• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with Naim Uniti Atom

After reading Amir’s test results of the uniti atom I am totally upset. I feel like I fell into the black hole watching to many reviews on the Atom which were really good compared to Amir’s bad review. I am getting the Atom today so Amir if you are listening what should I do? I already set the Bluesound Node back,should I send this thing back too?

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
You’ll probably never hear the difference a few db of sinad will make, it’s perfectly decent enough and if the user interface is to your liking then it’s a good buy.

Id be perfectly happy using/owning one

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
After reading Amir’s test results of the uniti atom I am totally upset. I feel I to the black hole watching to many reviews on the Atom which were really good to Amir’s bad review. I am getting the Atom today so Amir if you are listening what should I do? I already set the Bluesound Node. Ack should I send this thing back too?
The review here at ASR is poor for the Uniti Atom. I suggest you look at something else.

Last edited:
OP
S
Does anyone have any suggestions on something that will replace the Naim uniti atom.

Last edited:

jensgk

Forum Donor
After reading Amir’s test results of the uniti atom I am totally upset. I feel I to the black hole watching to many reviews on the Atom which were really good to Amir’s bad review. I am getting the Atom today so Amir if you are listening what should I do? I already set the Bluesound Node. Ack should I send this thing back too?
You should look at Amirs reviews from a pure engineering standpoint. The Unity is not bad, but for the price the audio circuits should have been engineered much better.
The other reviews are not wrong, - if they are that positive, then you and I (and most people) would most likely also enjoy listening to the Unity.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
If you’re wanting a streaming amplifier then perhaps a Cambridge Audio Evo would suit you, I use their CXNv2 streamer and I’m very happy with it.

OP
S
The Cambridge was my second choice in my research, how is the app with the Cambridge? The speakers I have for this is the Klipsch Forte IV sensitivity 99 db.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
The Cambridge was my second choice in my research, how is the app with the Cambridge?

Very good and intuitive in use but I have roon so for the previous 2 yrs I’ve not actually used the app.

OP
S
We are totally Apple in my household, so probably Airplay most of the time. I really enjoy music especially now that I am retired and have all this wonder time to enjoy it….my hearing is still good so I want a good sound.
Lots of reviews on the Uniti were stressing how well made it is, really high end parts so who knows what is really going on.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After reading Amir’s test results of the uniti atom I am totally upset. I feel like I fell into the black hole watching to many reviews on the Atom which were really good compared to Amir’s bad review. I am getting the Atom today so Amir if you are listening what should I do? I already set the Bluesound Node back,should I send this thing back too?
If you’re anything like me (former Linn, Naim, Meridian groupie) it’ll drive you nuts that it’s not what you expected from the brand. That doesn’t mean it’ll sound bad it’s probably competent. But knowing it’s not great … I couldn’t live with it.

OP
S
I have played about 30 songs with the Uniti Atom into the Klipsch Forte IVs and the sound is amazing… I don’t know about the measurements but maybe our ears and brain is the best way to measure things…

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have played about 30 songs with the Uniti Atom into the Klipsch Forte IVs and the sound is amazing… I don’t know about the measurements but maybe our ears and brain is the best way to measure things…
The measurements aren’t great. But the measurements do not indicate it should sound poor either.

Misconstruing what the data does mean is just as bad of a mistake as supposing the measurements don’t have much meaning.

delta76

Major Contributor
Does anyone have any suggestions on something that will replace the Naim uniti atom.
Naim is kind of a "luxury" brand where you spend a lot of money for the brand name instead of performance. The performance is fine, but you can get equivalent or better with an AVR (but if space is a premium or if you like the brand or the look, it's a different story)
Measurement is about accuracy. Not everyone like a flat response, somebody like a sound signature like you do, and that's fine. the point of transparent equipment and flat response is that you can EQ it easily to your liking. Otherwise, you fall in the trap of "this component must go with that component" non senses by the "audiophiles"

jensgk

Forum Donor
I have played about 30 songs with the Uniti Atom into the Klipsch Forte IVs and the sound is amazing…
Good for you!

I don’t know about the measurements but maybe our ears and brain is the best way to measure things…
No, no and no. Ears cannot do measurements. Real measurement instruments can detect sounds, our ear will never hear, also any sound your ear can hear can be measured.

BUT your own ears (and brain) are the ones that ultimately needs to be satisfied. If you like what you hear, then you can disregard whatever the measurements say.

This does not, however, mean that the sound you hear is the "correct" neutral sound, only the measurements can determine that. Nice sound is not necessarily the right sound.

jensgk

Forum Donor
Should you return it or not?

Nobody can answer that for you, but here are my thoughts:

It really depends on what your preferences are:
How important are the looks of the device?
How important is the Brand status of the device? (When showing it off, does it matter that people know the brand, and that it is expensive?)
How important is the user experience of the device? Does it need a display, etc. ?
How important is it that is has good measurements, if you can't hear it anyways?

Many people on AudioScienceReview (me included) suffer from what I would call "fear of missing out from the perfect sound".

What I mean by this is the following: I cannot hear the difference between a perfect measuring device and devices like your Atom. My ears are simply not good enough for that. I am 55Y with normal hearing. I cannot hear sounds over 13KHz, which is normal.

BUT the pure thought that I might be missing out from an even greater musical experience, means that I would probably buy a device that measures better, even though I know with my brain, that I cannot hear the difference. Knowing that I have a good measuring device somehow gives me peace of mind, when listening to music. But it is all in my brain...

The fact that the Naim Atom has gotten so many very good reviews, means that a lot of owners of it are very happy with it, And they do not know that its measurements are not perfect (although they are by no means bad), and many do not care at all, even if told about it.

You can be perfectly happy with your Naim Atom, and have just as great musical experiences as with any other device. Just don't catch the "fear of missing out from the perfect sound" bug :)

I, myself, would return it, and buy something cheaper like the Harman Kardon Citation Amp. It has not be measured, but is probably relative on the same level (measurement wise) as the Naim Atom. But it cost 1/5 th of the Naim. It does not have the good looks, nor does it have a display. But is does have more power. Having that, I would enjoy having a better look at the market, and compare some more devices.

I have owned the Atom for about 2-3 years and use it every day. It is actually a very good steamer and player. I even find the headphone amp very useable with my Dan Clark Stealth phones, which I though would not work. (I also have the Topping A90 Discrete for comparison, which of course is better, but the Atom does indeed get the job done). The weakness of the Atom is mainly the power amp section, which although it works fine, is of relatively low power. If you were trying to drive low sensitivity speakers (say less than 84db) at high SPL, and using lots of base, you would find problems. With speakers like the Klipsch Forty IV you will have no trouble from the amp. The Atom seems to sound and work much better than it tests.

johnah5

I had the Unit Atom and loved it. I paired with with Forte IV, Heresy IV, Buchardt S400 1st edition and they all sounded great and loved the display. It worked and streamed well. It is not close to my current NSMT/Esoteric/Pass Labs system which cost $27K. Glad you are happy with the sound. This is a journey so have fun!

Top Bottom