• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone stand - suggestions needed!

Marcins94

Hello all!

I am an engineer and a big fan of perfect audio, especially on my headphones. Some time ago, I bought the AKG k612 headphones and I love them. Perfect and clean audio, very open scene and the design! Worth every $ I spent on it.
However, the one problem I found is that I am concerned about the headbands distortion, when not using it and hanging on headphone hanger.
That's why (as an engineer) I started thinking of the solution, how to store my k612 and be calm about headbands. I've made my headphone stand (so I don't need to hang k612) and I want to share it with the world.
However I would like to meet the premium look of the k612, it is quite challenging though! I am wondering about several aspects, so I created my own survey/research.
Could You please, as true Audiophiles, help me with this one, so I'll get rid off my dilemmas?
If you leave your email in the form (totally optional), I will send you a discount code once my headphone stand is available for sale!

https://forms.gle/CFve9wpMed6gt6YCA

PS. The survey should take no longer than 1 minute to complete!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The headband on my AKG K712Pro is very chilled...

20200703_221854 (Small).jpg

*edit* And welcome to the forum! :)

OP
M

Marcins94

Thank You for the photo. Love Yours stand :) Is Yours also selfmade?

Dreyfus

I would only bother about pad compression when lateral pressure is being applied. Most stands are designed to avoid that by just holding the headband. If headband compression is your issue, use foam for cushioning on the top.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a bath towel to cushion mine when I lay them down. I use them whenever I sit at the desk and am strapped in many hours per day. No stand req'd. :D

phrwn

This is the best one I've tried - I'm surprised how good it is for $20. No issues with headphone or earpad compression with this.
51VQ6uGP-9L._AC_SL1001_.jpg

brachypelma44

I just lay mine down on a 12 inch square throw pillow. Simple, cheap, looks nice enough, and it does the job.

I tried a couple of the upright stands, but what I found is that none of them really allow enough space for the plug coming out of the bottom of the earcups, so the wire gets kind of pinched against the ground at a sharp angle, which can't be good for it. While I could unplug the wire to avoid this issue, it's simply not practical for something I use constantly. I'm not plugging and unplugging my headsets daily, as it will eventually wear out the plug/hole.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

warpdrive

I have this Woo Audio one which I paid around $60 at the time. I wanted something that was weighted heavily so it wouldn't topple over, since I don't want my heavy Focals to fall over. It's all metal and weighs 4 lbs so it's very stable. And the curve on the holder conforms to the curve of the headband. I know people say you can spend $10 and get the same function, but I view this as a buy it for life kind of thing.....it will outlast me so I don't mind buying a sturdy and nice looking one.

DSC01260.jpg

LYDF

My window handle works just fine: I won't be needing it anymore, since my monitor covers it.
As a plus, it's safe from my cat's paws.

Blank Verse

I have never thought headphone stands are a good idea for the exact same reason you are apprehensive. I have a nice padded box where the headphones sleep in a horizontal position, as we humans do. When you have a headphone out there on a stand you have other things to worry about also: dust and dirt, UV rays damaging the foam, etc.

mugbot

Forum Donor
Top Bottom