• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hello from Savannah, GA

Jazzman53

Hi All,

I just found this forum and wondering how missed it before. Anyway-- old guy here, past retirement age but still working (two ex-wives). I'm into DIY and I listen mostly to jazz and oldies. I tried multi-channel but I've now gone back to two-channel audio and loving it. I have some vintage Carver gear, which I refurbished, and I've built quite a few electrostatic speakers over the years.

Speaker building is a psychosis that I can't afford to indulge much these days, but to the extent that I can be an enabler for others thru my website, it's still rewarding.

There are a ton of sub-forums here and I'm having fun exploring them and hopefully will make some new friends. From time to time I will post some of my speaker projects in the DIY section.

Regards,
Charlie

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Welcome aboard.

You mention your website...

Post a link.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Wow.... (That's my highest compliment, being a man of few words)

As for the "beam splitter". I'd considered putting a vertical tube of some undetermined diameter at some undetermined distance behind my MartinLogans for the purpose of redirecting/dispersing the backwave of the panel.

Thinking about it again, I did have a 90 degree V of some composite boards I'd made as speaker stands that I stood behind the panels, but with no measurements, and indeterminate listening results, they didn't stay very long.

Later, I may have decided a little muffling (they fire into some rockwool I put in the corner behind for some bass attenuation) and looking at measurements showing the lack (-25dB is the highest reflection) of "interference" from reflections in general was what I liked, and didn't pursue redirection, being happy enough with the direct sound.

I've not seen the comparison of flat/curved/segmented you displayed, either.

Interesting.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jazzman53

Actually, I didn't start that design with the idea of placing a diffuser behind the panel. I just wanted transmission line bass and the box volume was so large, the challenge became where to put it. It then dawned on me that shaping the box as a V-section beam splitter would allow extending its volume upward, behind the stat panel, and minimize the speaker's footprint.

Here's a build photo that shows the beam splitter being built:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ibE3Y5-W3...RPXLDM/s1600-h/Cabinet+Nearing+Completion.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@Jazzman53 I know I've seen those somewhere before... terrific work and I bet they sound magnificent. At one point, I had a modded pair of Acoustat 1+1 and loved them, but my current wife (I also have two exes) made it clear that even her amazing tolerance had its limits. And nine foot panels were beyond the limits.

OP
J

Jazzman53

@Jazzman53 I know I've seen those somewhere before... terrific work and I bet they sound magnificent. At one point, I had a modded pair of Acoustat 1+1 and loved them, but my current wife (I also have two exes) made it clear that even her amazing tolerance had its limits. And nine foot panels were beyond the limits.

Thanks SIY,
You may have seen them in the September 2017 issue of AudiXpress magazine, or on one of several other forums.
And yes, it's best to stop at 2 exes :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks SIY,
You may have seen them in the September 2017 issue of AudiXpress magazine, or on one of several other forums.
And yes, it's best to stop at 2 exes :)

That was it!

And yes, this one is decidedly my last.

Top Bottom