• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me pick a new receiver

Undefinition

For the last dozen or so years, my workhorse has been a NAD T744. No it wasn't the beefiest receiver out there, but it claimed like 70 Watts, with headroom to like 110 Watts or something. Unfortunately the display is developing a nasty flicker and I think it may be a sign to retire it. (Yes, it still works and sounds good. But I find the flickering really irritating)

There were several things I liked about the NAD that I need for its replacement:
  • Multiple Optical/Coax inputs that I can bus to different Inputs
  • The ability to name Inputs
  • Adjustable sub frequency
  • Very low noise floor
  • At least 80 WPC @ 8 Ohms
  • Stable with tough loads... when I'm designing and testing I sometimes will push Impedance limits and/or short things without realizing it. I need something that can take some abuse
So as you can see from this list, I think most Integrated amps and Stereo Receivers are out of the question. AVRs are unique that they have these features plus (sometimes) halfway decent amplification built-in. Also usually you get a very nice, very useful remote.

Part of me wonders if I should look at 10-15 year-old receviers to get the most bang for my buck. I don't need HDMI inputs. My dad bought a Denon 3803 back in the early 00s, and honestly I'm wondering if something like that might be the ticket. I like its little "Input" knob--and the satisfying relay clicks that go with it--rather than pressing buttons labeled "CD," "DVD," etc. Like I said I'm gonna rename the inputs anyway.

OP
Undefinition

Undefinition

I had someone ask me the other day what kind of amps I like to use, and I think they were expecting me to name-drop bleeding-edge or boutique names, but honestly I like to use mid-fi equipment a lot of the time. And I think the big reason for that is that I design for a "common denominator."

I guess it's because I come from a recording background. Like, when you mix a song in the studio, it may sound awesome, but that's not what the average person is going to listen to it on. Likewise the average person who builds one of my designs might not have 100 lb monoblocks or a boutique DAC. Maybe all they can afford is a budget AVR, or an AliExpress/Amazon Class-D black-box special. I want the speaker to sound great for them as well (and also not blow up their amp). Now, if they happen to have a space heater Class-A setup, or 2000 Watts of rack-mounted Pro Audio gear in their living room, then that's just a bonus! In theory that extra headroom should only make the speaker open up more.

Last edited:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Have you checked Ebay, Reverb, etc for a used NAD T744 ?
Since you like the i/o capabilities, it might be the way to go, if the price is right.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome
All three support Audyssey XT32 and provide Pre-out:
Denon AVR-X3400H not easy to find new ...
Denon AVR-X3600H can be found new, new sometimes...
Denon AVR-X3700H current...

OP
Undefinition

Undefinition

Have you checked Ebay, Reverb, etc for a used NAD T744 ?
Since you like the i/o capabilities, it might be the way to go, if the price is right.
I have. And the price is fine. I was just wondering if this is an opportunity to have a new faceplate to look at ;)

Last edited:
OP
Undefinition

Undefinition

Welcome
All three support Audyssey XT32 and provide Pre-out:
Denon AVR-X3400H not easy to find new ...
Denon AVR-X3600H can be found new, new sometimes...
Denon AVR-X3700H current...
I've noticed those Denon's seem to have gotten high marks. I'll keep an eye out for them. I don't really need anything to be new.

And I don't really need room correction. I AM the room correction :p https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy

Top Bottom