• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Heard D&B audio line arrays - Wow!

ManFromKerala

Happened to hear D&B Audio line arrays in a live set up yesterday.
The venue was an open air auditorium - with concrete, concave walls on back stage, and a parabolic steel cover. The Audio Engineer was mentioning to me that it is a nightmare for live sound.

He has a D&B based kit - line arrays and subs. [https://www.dbaudio.com/global/en/]
The sound was spectacular. The bass was very dry and very deep. The tone rich and never harsh.

There was a bit of a flutter, that sounded similar to comb filtering during sound checks, but as soon as the auditorium was full with people, the sound was very clean and precise.

I was wondering if they have smaller speakers that suit home audio well.

Requesting folks to share any subjective/objective inputs around D&B.

Cheers

MacCali

Major Contributor
Happened to hear D&B Audio line arrays in a live set up yesterday.
The venue was an open air auditorium - with concrete, concave walls on back stage, and a parabolic steel cover. The Audio Engineer was mentioning to me that it is a nightmare for live sound.

He has a D&B based kit - line arrays and subs. [https://www.dbaudio.com/global/en/]
The sound was spectacular. The bass was very dry and very deep. The tone rich and never harsh.

There was a bit of a flutter, that sounded similar to comb filtering during sound checks, but as soon as the auditorium was full with people, the sound was very clean and precise.

I was wondering if they have smaller speakers that suit home audio well.

Requesting folks to share any subjective/objective inputs around D&B.

Cheers
I’ve heard some good line array speakers, really like the soundstage and all over sweet spot makes it really sweet.

Was it music or movies you demo’s?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Line Arrays at concerts are doing something completely different to a domestic HiFi loudspeaker. Domestic speakers are attempting to reproduce the sound heard in the control room of a recording studio. Line Arrays in concerts are designed to control sound dispersion to maximize SPLs without wasting energy in the wrong locations.

I've never been convinced that Line Array theory can be applied in domestic situations. Whilst domestic speakers deploying it sounded quite wrong compared to a studio monitor to me.

This is a good intro https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/line-arrays-explained

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
DB build good stuff but expensive. They also provide data about most of their speakers with GLL files available to download on their website.
I processed a few and you can see the results on spinorama.org. Results are good but not great. It is also possible that the results are already EQed
since most of the boxes have a dsp inside. Line arrays are too powerfull for home but their point source speakers are a good fit (the small ones like the 8S); Note that since they are optimised for high SPL (127dB for the smallish 8S) you need a sub to go with them. Crossover is around 80 so they are good fit also for HT.

Top Bottom