R%2012.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

My father was a doctor and mother a nurse and I grew up having motorcyclists being referred to as "Temporary Australians". Many years ago, I too dated, bought a house and nearly got married a nurse who worked in A&E/Intensive care. Many late-shift nights I'd go to pick her up and make the trip up to the top level ICU where I'd get to hang out and chat with the nurses and sometimes a seriously messed up patient who wasn't going to make it. Several times I'd talk to someone and then the next day or few later I'd ask how he was going. Often they had died.

I love the look of motorcycles and the engineering, but the number of roadside crosses out where we live on the winding mountain roads and inconsiderate car drivers, reminds me they are truly 'Temporary Australians". In fact, the first boy killed only a month or so after finishing senior in 1984 was riding a motorcycle on those same mountain roads at an obscene speed. He came around a corner and hit a car head on which was slightly over the centre line. Instant. Never forgotten, he had the world in front of him.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have a 2002 1200 Bandit ready to go in the garage, whenever I need a little adrenaline boost...

1575881484237.png

It's what passed as a "standard" motorcycle back then.

History:
Yamaha 1969 250 DT1-B Enduro
Suzuki 1972 500 Titan
Suzuki 1973 250 Savage Enduro
Yamaha 19?? RD-350
Suzuki 1979 GS750N
Then real working years
Then retired
and the 2002 Bandito

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a 2002 1200 Bandit ready to go in the garage, whenever I need a little adrenaline boost...

View attachment 41918

It's what passed as a "standard" motorcycle back then.

History:
Yamaha 1969 250 DT1-B Enduro
Suzuki 1972 500 Titan
Suzuki 1973 250 Savage Enduro
Yamaha 19?? RD-350
Suzuki 1979 GS750N
Then real working years
Then retired
and the 2002 Bandito
Ah, a fellow RD350 owner. Had a 1973. Like this one. 6 speed.
1575882126904.png

Like riding the bikes, but seeing people with cell phones was the thing that made me decide they were simply too dangerous. Maybe one day if self driving cars become the norm I'd give it another go. I've ridden friend's bikes now and again even so.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Ah, a fellow RD350 owner.

Mine must have been older, bought cheap used, had a five speed, gold colored model, maybe '72. It was ok, but sort of a beater, didn't have it long,

I miss two-strokes.

Tempted to get a dirt bike again from time to time, but probably won't.

As a kid in Jacksonville the best riding was an area of sand dunes, several square miles not too far from the house, you could even get there ostly off-road.

It's all highway and strip mall and shopping center and houses and apartments now.

This was the dune area in 1970...

1575883679549.png

Here's a remnant

1575883743870.png

15 foot high dunes, soft white sand, no trees or bushes, after a rain to harden the surface you could fly...

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
That is a magnificent looking machine.

Rode like butter. Never had more fun in my life than those days with it. Had it for a few months and after a few weeks of riding comfortably and being used to the bike in the same way you're used to your car... It's gone.

First and last. Maybe some day another. But looking less likely :-\

gikigill

Ah, a fellow RD350 owner. Had a 1973. Like this one. 6 speed.
View attachment 41919

Like riding the bikes, but seeing people with cell phones was the thing that made me decide they were simply too dangerous. Maybe one day if self driving cars become the norm I'd give it another go. I've ridden friend's bikes now and again even so.

I got childhood memories of me riding with my dad on the RD350 in the 80s and then a bit in the 90s too. We had a blue Indian spec RD350 that was a stunner of a machine. The sound it makes at 8000 rpm is seared in my memory.

Now of course I,m not allowed to ride bikes because its too dangerous:(

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Partially true, I would say. Definitely true for the Japanese luxury SUVs.

But there are also things like these:

They may be moderately non-crap as dragsters but as sports cars they are monumentally shite.
IMHO of course.
The increase in the number of these POS on the roads has more than cancelled the use of electric car emissions since they are so unbelieveably crap on fuel efficiency since they are stupidly overweight and have the aerodynamics of an apartment building.
Plus law allows them to have a higher bumper line, so not are much more dangerous too.

Not keen on them myself ;)
Fine for farmers though though they don't even have more internal space than an estate car.
Inverted Tardis for those who know Dr. Who.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I stopped flying when the industry went to monoplanes, two wings are better than one.
It was rumoured that Frank Whittle, the inventor of the jet engine, would only fly on aircraft with 4 engines. One intrepid interviewer asked him if it were true. When he said yes the interviewer asked why. "Because they don't make any with five...".
Long time ago now, he wouldn't be doing shorthaul nowadays that way.
I suppose being in a test cell testing prototypes concentrated the mind on what could happen.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I rarely listen to music when driving. Too distracting, I switch it on only in a traffic jam.
It's a confusing sentence you are replying to, but I read it as music is enjoyable, but driving is stressful.
I like listening to music whilst driving, the combination of the 2 can be really great. I can see classical being a challenge, unless you car was really quiet.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fine for farmers though though they don't even have more internal space than an estate car.
I completely agree with all your other points as well, but they are even worse than this, they barely have any more interior space than the salon they are based on. Cars on stilts is how I refer to them.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a confusing sentence you are replying to, but I read it as music is enjoyable, but driving is stressful.
I like listening to music whilst driving, the combination of the 2 can be really great. I can see classical being a challenge, unless you car was really quiet.
Yes classical is sort of pointless, far too much dynamic range to hear in a car, even a quiet one.
My point was that I find listening to music distracts me too much from concentrating on my surroundings as well as I can without the distraction.
OTOH I accept that it kills time. A bit like using a hands free phone, legal but as dangerous as being drunk on test...

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It was rumoured that Frank Whittle, the inventor of the jet engine, would only fly on aircraft with 4 engines. One intrepid interviewer asked him if it were true. When he said yes the interviewer asked why. "Because they don't make any with five...".
Long time ago now, he wouldn't be doing shorthaul nowadays that way.
I suppose being in a test cell testing prototypes concentrated the mind on what could happen.

When I worked on British Rail at Paddington, London, I saw the Royal Train. It had two locomotives. Why? In case one broke down. The rest of Her Majesties servants had to make do with one locomotive on our trains.

In fact the two locomotives were usually used for pulling rolling stock from the carriage yard at Old Oak Common to the main line station and were always dirty, scruffy looking. Until, they were required for the royal train when they were transformed after undergoing a full service and repaint including 'white walled' wheels.

Last edited:

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I stopped flying when the industry went to monoplanes, two wings are better than one. Those old Sopwith's sure were sturdy.

This new design is for you:

The designer seems to have forgotten that the plane has to land (no undercarriage) but I'm sure he's working in it.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My point was that I find listening to music distracts me too much from concentrating on my surroundings as well as I can without the distraction.
I don't find it a distraction, if anything for me it enhances concentration on long drives. I speculate because different parts of the brain are involved, and there is no language processing involved, until the sat nav starts talking, then my multitasking fails.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Top Bottom