• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Recommendations

noobie1

I'm considering picking up an open ear pair (under $750) of headphones for late night listening. Currently own the following headphones and IEM:

Sennheiser HD700 (EQ to Harman curve)
Fiio FH7 (EQ to Harman curve but listenable without)

I was thinking of getting 6xx but thought it might be a little redundant since I already own the HD700 (EQ'd). I'm looking for something that is low distortion, amenable to EQ, and has very good low frequency performance (quality > quantity). I have some headphone amps so sensitivity is not an issue.

Any recommendations?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For late night listening (with EQ) you don't need low distortion headphones because you won't be reaching any SPL that makes the headphones distort anyway. Low distortion is only of importance when you blast the headphones at levels where your earlobes start to flap around.

Perhaps choose a very EQ-able closed headphone like the DCA Aeon closed RT.
When you don't want to EQ and like to listen at low SPL levels look for 'warm' headphones like the Meze 99 or something similar.
The low boost will make it sound more tonally balanced at low levels but bloated and 'fat' at higher SPL.

OP
N

noobie1

Just to clarify, late night listening doesn't mean I have to worry about noise bleeding and disturbing others. I usually prefer open ear headphones over closed and plan to listen at normal levels.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Then an EQ'ed HD700 is already fine. Comfy as well but needs EQ for sure. Dial in a bit more bass at lower listening levels. Distortion is not an issue in this case.
Late at night folks don't listen at loud levels unless they are in a club.

cursive

Forum Donor
I'm a big fan of Hifiman, so my suggestion would be to try the Ananda if possible. Pretty sensitive and easy to drive from different sources, and has a very pleasing all around sound, especially the bass. It sounds great as is, but also takes to EQ very well so you can tweak, and modify to get it just right for your preference. $699 right now new, or $599 open box on hifimans store.

brachypelma44

My wife and I love the Sundara (EQed with the oratory1990 settings for the 2020 revised, with a little more bass than his settings) so much that I ended up buying 3 of them...one for her on the laptop, one for me in the office, and one more in the home theater room. I cannot believe how good they sound for $350. (I guess the amps and EQ help them sound their best, too.) Bass is punchy, but never boomy. It hits, and then it's gone almost instantly.

I have not tried the Ananda, but I've heard in various reviews that it's not a blow-away upgrade in sound quality from the Sundara, but a different sound (and it has larger ear cups if you have big ears.) It's also much easier to drive with only a phone or other portable device than the Sundara is.

I have the 6XX, but after using them for 7 weeks, the clamp pressure is still terrible. I get a headache after a few minutes of wearing them. I've tried gently bending the metal part of the band outward dozens of times. I've left them stretched out over a speaker when not in use, hoping that they would get used to being in that shape. Everyone has told me that they loosen up after a few weeks, but they're still physically painful. I've thrown them in my closet, and will sell them at some point. The sound quality isn't bad, if a little boring, but comfort is equally important, and the 6XX absolutely fail in that department.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
The HD700 is not a bad headphone, but it benefits greatly from EQ. Almost everyone likes the comfort and it is reasonably easy to drive.
If you have that already, then what are you looking for?
One can never have too many headphones of course (oh blissful denial), but from what you are describing, I don‘t really think you need another one.
If you want one anyway, is there any way you can audition a few? That would be very helpful to find something that fits you (both in terms of wearing comfort and sound) well.

Last edited:

Bernd

Forum Donor
One can never have too many headphones of course (ahh, denial is a bliss), but from what you are describing, I don‘t really think you need another one.

Indeed!!!! I have a pair of HD560s (those have terrible clamp force as well), a pair of Sundaras and for Christmas I bought myself a pair of Focal Clear. The Clears are amazing but they require listening attention. If I want to listen casually and read or do other stuff I but the Sundaras on. And when I'm away I take the 560s with me.

rcmo

I second 3125b as I find the HD700 a great set of headphones. I always consider to sell them to fund an upgrade but end up keeping them, and the upgrade. Recently I got a pair of HD800S and still keep the HD700.

ProBlogger

AKG K712. It’s a nice compliment to the Sennheisers and has become my go-to headphone.

LMW

The Drop HE4XX (planar magnetic) is a really good headphone when EQ'd. This replaced my original Sennheiser HD650 that I had been using for 8 years. Oluv's gadgets (youtube) did a side by side listening/testing comparison with the Senn HD800. When EQ'd the HE4XX sounds more natural and is better sounding than the Senn. HD800. Just goes to show that high priced headphones are not always better.

OP
N

noobie1

I second 3125b as I find the HD700 a great set of headphones. I always consider to sell them to fund an upgrade but end up keeping them, and the upgrade. Recently I got a pair of HD800S and still keep the HD700.

I heard the HD800 a few years back. At the time, I thought they would be a noticeable improvement over the HD700. Since it's been awhile, I'm not as confident anymore. I am thinking maybe stretching the budget to pick up an HD800S or HD8XX. Do you ever prefer the HD700 over the HD800S in any scenario? Worthy upgrade?

rcmo

To me, the HD800S is a much better headphone. Without equalization, to me this is indisputable. I always use equalization, though, and no matter how you equalize them there's this openness with the HD800S that the HD700 (or even any K???) cannot match. My perception is that bass can also be pushed much lower and stronger with the big ones. I always prefer the HD800S, but I do use both. The HD800S in the living room driven by an RME and the HD700 in the bedroom plugged into a Qudelix.

devopsprodude

My wife and I love the Sundara (EQed with the oratory1990 settings for the 2020 revised, with a little more bass than his settings) so much that I ended up buying 3 of them...one for her on the laptop, one for me in the office, and one more in the home theater room. I cannot believe how good they sound for $350. (I guess the amps and EQ help them sound their best, too.) Bass is punchy, but never boomy. It hits, and then it's gone almost instantly.
+1 for the Sundara headphones

Sophia Garcia

I'm considering picking up an open ear pair (under $750) of headphones for late night listening. Currently own the following headphones and IEM:

Sennheiser HD700 (EQ to Harman curve)
Fiio FH7 (EQ to Harman curve but listenable without)

I was thinking of getting 6xx but thought it might be a little redundant since I already own the HD700 (EQ'd). I'm looking for something that is low distortion, amenable to EQ, and has very good low frequency performance (quality > quantity). I have some headphone amps so sensitivity is not an issue.

Any recommendations?

The best headphones are the ones that you invest time in learning. No pair of headphones is going to have a perfect frequency response, so to produce good mixes on headphones requires listening to a lot of music on those headphones and understanding which frequencies they over-emphasize, and which they miss. There will be no getting around having to cross-check your mixes on other listening devices.

A couple guidelines I'd recommend are to find a headphone with good bass response (headphones are typically weaker in the lows than highs, due to the physics of using a small transducer), and a comfortable over-ear design, as wearing headphones for extended periods of time can get uncomfortable. I would generally avoid headphones specifically designed for DJs, as these typically overemphasize bass, by design.

According to me, an app matters a lot in deciding music quality. So choose a right app and boom!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A couple guidelines I'd recommend are to find a headphone with good bass response (headphones are typically weaker in the lows than highs, due to the physics of using a small transducer)

The driver size is not the reason for lower amounts of bass. It is determined by the baffle, cup design and driver itself as well as pads and seal.
But sure, a headphone with good bass extension is a good way to start. The less EQ it needs the better the result in general.

EQ is essential when one wants to produce/mix on headphones. When properly EQ'ed (and that's not as easy as it looks) there is no need to learn where the headphones over-emphasize or lack. Best to use monitors for final mix/production though.

Top Bottom