• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help - Connecting subwoofer to studio monitors

Icarium86

Hi, I'm new to the audio world. Sorry, this must be one of the more foolish questions asked here, but here goes.

Source is my PC, which I connect to the Topping E30 DAC via optical. From the DAC, I connect RCA cables to the SVS SB3000 input. And from the sub output, I then connect to the Adam T5V seperately? The problem is my RCA cables are joined together for most of their length, and only split out for about 10cm or so. The studio monitors are quite far apart. I've attached a photo of the RCA cable.

I searched my country's online marketplace, and would a female to male RCA cable work? I've only found one type. Does the quality matter?

Additionally, any tips on how to better integrate the subwoofer to my stereo system?

Appreciate any help and thanks in advance.
IMG_20201222_010329-min (1).jpg

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
May I ask what country?

From the DAC, I connect RCA cables to the SVS SB3000 input. And from the sub output, I then connect to the Adam T5V
Correct.

E30 -> SVS SB3000 input -> SVS SB3000 output to left and right speaker. You don't need a stereo RCA (like the one in your picture.
You could use something like this.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_srr1050.htm
Two of them, one for the left speaker and one for the right.

Additionally, any tips on how to better integrate the subwoofer to my stereo system?
Start here: https://www.svsound.com/pages/merlin

"
Setup #2: 2-Channel Application
In this application, the loudspeakers and subwoofer will be connected to a 2-channel stereo pre-amplifier (not an AVR). Many 2-channel enthusiasts prefer to operate the loudspeakers over their full bandwidth, and only want to use the subwoofer below the natural bass roll-off frequency limits of the loudspeaker. Below are the recommended steps to ensure proper set-up and performance from your loudspeakers and SVS subwoofer:

• Connect a subwoofer cable to the A/V Receiver subwoofer channel output jack, and to the L or R input jack of the subwoofer. Set the subwoofer volume control to mid-point
  • Set the subwoofer amplifier's low pass filter frequency to 80 Hz. Note, the subwoofer amplifier's low pass filter slope is fixed at 24 dB/octave. This is the optimal low pass filter setting for your SVS subwoofer when operating your Adam T5V Studio Monitor loudspeakers full bandwidth.
  • Play some familiar music source material, and then adjust the volume of the subwoofer until it blends seamlessly with the loudspeakers.
"

Start here.

Budget?

A miniDSP + UMIK1 would be the next step for optimum integration.

OP
I

Icarium86

Thanks so much for your help. I'm from Malaysia.

So from the link you sent, I assume this cable would serve the same purpose?
Screenshot_20201222-022322.jpg

But for the stereo RCA cable that I already have, it's okay to connect DAC ---> Sub input?

I've actually ordered a Umik-1 from miniDSP, but it hasn't arrived yet. Spent the last 2 weeks reading a lot on this forum on REW, room treatment and etc. But got stumped by the most basic things such as RCA connections haha.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Top Bottom