• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headshell connector on older turntables?

GearNostalgia

I have been looking at vintage turntables and wonder how I can figure out if the can be used with a new standard headshell that screws on. On this one it seems like the Yamaha GT2000 may have the same "screw" socket... is this an old standard? What is it called?

Attachments

• IMG_1026.JPG
    IMG_1026.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Skärmavbild 2023-07-24 kl. 11.40.13.png
    Skärmavbild 2023-07-24 kl. 11.40.13.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 84

JP

Major Contributor
SME connector.

JP

Major Contributor
60’s.

spiral scratch

These are meant to be pretty standard. I have one tonearm that doesn't work with the cheaper generic models, but they work with my other sme arms so it's more to do with the arm. I've cleaned the pins in the arm and exercised the springs so it should be OK, but it still doesn't connect with all my headshells. The pins in the headshells can sometimes be moved, I can't remember if I tried to adjust them. Generally shouldn't be a problem though.

Valentino

Old thread. This connector type was actually invented by Ortofon. SME adopted it and so did many Japanese manufacturers.
I do not know when two guiding slots became common. Ortofon had one on the top for long (52mm) carts and one on the bottom for short (36 mm) carts so that overhang should not become wrong.
EMT used the same connector type with the connector pins twisted 45 degrees.

Top Bottom