• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me choose between these 3 measurement interfaces!

coastpunk

I'm an audio DIYer, and I want to start making high quality measurements of some of my designs - power amplifiers, headphone amplifiers and preamps. I've got a decent scope, some high power dummy loads and some highly precise attenuators I've built - so all I need now is a decent soundcard or interface for REW/Arta/RMAA testing!

I recently got store credit at a specific online store here in South Africa, and have the option of the following 3 mid-tier interfaces:

Focusrite Clarett 2Pre
Tascam UH-7000
Apollo Twin Mk2 Duo

Which would you choose, and why? My priorities are obviously on the cleanest possible inputs and outputs, robust build quality and (ideally) a decent headphone/monitoring output.

Thanks!

mansr

Major Contributor
Tascam UH-7000
I have one of those. Out of the box, the internal SMPS generates quite a bit of noise just above 20 kHz and multiples. Although not a huge issue for recording music, it does interfere with making accurate measurements. After removing the internal PSU in favour of an external 12 V supply, recordings are clean.

A strength of this device is that the ADC modulator noise only becomes apparent above 60 kHz. In many other interfaces, it starts rising already around 30 kHz. This may not matter for your intents, but it's something to bear in mind.

The input gain is set with two large knobs on the front. While they operate very smoothly, getting the channels exactly matched is difficult. Again, this may or may not matter to you.

When it comes to OS support, the UH-7000 is not USB Audio Class compatible, so you're relying on vendor drivers. These work fine with the latest Windows 10. No idea about Mac. Forget about Linux.

Hope this helps.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm an audio DIYer, and I want to start making high quality measurements of some of my designs - power amplifiers, headphone amplifiers and preamps. I've got a decent scope, some high power dummy loads and some highly precise attenuators I've built - so all I need now is a decent soundcard or interface for REW/Arta/RMAA testing!

I recently got store credit at a specific online store here in South Africa, and have the option of the following 3 mid-tier interfaces:

Focusrite Clarett 2Pre
Tascam UH-7000
Apollo Twin Mk2 Duo

Which would you choose, and why? My priorities are obviously on the cleanest possible inputs and outputs, robust build quality and (ideally) a decent headphone/monitoring output.

Thanks!
My first thought was the RME ADI-2 PRO fs :cool: but then I read that you can choose between those 3 listed above only:oops:. I remember having seen recommendations for the Focusrite Clarett Series (e.g. here), so just search at ASR.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
These are not the same price. For its price clarett 2pre is pretty good.
If you want something better get adi2pro fs. It's very good.
You still need to build attenuator for power amp measurements.
And you will be benefited to build a preamp for clarett output for it to operate at lower distortion region.
For best performance, a notch filter for the input is also helpful. Depends on what you are going to achieve.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Apollo connects via Thunderbolt which mostly limits you to Mac computers. Is that okay, do you mostly use a Mac?

Some Windows machines do Thunderbolt 3 (though reports are it can be iffy with some gear), and you'll need a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter for the Apollo. If you are on a Windows machine does it have Thunderbolt 3?

The Clarett is a current product while the UH7000 is actually discontinued. That doesn't mean it won't work for your purposes. Also the Clarett comes in a couple different versions. Some are USB and some are Thunderbolt. Which is available to you? Or can you make use of either?

OP
C

coastpunk

I have one of those. Out of the box, the internal SMPS generates quite a bit of noise just above 20 kHz and multiples....

...the UH-7000 is not USB Audio Class compatible, so you're relying on vendor drivers...

Okay, thanks for the heads-up! I think those may be deal-breakers, in which case I'll rule it out for now. As sexy as it is :)

The Apollo connects via Thunderbolt which mostly limits you to Mac computers. Is that okay, do you mostly use a Mac?

I use both Windows and Mac, so I can use either. In addition have the choice of both the Clarret USB or Thunderbolt, and the Apollo USB version is on offer as well. So I reckon I'm flexible.

Thanks for the replies everyone! At this stage I'm leaning towards the Clarett - does anyone have measurments of the Apollo Twin MkII? The stated manufacturer specs are seemingly too good to be true ;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
sip........... does anyone have measurments of the Apollo Twin MkII? The stated manufacturer specs are seemingly too good to be true ;)

I think they seem too good as well. My guess is they are comparing noise floor at low gain with output at high gain to give an unrealistic dynamic range spec. But I don't know that.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
I would say get the Clarett 2Pre USB. Not sure if Thunderbolt worked reliably on Windows machines.
User feedback is the USB versions work just as well as the earlier TB bus connected.
I have seen good looking tests done with REW, many using the lower spec Focusrite Solo. A Clarett should be plenty.
The drivers for Thunderbolt with Windows seem hit or miss. That was the reason for the two product lines. And the TB line seems like it is no longer in current production.

OP
C

coastpunk

Thanks everyone again - I settled on the Clarett 2Pre. Have it set up and working like a charm - I may start a new thread with some measurements. Also, a step-by-step guide for getting decent loopback results - it took me a fair amount of fighting with the (terrible) Focusrite Control software.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Just read the Focusrite Control manual a couple times. This was written in England. But targeted user has prior experience with interface setup.
Once the lightbulb dimly came on I could route the signal through and measure the results of my 4Pre. Works and measures well.
Tested mine with digital and analog input signals. This allowed verification the routing inside the interface was setup properly.
The 4Pre uses a FPGA to control the routing of the many inputs and outputs. Assume the 2Pre is the same.
I think the 4Pre is the only Clarett that has true line (analog) inputs. The other models have a mic stage on the analog inputs. Can be set for unity gain.
Wanted the balanced four channel monitor output the 4Pre offers. Or would have purchased a 2Pre.

Top Bottom