• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones

Haider

Hi,

I currently use my Sennheiser PX100 v1 with an E1DA 9038D. I also have a pair of Shure SE110s that I use for commuting. They were both about £50, I used to £50 was expensive for headphones...I'm thinking of upgrading PX100s. The HD650 have a good write up, I also saw Shure do SRH1840. I like open back headphones. I bought some Sony XM3 but didn't like the closed nature - gave them to the wife - I like the airy expansive space of open back headphones but I want bass and detail too - e.g. the subtle nuances of a voice. I like all kinds of music from acoustic, rock, Brit pop, hip-hop, rap, grime, house & electronica. So I'm open to recommendations and opinions...

Thanks
Haider

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The HD650' are definitely a set of headphones to have, use EQ to get the best out of them. Another decent option on budget would be to get Hifiman Sundara' or the entry level Hifiman HE400se.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
From Amirm's tests, looks like all cans need a bit of eq.
Seems there is a consensus on the 650's. A lot of bucks to buy mail order but not a lot of choice. Just hard for me to spend more on headphones that a set of drivers for a good speaker build.

PX100 is discontinued. Maybe some good sales on remaining ones. HA, $430 on Amazon! List was $125.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You should try out the AKG K371...

The HD560S are a great option for open backs that are cheaper than (and in some ways superior to) the HD600/650/660S.

OP
H

Haider

I've ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD560S £170 & HiFi Man Sundara £299 from and fulfilled by Amazon.
I'll compare them against the PX100 version 1 (£65 in 2004) I already own. E1DA 9038DA will act as the receiver (DAC & amp), I have tracks downloaded to local storage at 24bit/48KHz (flac files) in Amazon Music HD on my laptop and iPhone 7 Plus. Will be interesting to see what 2.75 & 4.6 times more money and 18 years of advancement deliver; should be nothing short of blown away. Amazon offer a 30 day return period so enough time for a good evaluation...

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The HD650' are definitely a set of headphones to have, use EQ to get the best out of them. Another decent option on budget would be to get Hifiman Sundara' or the entry level Hifiman HE400se.
I've ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD560S £170 & HiFi Man Sundara £299 from and fulfilled by Amazon. Amazon offer a 30 day return period so enough time for a good evaluation...

It's so subjective. I was surprised at the 560 (sic) review here on ASR. They were rated high on the Harmanic Scale, but after I received mine I sent them back because they didn't sound as good to me as the 540s they were meant to replace, but after so many years had fallen apart. I thought the 560 sounded 'thin' and looked cheap in the build department. I could ignore the cheapness, but not what I considered to be substandard sound quality. Maybe the set I was sent was defective?

The 'fact' that all headphones 'require' EQ tells you all you need to know about the state of headphone listening preferences.

Preferences are what they are. How can you argue with that? If you ask 100 people what hamburger they prefer, and the Big Mac comes out on top, does that mean McD makes the best hamburger?

Unfortunately, it's difficult to audition headphones. There are a few mail order outfits allowing returns, however because of the 'deadly' disease scare going around, and since that doesn't seem to be moderating back to sanity, it's likely just a matter of time until headphones will be considered 'not returnable'.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's so subjective. I was surprised at the 560 (sic) review here on ASR. They were rated high on the Harmanic Scale, but after I received mine I sent them back because they didn't sound as good to me as the 540s they were meant to replace, but after so many years had fallen apart. I thought the 560 sounded 'thin' and looked cheap in the build department. I could ignore the cheapness, but not what I considered to be substandard sound quality. Maybe the set I was sent was defective?

The 'fact' that all headphones 'require' EQ tells you all you need to know about the state of headphone listening preferences.

Preferences are what they are. How can you argue with that? If you ask 100 people what hamburger they prefer, and the Big Mac comes out on top, does that mean McD makes the best hamburger?

Unfortunately, it's difficult to audition headphones. There are a few mail order outfits allowing returns, however because of the 'deadly' disease scare going around, and since that doesn't seem to be moderating back to sanity, it's likely just a matter of time until headphones will be considered 'not returnable'.
I have put my pair of HD560' up for sale because I am enjoying the Hifiman HE400se too much for their sound, though the 560's aren't that bad either.
I think that auditioning headphone's in person or via mail order is going to be phased out due to the transmissibility aspect of diseases.

OP
H

Haider

I know what you mean personal taste is personal taste. My wife still likes the Bose Acoustimass 15 setup we had ages back with EQ applied in the AVR. It has some strengths when it comes to movies in an average living room but...

After chasing the transparency unicorn, I've settled on 'what I like' with regard to Hi-Fi. Rooms colour the sound of a system, so you'll never really can achieve the holy grail of 'as the producer intended'. I like the sound of my PC via asynch USB to SPDIF convertor to a Marantz PM6006 out to a Arcam Muso (micro bookshelf) & Logo (subwoofer).

I'll be super careful with the packaging and return one of the headphones back...

Dackel

I know that the review on this very forum was no favorable however given your choice of music I would really recommend you test a set of dt990s. For the type of music you listen to it suits very well and my go to headphone for pop and rock. Contrary to what is written once the pads have flattened somewhat they are not really that bright. Also if you do find them bright a slight amount of EQ at 10-14 Khz does the trick. You might just save yourself a wad of cash. There is a reason why they are the most popular headphone out there.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Having owned the PX100 and currently PX100ii I am not sure I would describe them as open, they are very dark and veiled sounding imo, they are certainly good for the size. The HD-650 will have more balanced tonality, more mid range focused, better imaging and slightly more sound stage, however aren't as bassy as the PX100.

I suspect if you enjoy the PX100, the logical upgrade is the HD650 (Its night and day better than PX100 imo). If you value detail retrieval, imaging and soundstage and are ok with a thinner midrange, Hifiman are very popular, the Shure has been described as boring by some... do you plan on getting an amp?

OP
H

Haider

Having owned the PX100 and currently PX100ii I am not sure I would describe them as open, they are very dark and veiled sounding imo, they are certainly good for the size. The HD-650 will have more balanced tonality, more mid range focused, better imaging and slightly more sound stage, however aren't as bassy as the PX100.

I suspect if you enjoy the PX100, the logical upgrade is the HD650 (Its night and day better than PX100 imo). If you value detail retrieval, imaging and soundstage and are ok with a thinner midrange, Hifiman are very popular, the Shure has been described as boring by some... do you plan on getting an amp?
Hmmm I found the 650s lacking in bass, once I applied Amir's EQ they were much better. Sundara sounded best so far with EQ applied. To be honest there are improvements but I was expecting more considering they were £50 and from 2003, we've had 20 years of improvements. When I got my Marantz PM6006, Arcam Muso & Logo setup it sounded massively better than the Bose Acoustimass 15. Amp wise at the moment it's the 9038D but who knows the future...

Last edited:
OP
H

Haider

560S is a PX100 with coil-overs, a super-charger, lightweight racing alloys and stripped out to cut down on weight. It's what a PX100 2022 edition should sound like. I bought my PX100s in 2003, technology marches on. The Sundaras', I'm gelling with Amir's EQ settings applied. I have applied another 2.5 dB low shelf from 400Hz and the treble topped up with 2dB@8KHz high shelf. If you look at the frequency response curve of the Sundaras' from 4KHz and especially after 5KHz it's like looking at the Himalayas. For £300 that's shocking... I'll keep the Sundaras' as it's the best of the bunch but the bunch leaves a lot to be desired. In stock form without software correction with Equalizer APO & PEACE it's diabolical. Wish Porsche would start making headphones, the engineers at Stuttgart could teach these guys a thing or two...

Can I ask why you asked about amps? From my limited experience, the 9038D is loud enough and the sound is neutral/transparent/spacious. Is there something I am missing out on with not having a desktop amp?

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can I ask why you asked about amps? From my limited experience, the 9038D is loud enough and the sound is neutral/transparent/spacious. Is there something I am missing out on with not having a desktop amp?
I think the only thing that you could get more out of a desktop amp is more current aka power delivery to the headphones. Planar's tend to be inefficient and a decent desktop amp would help with the power inefficiency.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I did not see the comment above about already having an ample power source. But it sounds like you already know exactly what it is you like/want so I’m not sure any additional subjectivist opinions would help. I actually just ordered the Sundara, despite having Ananda, I suppose I’m a Hifiman fanboy.

OP
H

Haider

I think the only thing that you could get more out of a desktop amp is more current aka power delivery to the headphones. Planar's tend to be inefficient and a decent desktop amp would help with the power inefficiency.
TBH honest I'm enjoying the form factor I can just take my laptop and phones and I have a sound-system. I have quite a lot of Amazon CD quality and 24/48KHz flac files on a small 1TB external drive...The reason I got into the phones, is with children I never get time to listen to music in the lounge. They are busy playing there or watching YouTube. My chill-out room is too small at 8x6 feet...

OP
H

Haider

I did not see the comment above about already having an ample power source. But it sounds like you already know exactly what it is you like/want so I’m not sure any additional subjectivist opinions would help. I actually just ordered the Sundara, despite having Ananda, I suppose I’m a Hifiman fanboy.
I suppose I have been using/burning it in and with EQ software and Amir settings plus a bit of bass (400Hz) and treble boost (85KHz) they are shining. Listening to Ernest Ranglin Below the Bassline, coming up trumps, not missing the Marantz, Muso or the Logo sub...Picks out good details was listening to Richard Tunnicliffe Bach Cello Suites sounded natural and detailed...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Wish Porsche would start making headphones

OP
H

Haider

I think these are just logo-ed up

OP
H

Haider

TBH honest I'm enjoying the form factor I can just take my laptop and phones and I have a sound-system. I have quite a lot of Amazon CD quality and 24/48KHz flac files on a small 1TB external drive...The reason I got into the phones, is with children I never get time to listen to music in the lounge. They are busy playing there or watching YouTube. My chill-out room is too small at 8x6 feet...
On the other hand if I need the power/volume then the Arcam rHead:)

Top Bottom